SAS Part 2 the rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SAS Part 2 the rebuild

OK I have made the decision that I am going to redo my SAS. I would like to do a radius arm setup, and hopefully use my current grand waggy axle.

So my question is does anyone know if the axle is wide enough to use the weld on wedges? Or will I have to get some builder brackets and modify them to weld on to the cast housing?

These are the wedges i was planning on using;

CBUSHINGTABS.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd just go with your own radius arm design using some poly bushings - kind of like those Jeep "Y" arms.

Rubicon Express' "long arm" (which is what JEFE used on his SAS):
0811_4wd_08_z+2004_jeep_wrangler_unlimited+long_arm_suspension.jpg

(btw, isnt that reservoired shock mounted upside down?)

The Jeep style setup would work also, and maybe actually be little easier to build? Can you get close ups of your mounting areas on the truck now.

I will get some pics tonight. But those Rubicon Express long arms are more expensive than the Duff radius arms.

Rubicon express isn't ur only option, there's Clayton and so on. Or build it yourself.
Posted via Mobile Device

Should be easier to build that style yourself, but if you buy duffs your not going wrong either, and they are stout!!

And the "Y" style radius arms allow you to change the pinion/caster angle with the top link - which you probably wont do very often but with the traditional Ford radius arms, you would have to buy new "wedges".

True-to change the caster you need off set wedge bushings, which come in 0, 2, or, 4 degree off set. You can use them upside down to achieve the same change of angle in the opposite direction depending on how low your radius arm brackets hang. ( Lower brackets increase caster, higher brackets decrease caster)

Build your own. My brackets are welded to the cast section and to the tube. My 37"s still rub on the arms even with wheel spacers. My 35"s with no spacers rubbed as well.

Is your truck still all together?? We have couple guys coming out sat evening camping and doing night run then trails sunday, you wanna join??

Still together have not started getting parts together yet. But we do have plans this weekend already, or I would be there in a heartbeat.

bump bump

:dead:

Chad sold the rig before he changed the suspension up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awww darn!

Back