SAS made for Explorers. Interested? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SAS made for Explorers. Interested?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What all would I have to provide to compete this "kit". What would be the total cost? Or better yet what has everyone else had to spend to SAS their Explorer's?
My question exactly.
Now I know the total cost can vary greatly depending on how you decide to build it. I
just want to get an idea of the minimum I would have to spend.

I can only speak for a 91-94 as thats all I have done.

Dana 44 (1991 Jeep Wagoneer) 125.00 Dollars
Bent Up SAS Brackets (Roughly) 125.00 Dollars
Shackles 50.00 Dollars
Leaf Springs 250.00 Dollars
Custom Steering 250.00 to 500.00 Dollars
Brake Lines 100.00 Dollars

This will get the axle under you vehicle. A large amount will be in whether you do it yourself or have someone else install it.

If you go with the Dana 44 then you will need new rims and adapters for the rear axle. This will keep the bolt pattern the same from front to back axle.
If you go with a Dana 30 then your rims will work as they share the same bolt pattern as your rear 8.8 axle.

You will also then need a custom driveshaft made for the front (roughly) 250.00 dollars

Then the cost of regearing and locking your axles. If you so choose to do this.

So your looking at around 1325.00 dollars before your rims, adapters (wheels), lockers, or gears. You can make this as expensive or as inexpensive as you want. You need to look at the following:
What size tires?
How hard do I wheel?
Do I need lockers?
Do I need Gears?

Cory,

$$$. I just havent heard much about your kit and how well it has held up.
I would be interested to know what your brackets cost for a 1994 Leaf sprung axle?

will this fit a 98+ ranger? i know that the 95+ explorers share the suspension with the 98+ rangers so it should right?

Yes. The SAS manufacturer can make these to any measurement that you need.

I just heard back from the owner of Bentup. He likes what he sees from the Explorer crowd.

The front and rear brackets are only 125.00 plus shipping. Not bad folks.

I can get a list of exactly what you will need to do this on a 91-94. The 95 and ups would be very similar with the exception of the steering box.

***and the sliders are in the development stage.

Whats with the low hanging bracket? looks weird.

If I were to compare Bentup kit with that of CRL Customs brackets, I would say I like the CRL Customs one more.

But thats only if....:D

So order from CRL :rolleyes:

I still havent heard how much the CRL brackets would cost?

I used cj shackle reverse front hangers from MORE offroad and in the rear a set of modified warrior shackles. I basically made the came setup as shown in the picture, but I'm sure the allpro tacoma sas kit would do the same the braketry looks the same. I also used rancho 44044 front 2.5 lift springs for 80s model grand cherokee.

Are the sliders in production yet?
-E

I would go to www.bentup.com and drop the owner a email. See what he can offer us.

Those brackets look nice. That's basically about what I built from scratch. I have closer to $3k invested but I did everything top notch and no half ass work. Consider that many axles will need brakes, bearings, seals and some other TLC to get them right on.

Check out my SAS thread for prices and other misc parts to consider...

Dead Link Removed

Yes, I also had to to brakes, bearings, gears, etc. This is by no means cheap but if you have an extra 3-5k sitting around then go for it :)

Not to bring this back up, but I actually found Bentup.com from a totally unrelated source. My friend just recently purchased his SAS kit and had AJ's brother (along with a few others) install the kit. They actually were working on it this weekend, just about done (took 2 days total).

I am looking to purchase front and rear bumpers, sliders and a an SAS kit (eventually, right now I need a new bumper so I can convince the GF on this).

The other reason I mention this is that I live in Sacramento where the owner of Bentup is located. I am willing to offer my vehicle up for mock up of things if the need be. I have a 1997 Ford Explorer (4 door).

So, if you're still interested, keep up on the post. I plan to have a new rear bumper on in a month or so from him.

Very nice. Please keep us posted. I still plan on getting the SAS brackets from him for my trail explorer.

Well, just to update everyone. AJ was out of town for a week or so it sounds like. We have a planned meeting next Wednesday. I did explain that I was a part of this group, and willing to offer up my X to mock some of the parts up, we will see what happens when I meet up with him on Wednesday.

Also, I plan to have a new rear bumper done up while there. I was in a very minor parking lot accident, but my rear bumper has been dented and pushed in slightly, so I am planning on having him make me a rear bumper that is a combo between the front and rear. I want it to have towhooks and a tow receiver, but also have it wrap around the sides to replace the stock Chrome Side skirts like the front one does.

Once I meet with him, I'll post everyone on where he's at and what's up.

Well guys, some bad news. My roomate just told me he's moving out at the End of the month, and since I've still got another 4 months in my contract, I have to pass on getting my bumper made right now, at least until things loosen up a little.

I did notify AJ, and explained that I am hoping I can still talk to him and let him take measurements for parts so that you guys can order from him.

Out of curiousity, what all is everyone interested in from him? I could try and get pricing from him to if you guys tell me what you want (and he still wants to meet).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Cali' Explorer
Out of curiousity, what all is everyone interested in from him? I could try and get pricing from him to if you guys tell me what you want (and he still wants to meet).
An affordable wristed radius arm for SFA Fords!

okay, that is just me..........but I am interested

Back