SAS people. Please read. | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SAS people. Please read.

No one would have a picture of their front suspension so I can see where you put the F250 shock mount?

That would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by ahhjaws
Ok, last question, I swear!!:D But probably not. There is a chance I might not get any disks or calipers with my D44. Is it possible to use the Explorer ones? Same with the drum brakes. I still don't know too much info on the axles, as I have yet to see them. But there are acouple different sets, so I'll be able to pick the ones I want. I was hoping to get the rear disk one, but they might not have that year.

Actually it would be possible. The D35 outers (from the ball joints out) would bolt right on since the knuckles and spindles are the same.
HOWEVER, this would defeat the whole purpose of SAS. The weakest point of the D35 TTB is the wheel bearings. Very easy mod to put D44 outers on the D35 for bullit proof TTB. All you have to do is drill out the drums for 5on5.5 and get Moser axles. If you convert to rear discs, you can use the F150 rear discs.

Ask and ye shall receive my friend!

Here is a picture of the shock mounts for you. The rear shock uses the F250 mount. I mounted it so the shock would sit at 23.5" static.

8dualshockpass-med.jpg

J

Originally posted by FMExplorer
Ask and ye shall receive my friend!

Here is a picture of the shock mounts for you. The rear shock uses the F250 mount. I mounted it so the shock would sit at 23.5" static.

Looks great. I see the F-250 shock towers are those in the front the second shock kit form bronco graveyard?

The Duff mount is the one on the right - the front one.

The F250 is the one on the left - the rear one.

When ordering your shocks, get ones that give enough travel up and down - the back shock won't move as much as the front - I may actually have to get different ones if they limit travel too much.

J

Do you think I should just do the rear F250 mount, or do the dual shock setup like yours?

Anyone know where I can get adjustable coil buckets for the JD 3.5" coils?

No such thing as asjustable buckets, unless you made your own....

Perry makes an adjustable bucket, but it is for the explorer coils. You can make your own out of EB buckets pretty easily.

Jaws - I went with dual shocks because of the tire size - and the looks. If you run dual shocks, get shocks designed to run as duals and you'll be fine. The cost was about $100 more to run duals...

J

I'll have 35's on mine, so would I absolutely need duals?

I run a single shock with my 35's but I also have the RS9000s so I can adjust them. I have considered running duals with the James Duff shocks. They are pretty slick. I really only wanted duals because they look bad @ss.

Unless you are racing the Baja, not running adjustable shocks, or using a sway bar, then I'd go ahead with the dual shocks.

Yea, I was going to go with the RS9000X shocks w/ the interior controls (hehehe)

Originally posted by ahhjaws
Yea, I was going to go with the RS9000X shocks w/ the interior controls (hehehe)

Wish I had the interior controls: $120! On my list after paint.

I hear interior controls are junk for actuall performance. I hear they develope leaks and crap? Not sure, just what I have hear. Besides once you have them and get used to them it taks all of a minute to chage the settings all the way around and you won't be changing them very often at all

I am going dual shocks becuase I don't plan to run a sway bar and I think it will be the best way to go. May try just one set first, but I am prepared to run duals.

I have adjustable coils buckets on mine. I'm not real sure where Cory bought them, but you could email him and ask him. It's CoryL@crlcustoms.com

buck3.jpg

This will also allow a couple more inches of flex. But the coil spring will rub too, which will cause some squeaks, but what off road truck doesn't squeak a little:p

I'm running Rancho's 5000 series shocks, not sure how it will hold up on the road since they aren't installed yet. I do love the look of a dual shock mount.

:D

You knew I wouldn't be done asking questions.

Will I need drop down brackets for the radius arms too?

Just depends on your setup.

Originally posted by JoshC
...But the coil spring will rub too, which will cause some squeaks, but what off road truck doesn't squeak a little:p

Thanks for the info on the buckets. I'm ordering a set from Cory. I'm considering coating the inside of the buckets with Herculiner to reduce squeeks and clanging around.

The herc will just wear off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll be able to drive my truck tonight and i can let you know what to expect with the squeaks.

Back