• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

SAS Part 2 the rebuild

OK I have made the decision that I am going to redo my SAS. I would like to do a radius arm setup, and hopefully use my current grand waggy axle.

So my question is does anyone know if the axle is wide enough to use the weld on wedges? Or will I have to get some builder brackets and modify them to weld on to the cast housing?

These are the wedges i was planning on using;

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
I'd just go with your own radius arm design using some poly bushings - kind of like those Jeep "Y" arms.

Rubicon Express' "long arm" (which is what JEFE used on his SAS):

(btw, isnt that reservoired shock mounted upside down?)

crazyflights

Reaction score
City, State
St. Joseph, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 1 ton Jeep
The Jeep style setup would work also, and maybe actually be little easier to build? Can you get close ups of your mounting areas on the truck now.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Rubicon express isn't ur only option, there's Clayton and so on. Or build it yourself.
Posted via Mobile Device

crazyflights

Reaction score
City, State
St. Joseph, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 1 ton Jeep
Should be easier to build that style yourself, but if you buy duffs your not going wrong either, and they are stout!!

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
And the "Y" style radius arms allow you to change the pinion/caster angle with the top link - which you probably wont do very often but with the traditional Ford radius arms, you would have to buy new "wedges".

Turdle

Habla tortuga
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
True-to change the caster you need off set wedge bushings, which come in 0, 2, or, 4 degree off set. You can use them upside down to achieve the same change of angle in the opposite direction depending on how low your radius arm brackets hang. ( Lower brackets increase caster, higher brackets decrease caster)

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Build your own. My brackets are welded to the cast section and to the tube. My 37"s still rub on the arms even with wheel spacers. My 35"s with no spacers rubbed as well.

crazyflights

Reaction score
City, State
St. Joseph, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 1 ton Jeep
Is your truck still all together?? We have couple guys coming out sat evening camping and doing night run then trails sunday, you wanna join??

rabbit91

Reaction score
City, State
Surrey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 LIMITED V8 SAS 35s
bump bump

MidnightRebel07

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
:dead:

Chad sold the rig before he changed the suspension up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

rabbit91

Reaction score
City, State
Surrey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 LIMITED V8 SAS 35s
Awww darn!