• Register Today It's free!

SAS questions

rguy

Reaction score
City, State
Republic of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Explorer 4x4
I've searched but can't find an answer. It may be that the answer is too obvoius. Sorry if it is, but when doing a SAS why are the coil buckets replaced? Is it the size of the springs?

Also, I've noticed that when the coil buckets are replaced they are also spaced out off the frame rails. Why is this? Can the spring mounts on the axle not be relocated?

As for a trac bar, is it possible to use this off another vehicle or does it have to be custom?

Thanks.

Rob

I've searched but can't find an answer. It may be that the answer is too obvoius. Sorry if it is, but when doing a SAS why are the coil buckets replaced? Is it the size of the springs?

Dannyboy: I replaced mine to scoot them forward a little further, redo the shock mounting and now my coils are secured top and bottom. I've seen them modified and put on the stock coil buckets but it isn't too much work to make it work.

Also, I've noticed that when the coil buckets are replaced they are also spaced out off the frame rails. Why is this? Can the spring mounts on the axle not be relocated?

Dannyboy: Depending on the axle, you can do anything. You may be seeing full width stuff that needs to have the buckets moved outwards. I for one did not move mine outwards, I narrowed a Dana44 and they all line up fairly well.

As for a trac bar, is it possible to use this off another vehicle or does it have to be custom?

Most track bars are solid, my answer to this was to find one that fit the dimensions that worked. I chopped the end off of the one that came with my front axle and chopped another one up from the rear of a Jeep TJ and they happened to alaign the way I wanted. I drilled, tapped and used a piece of threaded rod, but if I were to do it again I would thread the two ends and use a bulkier tube that would sleeve the setup. (see pic)

Thanks.

Rob

Good luck.

Attachments

• 0601060747.jpg
    0601060747.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 192

Back