SASed....But Drivelineless | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SASed....But Drivelineless

Hey guys, I just pretty much finished the major fabrication of my SAS on my 92 Sploder, still need tires cuz I dont think 32s will look too good. It is a Dana 30 (dont laugh), and Im not sure how much lift it is but I need a new front driveline. It barely bolts up to the axle fully extended. My question is what did you guys do for your drivelines?...did you get it custom made or what? I have some more pics but here is a couple if my truck , if it helps...thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks guys

A few observations...drag link and panhard angles look way off, I'd flip the tie rod on top of the knuckle to make that drag link flatter. Are you running a dropped pitman arm? Its hard to tell in the pics, that would also help.

Coils...TTB coils on an SAS are pretty damn stiff, I speak from experience on this. The EB coils seem to be the hot ticket if you want it to perform well off road. I'd get some limit straps or capture those coils somehow up top so you don't over extend your shocks and rip the brake lines off. You may get more droop the way it is now but it's really useless off road.

Other than that, it looks like a clean install, i know you can only fix and upgrade things when you get money but i'd start with these things first. It'll work better off road as well as on.

These things were kinda already on my "to do list". I dont know whether to fab up a new steering setup to solve the panhard draglink angle with this axle or get a D44 and get Dynatrac brackets when I get back, and then fab up a new steer setup. Dont know, but I didnt think the coils were that bad actually. I thought they would be worse. Thanks though

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe lose those rear shackles too, looks like you jacked some kids erector set.

:D

I didn't know Dynatrac sold brackets seperately, I bet it's gonna be some coin though. Don't get me wrong, they make nice stuff but there's plenty of companies making nice brackets these days like:

www.ruffstuffspecialties.com
www.ballisticfabrication.com
www.polyperformance.com
www.bluetorchfab.com

If you are going the hang on to that axle for awhile and it were me,
I'd flip the tie rod on tp of the knuckle...you're gonna have to get a reamer to open up the holes on top to accept the taper of the balljoints. I don't know what the degree of taper of the balljoint is on a D30, maybe search on some of the jeep boards to get that info.
That would get you closer to the angle of your panhard bar but to get it perfect, you'll need to buy or make a lower bracket on the axle end. Those 2 mods wouldn't be expensive at all to do and will get you by until you decide to change out to a D44

Yea I was just going to get some tubing and heims for the steering but the D30 sway bar mounts are in the way. I might just go ahead and flip the one I have now. I still have half inch flat stock I have to cut out for the shackles, rear shock mounts and other small stuff to do. I just wanted to drive it because its been sitting in the back so long and the last time I drove it, it had TTB.

I like the bumper. I bet it feels good to finally take it out.

I like the bumper. I bet it feels good to finally take it out.

It does actually, the aproach angle is awsome.....but I kinda like the one I made for it, just need to put it back on...:p:

l_e3dc96cf2c33de35276e6afd262573c2.png

nice set up!!

Back