• Register Today It's free!

SAS Questions

big_hoovie

Reaction score
City, State
Laconia, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
When doing a SAS, I assume that the Dana 44 would be what I would want to find, or are there other options?

I've seen an SAS thread here, where the author swaps a 9" for the 8.8" rear axle. What is the benefit of this?

Are there easier to find front ends other than a dana44 or would that be the most common?

What sort of difficulties would I be looking at, when doing a job like this?

thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think you need to read more.

what size tires u want to run? manual or auto tranny? locked or unlocked front end? figure out what u want and what u'll do with it that will help u decide what axle u need... and read up on other people sas's theres plenty of them. find out what works and what doesn't work. theres a good thread discussing the pro and cons of the dana 30 and 44 which are yer 2 more affordable options.

Well, to start with, I have been reading a bit(doing a job like this wouldn't be in the immediate future. right now, I'm gathering as much information as possible)

I'm looking to run probably 33" - 35" tires - I couldn't see going any bigger than that.
Auto Transmission.
possibly LS front and rear(I've got open carriers in both, currently)

Ideally, I'd like to make a full-time off road vehicle, but realistically, it would be a mixed usage vehicle.

I guess I've got more to read, but the reason I am asking questions, is not just to get quick answers, but to help determine where I want to go with this, where I need to focus my info gathering, what things I can put into a "don't bother" list, and a "must do" list. I mean, if I determine through reading, and asking questions that I ought to just keep the Dana 35, and 8.8, and just do mods from there, that will save me time and money, but I am trying to get a foothold up, to get to the info so I can make that determiniation.

thx

if you want it to be full time off road, dont go ls, get auto-lockers or selectable lockers. Otherwise, a search on the SAS registry will yield all you want to know.

i think if u just wanna go with 33's buy a good suspension lift for the ttb get the extended radius arms for better handling and flex, gear it with 4.56's and lock front and back. i say around 6" suspension although 4" would work. if u want to move to 35's i say look into swapping in a solid axle.

Back