SAS people. Please read. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SAS people. Please read.

Originally posted by RFR2212
depends how big you go... i forgot your particular setup you plan on running, so i cant say specifics :)

What was it, I think 6" in the front and 5.5" in the rear. I believe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had my 6in skyjacker on w/ the stock drive line and was fine.

Originally posted by RFR2212
I had my 6in skyjacker on w/ the stock drive line and was fine.

Great!! That what I like to hear. Free!!

Originally posted by ahhjaws
Great!! That what I like to hear. Free!!
But then again, as we know, all explorers are different! :p

Originally posted by CoryL
Trac-bar is bent for engine clearance...

The most important thing to remember is that they don't have to follow the same lines.

Just make sure their planes are the same. It is all about the plane from the pitman arm to where it mounts on the tie-rod in relation to the plane of the trac-bar from the frame mount to the axle mount.

You could have all kinds of crazy, useless, weak bends, but as long as the planes are the same, the bumpsteer should be minimized.

Lengths should be close as well.

That makes perect sense. Gotta Love Calculous.

Jaws,
I am going to have to shorten my front driveshaft 2-3" with the axle in stock location. The D44 pumpkin is deeper than the D35...

Josh,
Here is a shot of the springs from the front. They will biow a little at rest because they are variable rate springs...

8center-med.jpg

Here is my complete photo album - messy garage and all!

J

anybody think it is a bad idea to make your own RA brackets? I was thinking, this way I could get them at the perfect height and angle them a tad so that at normal stance they look straight down the RA.

Originally posted by Jefe
Wow you've got a lot of stuff on that floor :eek:

Very nice steering linkage though :)

Of course I have a lot of stuff on the floor - the sign of a well-used garage! :D

J

Is a radius arm the same as a control arm? They found some radius arms from the EB that I can have.

Depends who you talk to - control arms are more likely similar to a tracbar or panhard bar (from my limited experience anyhow :) )

J

Control arms are like Radius arms in the sense that they keep the axle located front to back. Control arms have mor movent taht radius arms, and are usually 2 per side of the axle, upper and lower.
the panhard rod, is the same as a trac bar, different people will call them different names, keeps the axle located left to right. This must be close to the same length as the drag link, and their centers must be on parrallel planes.

taxman and ahhjaws.

I have a piar of radius arms that are all cleaned up, weld on axle wedges red daystar bushings for the RA and a pair of 7" drop radius arm brackets.

I was going to cut up the 7" drop brackets to what i needed about 4"

also have a set of 7 degree coil shims.

email me if you are interested in any of it.

Sorry, but I already bought the others. It sounds good though.

Ditto. Already have mine and I am making my brackets... THanks, though.

Ok, last question before I start.

Will I need any type of drop brackets for the control/radius arms, or any other part?

I am buying everything this week, and hope to start next week.

Thanks!!

all depends on what you do.

Chris - more than likely yes. You can get one from Duff, or fab one yourself. Be sure the track bar and the drag link are the same length and same angle and you'll be fine. The track bar will be the last piece to control where the axle is located, so measure it right :)

J

Is there a special part number for the Duff bracket (one size fits all) or something?

What site would I get it, how much?

Jamesduff.com - about $45 and it will require cutting to fit your needs. I need to cut some metal here and add some there. Honestly, I would have been better off making it myself - but hey, this is an adventure!

J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I am gonna make my own. Get them exactly the way I want them.

Back