SAS Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SAS Questions

I have been reading alot of these SAS registers, but I still have a few questions.
I am thinking of doing the SAS on my Sport Trac and it looks like the leaf spring setup will work just fine for my needs. Basically I only want to get rid of the IFS, so I wont have to worry about breaking CV's, etc.

So my questions:
1.What years should I look for the Wagoneer Dana44 leaf spring setup?
2. Steering box I have read about using Toyota IFS box, FJ60 boxes, Ford, etc, etc. What is the best steering setup?
3. What is the need for the new tranny crossmember? Since the rear leaf mounts are welded to the frame?
4. Can I keep my current rims 5x4.5? Or will this require a Dana 30?
5.Should I remove the body lift? I really dont need any more height, as it has 35's on it now.

Thanks,
Chad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. 80-91 Jeep Wagoneer or Grand Wagoneer D44
2. Most seem to have good luck with either the Toyota or FJ40 boxes
3. You may need a new tranny x-member because the stock one may not fit when you do the leaf spring mounts. Yes, the rear mounts will most likely require some welding to the frame.
4. No, you cannot keep the 5x4.5 lug pattern unless you use a D30(yuck). Just convert the Waggy D44 to 5x5.5 lug pattern and get some adapters to change the rear axle.
5. Removing the body lift would be a good idea and I would strongly recommend it to help lower your COG.

If the waggy axle you find has good rotors and wheel bearings that you want to reuse I would get new rear axle shafts with a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern. People have also used the TTB ranger and explorer steering boxes as well. I would do coils instead of leafs.

If the waggy axle you find has good rotors and wheel bearings that you want to reuse I would get new rear axle shafts with a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern. People have also used the TTB ranger and explorer steering boxes as well. I would do coils instead of leafs.

I would like to do coils but that looks alot more intimidating to do. And like I said I have read alot of the swap registries, but many do not really offer alot of info. Mainly alot of useless chatter.

If I could find a thread that actually had some dimensions, drawings, part numbers, or what they came from, I would consider a 3 or 4 link front end.

Most of the "registries" are just like a summarization of the parts used .. the nitty gritty that I suggest you read are in the actual swap threads. Typically, most solid axle swaps have two threads - the process thread, and the "registry" thread.

For example, Section525's:
Swap thread
Registry thread

Back