• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Sas soa

Welshdragon79

Reaction score
City, State
Fresno, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Expo Sport
Yeah, he is one of our board members for our club out here. He's actually talking about building something with more room, I think he's to far Jeep to bring to to our side. Although he is running an 8.8 on the Wrangler.

corkey

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
so there is hope for him after all, he got the axle so far,, ,
i say put whatever you want in it , you have to fix it when it breaks,, and starting with a readily available , and probably cheap start it will get you going down the right road , you will perfect it as you go, , including stronger parts as required,, ,

glfredrick

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
86-98 Ranger STX
I run a lot with Jeeps, and most of them have Dana 30 front axles. I've become very accustomed to hearing that <clank> noise they make when they let go... I hear it at least twice on every wheeling trip. Most of them are only on 31s or 33s.

Definitely go with the 44 axle. Our TTB Dana 35 has the same axle size as a 44 axle -- why go backward just to get SAS?

And, if you are running big tires, even the 44 will need cro-mo axles and high-end joints.

zjrog

Reaction score
City, State
Tooele,Ut
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 Ranger
I'm a Jeep guy. Have a 95 Grand Cherokee which is about the heaviest thing that got the D30. Friends of mine have wheeled them with XJs and Wranglers, but they will start breaking things with 35s. I AM putting a D30 under my Ranger with a 4 banger since it is lighter than my Explorer. But I wouldn't want to put one under the Ex which is several hundred pounds heavier than my ZJ.

I know someone local that has a D30 under an Explorer, but if he wheeled it like I wheel my ZJ, he'll break it.