• Register Today It's free!

sas pre-buildup/edit

tealtterror

Reaction score
City, State
Murfreesboro, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
ok guys, i wanted to start this thread to tell you exactly what im planning on doing to my explorer and also to get your oppinions and feedback. In about three weeks i will be undergoing the exciting sas on my 94 xlt. i will be posting updats on here and pics so stay tuned :eek: im going with axles out of a 79 chevy. full size dana front and gm 12 bolt in rear with 4:11. I already have a body lift so i am planning on soa in the rear and using the stock leafs from the chevy for the front for a 6" sus and 3" bl. running 35x12.50 xterrains on 15x10 rim. this is what gets me though. i have to lengthen the drive shafts, so i was planning on cutting the drive shafts and welding missmatching drive shafts together so i get the universal for the x at the transmission/tcase and universals from the chevy by the axle. then dual front shocks (procomp) and single in rear (procomp). for the break lines i was going to go to a hydrolic shop and get them to custom make them for the ford->chevy conversion. using stock steering box. and procomp steering stablizer. what do you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are going to need to have a drive shaft guy make the driveshafts. If you just weld them they will Never balance and you will have crazy vibrations. Not to mention universals getting replaced constantly

I thought the carrier was passenger side on chevys?

he told me it was on the drivers side. i am going home from college monday so ill be able to go and take a look myself but as far as i know the pumpkin is on the drivers. and thanks for telling me about the unbalancable driveshafts.

i cut my own shaft. i got no problems with it. you just gota keep it straight while you weld it. try a piece of chanel or angle to keep it straight. just clamp it into the corner good. if you have any isues with the balance you can always get it balanced. good luck with your sas

Just my opinion, but unless the 4.11s are already in the axles, I'd go with 4.56s or 4.88s(if you want to go to a bigger tire later on). If the gears are already in the axles and are in good condition, then I'd leave them and see how they do from there. Good luck and I can't wait to see some pics. :)

yeah, the gears are already in the axles. not quite sure what im going to do on the drive shafts yet. thanks so far...

Back