SAS + OHV to SOHC motor swap, transmission, tc, and harness questions and guidance requested | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SAS + OHV to SOHC motor swap, transmission, tc, and harness questions and guidance requested

Reaction score
City, State
Selkirk, MB
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport 4wd
I'm rolling my project truck into my garage later this week, and could use some guidance on the harness.

The truck in question is a 97 sport 4wd, and it's ohv power plant seems pretty rough. I also have a parts truck, an 01 2dr 2wd 4.0l sohc, and my current daily, a 97 sport 4wd sohc on 35's, along with a 03 superduty sourced dana 60.

AsOECzrm.jpg

My rough plan so far is to pull the motor/ecu from the 01 parts truck to use in the new (*cough*) rig, and mate it to the 5r55e and (maybe) transfer case from my current daily.

Long before the motor swap happens, I'll be loping off all the front suspension and slinging the d60 and a (still to be acquired) sterling 10.5 under it.

My concerns:
  1. Will I be able to mate the explorer's vss sensor to the sterling 10.5 (with an appropriate tone ring)
  2. Will I have issues mating the abs sensors on the d60 to the explorer harness/ecu?
  3. which harness will I need to use? I assume the sohc/ohv harnesses are completely different. If I use the 01 harness, how would I control the tc? Will I have issues mating the 97 5r55e to the 01 harness?
  4. Should I use the 97 sohc 4wd harness, in which case I'll also need to swap the cam sensor/intake
  5. Am I a complete fool for sticking with the stock transfer case?? (I love me some shift on the dash) and if so, suggestions?
  6. Anyone want to donate to my 4 link and tire fund? ;)
Aside from the finishing touches (body work to clear tires, custom driveshafts), is there any other huge issues I'm missing ?

Back