• Register Today It's free!

Sas soa

1991fordexploder

Reaction score
City, State
Sanford, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT stock
Has anyone ever swapped a jeep Cherokee Dana 35 into an explorer?

And if you have did the spring perches and the radius arms line up with the explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A Jeep Dana 35 is a rear axle.

i agree at least go dana 44 from an early bronco for a strart, that to me is the mostt common

ok, sorry i meant the dana 30 front axle.

Yes, it can be done. An SAS is an SAS pretty much. You're gonna have to cut, measure, weld, etc. The only question is.... Why the Dana 30? It would be a LARGE waste of your time to dump that POS into your truck. Find a 44 and go from there. Just cause you have something, doesn't mean you should use it... if you don't have one, then don't get one. Find a 44 or learn to love the TTB!

Yes, it can be done. An SAS is an SAS pretty much. You're gonna have to cut, measure, weld, etc. The only question is.... Why the Dana 30? It would be a LARGE waste of your time to dump that POS into your truck. Find a 44 and go from there. Just cause you have something, doesn't mean you should use it... if you don't have one, then don't get one. Find a 44 or learn to love the TTB!
I personally know people beating the fawk out of a D30 on 37s and not breaking anything. It's a really stout axle.
However, for the amount of work it takes to do a SAS, it would be a huge waste of time to not go with a D44 since it's actually a lot easier to swap in an early Bronco D44 than a Jeep D30... and the D44 is significantly stronger. Not that the D30 is a POS, but it's 100x more logical to go with the D44. Search for "Early Bronco Explorer axle swap" or something along those lines and you'll find enough information to make your head explode.

That said, with a 5.5" lift kit you can probably get away with 35s on the TTB D35 for a long time. Leave the front open, lock the rear, and give it Hell.

I personally know people beating the fawk out of a D30 on 37s and not breaking anything.
Thats because they're climbing front axle first. Ask them to try it in reverse next time and measure how many feet they go before an axle shafts snap or a U-joint shoots out. ;)

Why would one climb in reverse? That's dumb.

(I get the purpose of going in reverse for general evacuation from an obstacle and the occasional, "Hey, watch this!" I'm merely being facetious.)

Why would one climb in reverse? That's dumb.
Well maybe there are no large rock piles down there or people just go "muddin". But anyways, since you sound like you're pretty new to rocks: sometimes you have to go reverse a few feet to reposition and change your line - to clear the differential and so on. Thats why we have these people outside the truck called "spotters", they'll tell the driver which way to go to minimize the risk of damaging critical parts.

The moderator Doug spotting for 95exploderboy.
main.php

Well maybe there are no large rock piles down there or people just go "muddin". But anyways, since you sound like you're pretty new to rocks: sometimes you have to go reverse a few feet to reposition and change your line - to clear the differential and so on. Thats why we have these people outside the truck called "spotters", they'll tell the driver which way to go to minimize the risk of damaging critical parts.
Very educational response. I've never been in the rocks, but I definitely understand the concept of needing to reroute to clear diffs. I leave the "mudding" to the two-wheel-drives. I prefer real trails with obstacles that do occasionally require reverse, but the slop on most trails allows enough slip to not cause binding failure I suppose. Now that I have a rig worth hauling to the rocks I'll hopefully get some first hand experience under my belt this year.

i am very new to rocks, ive only been on one trail and that was here in colorado up at Left Hand. my X did fine in 2wd, but if my f**kin auto hubs worked or i could afford to convert them it would have been alot funner.

My Maintenance guy here where i live has a 91 X On a Dana 44 and Ford 9" on 37" tires. He named it JEEP RECOVERY locked front and rear. nice rig. i have something to look "UP" to. thats my ultimate goal.only difference is mine is a manual, his is auto trans.

I personally know people beating the fawk out of a D30 on 37s and not breaking anything. It's a really stout axle.
Just curious what kind of vehicle these d30s with 37s are on. And any pics of it getting beat the fawk out of? :D

Regarding the rocks and right lines:
If you don't pick the right lines in the rocks, you could have a cavalcade of problems, from broken parts to rolling over...

Sounds like its stronger than my D44. Im breaking axles with 36's.......Im going to 37's this time and expect to keep breaking them....

Sounds like its stronger than my D44. Im breaking axles with 36's.......Im going to 37's this time and expect to keep breaking them....

This has nothing to do with the rest of the post but are you running stock shafts or chromolly?

Sounds like its stronger than my D44. Im breaking axles with 36's.
I was on the same boat - 36"s and D44 with a snap here, a snap there, a snap everywhere.

Axle shaft:
axleshaft_01.jpg

Crapped out U-joint which damaged the lobes on the yoke in the process:
axleshaft_02.jpg

Another set:
axleshaft_03.jpg

I know this is an old thread, but here is a Wrangler with a D30 and 37" tires. Granted he has a Super 30 kit ( shafts, ARB, blah, blah, blah) but the Cherokees have the same luck with them and the spring perches match up to Expos.
It would be interesting to see what flexes more, a Cherokee long arm kit w/ D30 on an Expo or a wristed D44 EB set up.

Attachments

• Red627-4414-1.jpg
    Red627-4414-1.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 923

I know this is an old thread, but here is a Wrangler with a D30 and 37" tires. Granted he has a Super 30 kit ( shafts, ARB, blah, blah, blah) but the Cherokees have the same luck with them and the spring perches match up to Expos.
It would be interesting to see what flexes more, a Cherokee long arm kit w/ D30 on an Expo or a wristed D44 EB set up.

Never seen one of those racks mounted so high lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back