RyanBelts

Reaction score
City, State
Puyallup, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Sport trac 4x4
My 2003 ford sport trac sas swap with 18" of lift on a dana 44
2vnp4wl.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I should for sure. 2003 ford sport trac. Dana 44 "79 bronco axle high pinion reverse cut gears with disc brakes" toyota hd 5" lift springs, 6" custom shackles, 3" body lift, toyota ifs steering box, f150 brake lines, trail gear leaf mounts and axle perches, and a soa conversion in the rear with 3" blocks, 2" add a leaf, 2 " warrior 143 shackles, and body lift. 4.0L with k&n full intake, airaid throttle body spacer, electric fan conversion, superchip tuner, and a straight pipe 3" exhaust custom. Sits on 35's but soon 38-13.50-17's. Hid healights, 6 procomp 6" foglights all hid converted, cb, pa system, roof rack, black diamond plate tool box, trail gear 78" rock sliders, trial gear stinger front bumper with bedlining, pioneer deck with 900watt amp and 10" kicker under the rear seat, 5% tint all around, 14" travel bilstiens in all four corners, rear window rain visor, and a 08 center console conversion. 17" procomp wheels, 1.5" wheel spacers. My Baby

So far on here there has only been six other members that have done or atleast started a SAS on their Sport Trac. I'm collecting all the parts to build mine hopefully this fall. Chad's is the most known ST with an SAS. STrunner, TxPlates, mjenko, trailrig, twotone sam and Chad all have done or started a SAS. I would include myself on that list but I'm still driving mine daily until I get all the parts to tear it apart.

Lookin good! Hopefully this can be a picture thread and an info thread similar to the 35" Tracs Offtrac started not too long ago to help/inspire others to do an SAS.

Here's mine. It will be done by the end of this week but do to work and other things I have to wait until mid-April to go back to VA :(

C31-7B19C744F4C2-4048-0000043F1F3DC757_zps888a56fd.jpg

C46-631D378A14B1-4048-0000043F2E6966F5_zps921017aa.jpg

I am just wanting some one who has experience with this to list the most desirable axles and part to use for the swap a actual parts list would be awesome.

Check out the SAS index, it depends on if you want full width or narrow, 5, 6 or 8 lug hubs, leafs, links or coils, etc...

Holly cow that's allot of work kudos to those who have taken the plunge.

Yea, I may have to push my build be alittle by a couple months so I can get all the parts I want. I plan on doing this build once if I can help it. The way I see it "spend the money the first time around on quality parts and build it the way you want to so you're not wasting money and have a breakdown in the worst time". Just my way of thinking, that's why alot of my mods and build plans have waited so long.

That's why mine has been pushed back further. I know it's not the cool thing to do either (on a forum anyway), but I will likely drop it off and write a check. I will be able to service it myself but I want it built by someone who has done multiple swaps and knows the best parts and best setups and knows the math as an engineer would. I also want as low as possible. Even on tons, probably going to stick with 35s. Wish some of these forum experts lived closer. Not going to name names and no offense to anyone, but there's only a handful of guys on here (probably less) I would let work on mine. There's only two shops in Georgia I have found that I would consider. I obviously don't fit any of my own criteria so it's going to cost me. Maybe later in life when I'm more settled career wise I can learn this stuff as a hobby but for now I've decided to make the driving part a passive hobby and the building part an expense.

The main expenses for my build are going to be the lockers, wheels, tires and axle shafts, everything else isn't that much but they do add up quickly when total cost of parts are added. Since I'm the only income in my household (wife is raising our son, no trustworthy daycares around here even if we wanted to go that route, which e don't) funds are limited. Most of my build funds are coming from buying/selling things and side mechanic work. Two major expenses on mine are the 35 or 37" tires (not decided yet) and the ARB air locker complete setup for the front. I will be doing 99.9999% of the work myself and have my buddy as an extra set of hands when needed, and the front driveshaft from driveline shop. I'm seriously considering swapping over to a manual transfercase as well. Time to start playing the lottery. LOL.

I would be optimistic to say a SAS was even in the plans for next year. Building a house and starting a family in the later part off this year, the funds just won't likely be there. I bought the ST with that goal from the start but don't have a timeline. I buy vehicles for keeps and the ST will be my dedicated hunting/offroad toy like my Cougar is my muscle car. Neither is finished. Luckily I'm pretty patient.

I really wish I could do the swap on my own but paying someone is less embarrassing to me than what has happened to so many SAS projects on this forum where people disappear after it's rolling but undrivable.

I know you can Jerry. All of your projects come out well planned and executed.

In my case, my wife still welds better than me, lol. I'm doing the research and planning but going to let a pro fill in the knowledge gaps and labor. If they'll allow, of course I'd like to physically help and learn though. There's just only so much you can "know" because some guy said it on the internet once. I am very good at replacing parts (I have restored a car, for the record) but I'm not ashamed to say I have no experience in fabrication.

Looking forward to the day I can post a photo in this thread instead of derailing it, lol.

Consider it put back on the tracks :D

It's extremely drivable and very steady. Now to start tweaking lol

I got the truck back down to SC this past weekend. It drives great and can do a steady 75 mph but is much more comfortable at 65mph. I still have to climb under and check out the transmission crossmember and get dimensions for a front driveshaft so I'm currently one of "those" guys:rolleyes:. That's probably going to be the last thing for a while as work and crew is getting crazy, taking all of my time. If you have questions about any of the setup ask away. Enough talk, here's some pics.

015-2126C69BB16D-4373-000005EFB83C9382_zps7b26d5dc.jpg

C11-3E3F70DBA5F6-4373-000005EFD3AF8D68_zps82df9ae0.jpg

39D-4785A0FBE9C8-4373-000005EFE12FA09D_zps81bf175f.jpg

I'd say the trackbar and sway bar work well at what they are supposed to do (and keep it from flexing). The truck is solid at speed, in crosswinds and around semis. Quick disconnects and a track bar removal will be in store soon.

C1B-984EA007DADB-4373-000005EFDA7403AF_zps69206317.jpg

Why does everyone seem to do leafs instead of a coil or coil over setup? I met a guy the other day that did a sweet SAS Coilover 4 link setup on his 1500 that looked awesome!

Comes down to price, ease of install, road manors, fabrication skill, experience and ease of maintenance. I'm in the process of doing my SAS and full drivetrain swap. I'm doing leafs now because of proven durability on the trails around here as well as road manors with all the twisty steep hills around Pittsburgh leafs were just a better choice for right now. Years down the road I would like to do a link setup front and rear with 1 tons like I originally planned but Pa. road laws are too strict for that, once I get a trailer and a tow rig I'll probably change it but I want to still be able to drive it on the streets.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Basically sums it up. Leaves are way cheaper and they're easier to set up in terms of suspension geometry. Eventually I want to get either a radius arm setup or linked up front. Sadly with the grand wagoneer axle I still rub my front tire at full lock on the leaf spring because it can't be moved inboard anymore due to the differential.

Back