SAS Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SAS Question

I found a 89 Grand Wagoneer front axle for $150. And in doing some research I have found you can use Dodge 75-79 knuckles for a D44 and retain a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. This would be nice as I would not have to buy new wheels. But I have never seen them mentioned here before?? Would this be a good idea? Or is there cons to using the Dodge knuckles?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No hubs and crappy wheel bearings. That is why no one uses them. I used the waggy axle if I were to do it again I would keep the front 6 lug and get new axle shafts for the rear that are drilled six lug. I spent more going to 5 on 5.5 then I could have had alloy axle shafts for the rear. Also around here 6 lug rims are easy to find used. 5 on 5.5 is hard.

thats basically the consensus I found when I looked this up as well. Milemarker had a lockout kit similar to the lockouts kits for a Dana 30 and it was mentioned in an article that the bearings only lasted about a tank of gas.

You just need to give in and buy yourself a set of steelie wheels and sell those pretty and shiny rims you don't want to get rid of. :D

Thanks for the responses guys. I would like to try and get this done before Moab. But I will likely do a leaf spring setup in lieu of the linked suspension to save some $$$.

Hey what do those Grand Waggys have in the rear. I'm seriously concidering doing the waggy swap to my wife's Montero. A) depending on the matching rear B) how cheep I can get a whole truck C) if the bolt patterns match.

Hey what do those Grand Waggys have in the rear. I'm seriously concidering doing the waggy swap to my wife's Montero. A) depending on the matching rear B) how cheep I can get a whole truck C) if the bolt patterns match.
Depending on the year they will either have a D44 or AMC20 rear.

Depending on the year they will either have a D44 or AMC20 rear.

Thanks I did some research and found just that. The sas Montaro is not popular however. (end HiJack)

Back