SAS Questions | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

SAS Questions

big_hoovie

Reaction score
City, State
Laconia, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
When doing a SAS, I assume that the Dana 44 would be what I would want to find, or are there other options?

I've seen an SAS thread here, where the author swaps a 9" for the 8.8" rear axle. What is the benefit of this?

Are there easier to find front ends other than a dana44 or would that be the most common?

What sort of difficulties would I be looking at, when doing a job like this?

thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
i think you need to read more.

hiridin

Reaction score
City, State
tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer 4x4
what size tires u want to run? manual or auto tranny? locked or unlocked front end? figure out what u want and what u'll do with it that will help u decide what axle u need... and read up on other people sas's theres plenty of them. find out what works and what doesn't work. theres a good thread discussing the pro and cons of the dana 30 and 44 which are yer 2 more affordable options.

big_hoovie

Reaction score
City, State
Laconia, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
Well, to start with, I have been reading a bit(doing a job like this wouldn't be in the immediate future. right now, I'm gathering as much information as possible)

I'm looking to run probably 33" - 35" tires - I couldn't see going any bigger than that.
Auto Transmission.
possibly LS front and rear(I've got open carriers in both, currently)

Ideally, I'd like to make a full-time off road vehicle, but realistically, it would be a mixed usage vehicle.

I guess I've got more to read, but the reason I am asking questions, is not just to get quick answers, but to help determine where I want to go with this, where I need to focus my info gathering, what things I can put into a "don't bother" list, and a "must do" list. I mean, if I determine through reading, and asking questions that I ought to just keep the Dana 35, and 8.8, and just do mods from there, that will save me time and money, but I am trying to get a foothold up, to get to the info so I can make that determiniation.

thx

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
if you want it to be full time off road, dont go ls, get auto-lockers or selectable lockers. Otherwise, a search on the SAS registry will yield all you want to know.

hiridin

Reaction score
City, State
tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer 4x4
i think if u just wanna go with 33's buy a good suspension lift for the ttb get the extended radius arms for better handling and flex, gear it with 4.56's and lock front and back. i say around 6" suspension although 4" would work. if u want to move to 35's i say look into swapping in a solid axle.