Sas soa | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sas soa

Yeah, he is one of our board members for our club out here. He's actually talking about building something with more room, I think he's to far Jeep to bring to to our side. Although he is running an 8.8 on the Wrangler.

so there is hope for him after all, he got the axle so far,, ,
i say put whatever you want in it , you have to fix it when it breaks,, and starting with a readily available , and probably cheap start it will get you going down the right road , you will perfect it as you go, , including stronger parts as required,, ,

I run a lot with Jeeps, and most of them have Dana 30 front axles. I've become very accustomed to hearing that <clank> noise they make when they let go... I hear it at least twice on every wheeling trip. Most of them are only on 31s or 33s.

Definitely go with the 44 axle. Our TTB Dana 35 has the same axle size as a 44 axle -- why go backward just to get SAS?

And, if you are running big tires, even the 44 will need cro-mo axles and high-end joints.

I'm a Jeep guy. Have a 95 Grand Cherokee which is about the heaviest thing that got the D30. Friends of mine have wheeled them with XJs and Wranglers, but they will start breaking things with 35s. I AM putting a D30 under my Ranger with a 4 banger since it is lighter than my Explorer. But I wouldn't want to put one under the Ex which is several hundred pounds heavier than my ZJ.

I know someone local that has a D30 under an Explorer, but if he wheeled it like I wheel my ZJ, he'll break it.

Back