Savage Yard R&D (Before you buy an aftermarket Mass air,,) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Savage Yard R&D (Before you buy an aftermarket Mass air,,)

Isaac

Reaction score
City, State
Williamsport PA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4X4
Hi Again.
more Research for the weekend at the Yard.
This Tread is on parts from a 97' Mercury Sable.
I pulled a complete Mass Air meter from a 97 Sable, with a 3.0 liter 24valve v6.
It is a plastic unit, very simalure to those found on the after market, it is extremly larger inside then the stock 91-94 Explorer's, mass air's.
and yet it bolts up with absolutly NO MOD's to air ducting, or air box! (will also work with after market air intakes if the stock mass air is still in use)
The gasket between the air box and mass air's are also identical.
The stock Mass Air sensor will also bolt directly into the unit!..
there is one hang up in the instailatoin of this however.
Where the tube to the TB, attaches to the mass air unit, is a VERY tight fit, due to the outside diamiter of the sables mass air unit being slightly larger then the Explorers, there is a small outter lip on the unit that i cut away to make the whole thing go easyer. it did go on, just needed a little more efford then stock.
This is also the same units used on the Ford Taurus's with the 24v 3.0liter v6.
This has only been proven usefull with the 97' Taurus's and Sables, with the 24v3.0 liter v6, For the 91-94 Ford Explorer's 4.0 liters.
The results as tested on a 92' Explorer 4.0 were noticably qwicker engine rev up, and a bit more high rpm power.
I as of yet have no exsact milimeter sizes on this unit, but it is as big if not Bigger then units offered on the aftermarket (it is roughly twice the inside size as the stock one found on 91-94 Explorer's)
If Enough People are interested i may consitered stocking these units and doing the small mod to make them fit easyer and selling them, this all depends on how many people would be interested in them.
Hope this is Usefull!
Isaac
Salvage R&D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What would they cost?:D

not much,,

if i did put them into stock and begin producing them for the explorer's,, they would be far cheaper then any aftermarket one, and far cheaper then you could buy one new.
all depends on how big of an interest there would be, and also avalibilty, as of now, they would go for between $75-$100 dollar's.
this all depends on response.

Isaac

very kewl man! I have a newer explorer though so i guess you would have to test it on a newer one as well but i'm sure it'll probably fit. I would def buy one, it's a hell of a lot cheaper then aftermarket 300+ dollars.

i may be interested...or would this be something that i could go to the junkyard and do myself??

yes,,

this is something you could do yourself,,
depending on the avalibility of your local yards.
if avalibility however is a problem for ya, let me know,, im now taking a count on how many people would be interested in these moddified for use with the explorer's
im looking for a number of around 20 people or so, before i begin stocking these and modding them.

although the car may run with the other mass in it. the voltage is wrong and tha will mess things up in the long run. each car has a mass air calibrated for each engine and injectors they are all difrent the do not cross over as easly as you think. if it does run in your car that is because of how adaptive you computer is and it is compansating for the wrong readings.

I was going to say...while you can use a sable/taurus larger tube, the actual MAF sensor is calibrated differently for the 3.0 vs. the 4.0 OHV. Just using the larger tube might give benefits in a 91-94 Explorer since their MAF tube is rather restrictive stock.

I think he is saying he's using the housing and not the sensor from the Sable. So the voltages would be OK because the stock Explorer MAF sensor is being used.

Please re-read the post,,,,,

As stated,,, " The "Explorer" mass are "sensor" also bolts directly in"
this mod is using the mass air unit or,, "the houseing"

sonkakaro.....the 95+ have a large mass air meter.....it will prolly be the same size or even the same unit that you have already

so you are using the housing from the sable and the sensor from the x? wouldnt that intern cause the engine to run lean? Basicaly you would be reading the same amount of air but giving it more. Might be good to check it with an a/f gauge.

yea i think your right but its the computer that has to be calibrated i think.....but it wont run that lean

are the aftermarket MAS meters like the granitelli have a different sensor that gives different signals to the computer?

Yes the aftermarket MAF sensors have a different actual sensor. The Granitelli I have came with the sensor and the tube/housing. Since I have a 1st gen, the Granitelli tube was a LOT bigger, and it had no grille in it. In the case of the Granitelli, the sensor itself is new and it's been calibrated differently, supposedly gives a little more hp. Granitelli can also custom make a MAF sensor for you if you have done more significant engine mods, like ported and polished intake, bored combustion chamber, and/or hopped up cam.

Like I said in another post, I did notice a little more power with the aftermarket MAF at the upper end of the RPMs, like above 3000 rpm but it could all be in my head.

Further Research, Testing, and anwsers to ?'s

Hi again.
In further testing and researching, this unit is found to be "Exstreamly" comparable to the unit's avalible on the market.
To anwser the first ?,, Yes! this mod is using the stock sensor, However,, this unit is not only "Far Larger and with no screen" (Like the Granitelli) but the port for the sensor itself is also larger and flows "more" air, this in turn, shows the computer that "more air" is going to the engine.
We have found no lean running what so ever, and no higher then normal idle, the Stock Computer has been capable of making changes nessesary.
After Market Unit's , (Like Granitelli) , give you also the "sensor",, however, this "sensor" is "calibrated" for the unit and the vehical, on the earlyer Explorers 91-94,
(no testing yet made on 95' and up models) they are calibrated to work with 19 pound injectors, as are the stock ford unit's.
after market units have the ablitly to be "re-calibrated) for those who decied to do more mod's to there fuel system, like add 24 pound injectors).

After further testing on the 92' Explorer and drivablitly testing, this unit has proven to give slightly more pull at high rpm's and qwicker rev-up times.
It should also be noted that the 4.0 liter in this Explorer, is that of a stock 94 Long block, with a K&N Custom Open air unit, Borla Headers, and a high flowing exsaust.

Please feel free to ask , with any further ?'s or you can email me at:
nighthawk82980@yahoo.com
im looking for a head count of 20 people or more, that would be interested in these unit's before we begin stocking them.
I am not hiding any research made, anyone wishing to try this mod on there own, and has the avalible parts at hand, i will offer research already made, and help in any way i can.
im looking only for people who do not have access, and/or do not wish to do this on there own.

Hope this all help's.

Isaac Reichard
Salvadge Yard R&D

Back