• Register Today It's free!

SAS is now underway!

Ok - the front swap is underway. I will be using:
'75 EB D44
JD 3.5" VR coils
JD radius arm drop brackets
F150 discs and knuckles
JD track-bar mount

Brake lines will be run either to the center of the axle and split there (similar to the EB setup) or run down the frame and back up the RA to avoid the brake lines getting twisted or caught up in the springs.

I will be swapping the yoke in the D44 to match the current driveshaft. Will I have any issues with driveshaft length in the front?

Steering - have some questions here - what is the tie-rod-over-knuckle thing I've heard of?

J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

cool,
did you ever figure out what thread that the radius arms were?

cool, I'm thinking about getting a set of heims, that will thread onto the back of the radius arms:D

get a little more movement, more mounting flexibility. I ran into the problem that my RAs are too far apart, need to get them on the inside of the frame, I don't like what I have set up now, and I think that having 1 stud to mount them to rather than locating a RA bracket, would just be a hell of a lot easier that re designing any existing cross members

What about ride quality? The RA bushings absorb a lot of shock. Are you going to incorporate a bushing into it?

J

ok, I just ordered the Wild horse RA brackets, I'll see what I can do with these. Thanks for the advice. BTW, do you happen to know how far apart your arms want to sit naturally, I think mine may be bent, so I'm trying to get the right measurements, then get new arms. Jon, have you tried to articulate your axle yet?

Articulation is mad! I'll measure the mounting points for my RA's tomorrow afternoon and take some detailed pics for ya...

J

cool, that's good news
I tryied to flex out my fornt end, but it's not happeining:( I think the skyjacker ttb RA mounts I tried to use are binding like you wouldn't believe. Maybe my new brackets will be here late next week:D

You're gonna dig the new brackets - I have them and love em!

J

they were my original plan, but funding ran low, I just hope I can avoid cutting up that cross member like that:D

What buckets did you end up using? The earliest I can find are 1980 bronco buckets, I wounder if these would work with EB springs?

I used '75 buckets.

Try calling Jeff's Bronco Graveyard - you can get the buckets there.

J

Ahh ok. I couldn't find them on the site. And have been too lazy to call. These people are loving me right now (the EB parts places).:D

Ok - more odds and ends setting me back - oh well...

This time it's the shock mounts. I went with the F250 mounts from a 2wd and cut the angle off to get a smoother weld. That worked great - but the shock ends up too close to the frame and while flexing, the shock will hit. Anyhow, that's easy to fix - need new shock mounts :)

Here's a pick of the shocks...
8shock1-med.jpg

And one of the tire underneath at riding height...
8frnttire1-med.jpg

Someday I'll get to come out and play again!

J

Originally posted by FMExplorer
Ok - more odds and ends setting me back - oh well...

This time it's the shock mounts. I went with the F250 mounts from a 2wd and cut the angle off to get a smoother weld. That worked great - but the shock ends up too close to the frame and while flexing, the shock will hit. Anyhow, that's easy to fix - need new shock mounts :)

Here's a pick of the shocks...
8shock1-med.jpg

And one of the tire underneath at riding height...
8frnttire1-med.jpg

Someday I'll get to come out and play again!

J

Hmm if you would have left the angle would it have worked? Just curious since these are hte mounts I will be using dunno if I need to space them out.

Good to know. I'll probably end up getting another set and running dual shocks up front like you did.

The front mounts are from James Duff - they weld right to the EB bucket and cost $45 for the pair - well worth it - and they line up better than using the F350's up front...

J

Back