• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Sas vs long travel

Blackbeard187

Reaction score
City, State
Pharr
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac xlt
Hey guys first off thanks for information over the years. I have a 2001 sport trac job2 its been my beach truck since forever. It travels over sand fine except in summer when the sand is really soft. So lately i have been thinking of doing a soild axle swap or installing a long travel kit chomoly axle with locker. My question what will benifit me more in soft sand ? i dont plan to do any hardcore trails or rock crawling at all. Its just packed sand to really soft sand. A 20 mile stretch that is flat to hilly. Thanks for your time guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

410Fortune

SLUSH Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
Solid axle requires the removal of your rack and pinion steering and adding a steering gear box.

Long travel bolts in

Chromoly axle with a locker? You mean for the rear end?

Long travel will improve your ride in all conditions
The locker in the rear will help you keep moving forward in the sand

Putting a locker in the front just for 20 miles of sand will have you wishing you did not have a front locker the rest of the time (on the street)

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Neither choice is really much benefit just for driving on beach sand. Just focus on traction and flotation. So, wider and taller tires, tires aired down to proper level, and maybe a locker or limited slip.

What’s your current tire size?

Blackbeard187

Reaction score
City, State
Pharr
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac xlt
Right now my truck has 32x10.5 on 15x8 rims. I leaning towards sas because im not sure if differential on the sport trac is strong enough or if it is can it hold up in sand with 33s 12.5 which I plan to get later when these wear out. I also air down to 12 to 15 psi depending on sand. I kinda dont want to dig myself out anymore. I believe adding a locker up front will solve this little annoyance. But again not sure about the differential. Thanks for reply.

410Fortune

SLUSH Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
the front diff is plenty strong for 33's, even 35's and some dudes run 37's

Fire

Reaction score
City, State
N/A
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac 4x4
Right now my truck has 32x10.5 on 15x8 rims. I leaning towards sas because im not sure if differential on the sport trac is strong enough or if it is can it hold up in sand with 33s 12.5 which I plan to get later when these wear out. I also air down to 12 to 15 psi depending on sand. I kinda dont want to dig myself out anymore. I believe adding a locker up front will solve this little annoyance. But again not sure about the differential. Thanks for reply.

I would think that changing from 10.5 to 12.5 wide would be the biggest benefit in sand.

As far as the IFS Dana 35 front end, I ran 33x12.5x15 for 5 years and no diff or axle problems. Just one owner's experience. I just switched to 35x12.5x17 a couple months ago, and no diff or axle probs.

I have LS in the back and open in the front, so I can't speak to the value of a front locker.

Blackbeard187

Reaction score
City, State
Pharr
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac xlt
I would think that changing from 10.5 to 12.5 wide would be the biggest benefit in sand.

As far as the IFS Dana 35 front end, I ran 33x12.5x15 for 5 years and no diff or axle problems. Just one owner's experience. I just switched to 35x12.5x17 a couple months ago, and no diff or axle probs.

I have LS in the back and open in the front, so I can't speak to the value of a front locker.
Thanks so much for your reply I think I will 33x12.5x15 and let you all know what happens thanks again