aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I got this in the mail today....

++++++++++++++++++++++++

XM Subscriber,

XM needs your help now. Satellite radio is under attack. The National Association of Broadcasters (NAB), the group that represents the large radio and television owners, is using its lobbyists, campaign contributions and political influence to stifle competition and stop XM from offering traffic and weather information and other valuable services to listeners like you. NAB is trying to limit XM’s first amendment rights!

XM needs you to contact the FCC and your Members of Congress to tell them that you support satellite radio. Visit http://grassroots.xmradio.com to learn more about the threat, and how you can respond by easily contacting the FCC and your lawmakers in Washington, DC.

Exercise your freedom of expression. Let your voice be heard, loud and clear, just like XM!

- XM Satellite Radio

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got that same email in my hotmail account from XM radio. I wonder if there is more to this than meets the eye or if it is just another political scandal. Also wonder if Sirrus users got that. But when I am on XM, I don't listen to news, weather, or traffic, just music and comedy.

What is your take on this?

I really like the traffic/weather station. I don't use it much, but when I do it's much better than local info. In fact it updates quicker than the electronic highway signs!

its the truth. the huge radio corporations represented by NAB don't want sat radio to take away local ad revenue.
its all about money and not about music or providing service to the listener.

When I was driving around Philly not too long ago, there was a radio ad that must have lasted 5 minutes about why Satellite radio is a bad thing. It was 'signed' by the NAB. I guess this is what your letter is talking about, Al.

Here in centrall Illinois the local radio stations are doing the same thing. They are running about a 60 second ad with a bunch of people saying how satellite radio is bad, and that most people drop it right after they get it because they don't like it.

I just posted a poll in proper forum on What Radio Frequency do you Listen To? To be 100% honest with everyone, I didn't even know that XM had stations that give weather and traffic. Maybe I should get off of the 60's, 70's and 80's generation channels more. I think I had like 10 pre-sets and that was what I used mainly. Hardly ever scanned cause I always found a great song playing somewhere on XM and just stopped there and jammed.

And they think they're going to gain more listeners by running a super long ad? *click*

Heck yeah! and lets get rid of Wal Mart too! I mean who wants to be able to buy stuff for super cheap prices? Its not Wal Marts fault that they are good at what they do, Radio is history, satelite is the future, get with the program or die trying to fight it.

Thats like trying to keep a shop open that still rebuilds tape decks and sells used tapes...not gonna stay open long!!

I've already emailed the FCC urging them to strike down the petition. I encourage everyone to do the same even if you don't have satellite radio. This is just another example of old money and technology trying to lobby new ideas and technology out of business...remember Napster...

Back