• Register Today It's free!

SAS question (95-01 explorer)

Snoopy26

Reaction score
City, State
Medway,MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 gmc
a buddy of mine has a 97 explorer 5.0 v8 4x4 and he wants to do a sas on it. he wants to use leaf springs not coils could he use leaf springs from a 91-94 explorer (rear leafs)? he is going to run 33's. also what axles should he use he wants to get rid of his stock axle and run somthin tuffer then dan 35/30 more like 44's but is this a good choice also its his daily drive so any information you guys can give would be great thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im gonna be runnin leafs in the front. trailmaster 7 pack leafs. coils are out of my budget. i have a hp d44 in my garage and ill be using that. tires, depending on lift will be either 35-37" again depending on how prices are then. its a good choice as an axle as they are tough. driveability isnt really much of an issue as is gearing is what you wanna keep an eye on. if he drives on the road a lot and rarely goes offroadin with 33's then 4.10's would be good as it'll keep the rpms almost the way they were stock. If he wheels a lot then 4.56's would be better choice. it all depends on tire size and how you are gonna use your truck.
my gearing after the swap will be 4.56's.
any questions just ask

oh welcome to the furom, and a word advice run a search for SAS, there is A LOT of guys doing this right now.

o crap i forgot about thes earch button my bad lol well when he wheels hes wheels it hard i like it i took it out and it was fun its stock with goodyear m/t a/ts it goes too im thinkin of getting one. what do you get for gas milage with it being all stock. o btw thanks for the greeting.

What is he going to do about a transfer case?

when im light on the pedal i get 21 mpg highway goin 74-76 mph. city i get 16. when im hard on it i get about 12.

lol forgot about the addressin the t-case my bad.

well Tcase wont realy be a probe he will probably rip oe out of a truck in a junk yard then cut a hole in the floor and get it to work ect.

its really not that simple..well almost lol. in his case it would be better to go with a BW4406 with a manual handle..good luck finding one...and install it as the output shaft from the tranny lines up with it and is a perfect fit. then he has to deal with the driveshaft front and rear. THEN the fuel tank will be in the way. he would have to replace it with a explorer sports tank instead of the one he has.

what are u gonna run BW4406? and how many gallons is a EX sport tank hold.

yeah, 4406 is what im gonna be runnin. section and a bunch of other ddes advised me to do that as its stronger. the sport holds 17.0 gallons.

we will probably just get a T case outa a old ford fab up mounts we were planning on new Dshafts anyways and we will jsut cut alot and we can get it to workw ith sometime i have mounted Tcases in 2wd trucks before so i have a little experence with it.

that works too. :)

well thanks for the help i appriciate it lol i cant spell

Back