SAS people. Please read. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SAS people. Please read.

my question is, Does Cory run his rig at 70 miles an hour down the highway? On a trail only rig, I would run them, who cares if they wear out you can compensate for sloppy steering at 5mph.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So what do you all think is the best way to go when doing an SAS, leafs, coils, or coilovers. Just wondering because I need to start planning my SAS. PeAcE

I'm doing coils in the front and SOA(spring over axle) in the rear. Should be almost even.

Rattlesnake,
With a '96, I would go leafs - a much easier swap. Check out Buchvilleman in the SAS registry.

J

actually coils shouldn't be all that bad. THere is a degree of farication either way you go.

There seems to be a lot of people going SAS on a second gen. I would really sit down before I begin and weigh out the pros and cons. That IFS will do a lot more than most people think. And there are several alternatives out there for running a larger tire on our IFS.

Lots of misinformation being spread around here.

How many of you that say heims are bad have run them in your rig?

TREs wear out too. Both require some maintenence. You can get heims with grease fittings if you want.

I've run them on other rigs I've had without problems. Pay a little more and get the better quality heims and you won't regret it.

Also, from finishing Robb's SAS and starting Josh's, I would say that coils are actually going to be easier than leafs.

I wanna run heims on my steering, as a matter of fact I am going the same route as FMExplorer. Only thing I am debating is using heims or bushings on my Radius arms. I could easily tube the ends of them and put heims in, but I am getting loads of mixed info as to if it will help flex. I sould seem to think it would be much less restrictive than the bushings. I am doung the EB setup, but I want to get as much flex and performance out of it as possible.

Here guys, i started this thread over on Pirate, see if it helps any, maybe clear up somethings.

Heim joints

I've had my heims for a year now and I've only had to replace one of my lower radius arm heims due to wear. The better heims have races which do not require lubrication.

I'll post pics of the steering system in a few minutes - I am VERY impressed with it...

J

sweet!~
I will prolly run heims on my RAs. I think it will be easier and perform better.

And here are the pics...
8steering1-med.jpg

And a test on the truck...
8steering2.jpg

Well worth it...

J

Very nice. He does great work. I would have thought the drag link would be bent.

Originally I thought so as well - but it doesn't need it after test fitting...

J

I just wonder how it will handle articulating and how it will be with the trac bar, my track bar is bent.

Jon--looks like it's coming along nicely. I'm assuming you can drop one side of that off and adjust it for alignment.

Also, could you show me a front shot of your explorer? Just curious cause it looks like your coils are \ / a little bit. I think mine are going to be that way too.

Originally posted by taxxman2k
I just wonder how it will handle articulating and how it will be with the trac bar, my track bar is bent.

Trac-bar is bent for engine clearance...

The most important thing to remember is that they don't have to follow the same lines.

Just make sure their planes are the same. It is all about the plane from the pitman arm to where it mounts on the tie-rod in relation to the plane of the trac-bar from the frame mount to the axle mount.

You could have all kinds of crazy, useless, weak bends, but as long as the planes are the same, the bumpsteer should be minimized.

Lengths should be close as well.

What about the driveshafts. Will they need to be extended? With what? Or , can add on to the stock ones?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by ahhjaws
What about the driveshafts. Will they need to be extended? With what? Or , can add on to the stock ones?

depends how big you go... i forgot your particular setup you plan on running, so i cant say specifics :)

Back