SAS vs TTB need help

CheapThrillEX

Reaction score
City, State
Middleville, MI (Gun Lake)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer Sport
so a buddy tells me he has a 3/4 ton D44 from a ford pick-up

haven't got alot of details on it yet, but how strong are these in comparision to the D35 i have in my EX??

its leaf sprung SA

well i am tired of breaking axle shafts and hubs, i really don't have any probs with my wheel bearings, but having the same ujoints as my 35 would it be any less prone to breaking shafts???

i like the TTB, but i keep breaking it, i haven't convinced myself i want a full width axles either, what your opinions on full width???

would this 44 be able to handle a V8 later or would i need to upgrade to a 60 if/when i do a swap??

i am not familar with the frt SAS on these trucks, i am WAY TO familar with the TTB on these trucks though

4.0L 5-Speed
Dynomax Exhaust System
Borg Warner 1350/1354 Doubler
8000LB. Champion Winch
Dana 35 Frt with Aussie Locker
31 Spline 8.8 Rear Lincoln Locked
3.73 Gears unfortunately (5.13 soon)
Warn Manual Hubs
Approx 8 inches of Susp. Lift
3"Body Lift
Custom Rear Shackles, Snorkel,
Light Bar, and Frt Bumper
f250 frt shock mounts
Custom Extended Length Radius Arms
36x13.50 Irok's on 15x10 D-Window
or
36x14.50 TrXus STS on 15x10 D-Window
Front Axle Joints welded
Manual Size Radiator replaced with Auto
On Board Air (using Factory A/C Compressor)
Carpet removed and floor Herculined
rear drum brakes replaced with disc

heres a basic break down of how its set-up right now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im kinda biased on the fullwidths (I love mine), but it is stronger in every way than the d35. And you have the best kind of 44, hi pinion heavy duty housing, no cast on radius arm mounts and larger brakes. A d44 can definatly handle a v8, thats what was in the truck it came from. And it will be all to easy/cheap to pickup a matching dana 60/14b/10.25 sterling rear to match the d44 (Im assuming its 8 lug?)

how hard is it to make my Goblin sas?

i've decided to use the axle to replace my D28 in my B2 (my b2 is used for mud bogs only)

Well we need to see pic of the b2 then....lol

at least something is getting solid. lol

the ex sees to many tight trails were a full width just would not fit

to elaborate on my other post i have my trail EX, my 86 B2 that i use for mud only, but i have a 86 B2 frame and an 87 B2 body, the frame and body will be getting the full width axles etc......just gotta figure out what i wanna run on the engne trans tcase side of things (i do have a 400M and a C6 in my garage)

Back