save a dog go to jail. | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

save a dog go to jail.

moose1

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
coupville, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt
Be sure to watch and listen to the videos and see for yourself how her decision was justified! This is the info sent to me via her organization.This is Her statment.

Dogs Deserve Better Founder may be jailed for saving a dying dog!

Here is the background info:

We got a call from Kim in East Freedom this morning, crying because Doogie hadn't gotten up since Saturday. She had been calling the Central Pennsylvania Humane Society since Saturday to no avail. We told her we aren't law officers, and she needed to call the humane officer.

Then we got another call about the same dog, from another person who passes him every day. At that point we called Kim back to see if she'd heard from the Humane Officer. She had not, so we promised her we'd go out and see what we could do. When we got there, we took photos and video of Doogie. We initially thought he was dead, as he was not moving and his back was to us. We found out that the people were not home to talk to about him, so I made the decision that he could not lay there on the cold wet ground for one moment longer, and I would accept all
consequences of my decision.

The neighbor Kim has agreed to testify on my behalf if necessary. She cried the whole time we were there, you can hear her on the video.

I think once you see the video and pictures, you'll understand why I made this decision.

The vet documented his general negligent condition, low weight, sores, missing fur, and took xrays of his back and hips. He determined that he has very bad back spurs that are causing him a lot of pain and are most likely responsible for his inability to walk. He also saw an
undetermined mass near his hip on the xray. He gave him a shot for pain plus some B vitamins for energy, so that perhaps he could have even one good day or a few good hours. He wrote a letter stating his condition in case we needed it.

Shortly after we got Doogie to my home, situated, bathed (had to, the stench was too bad), and fed and watered an Officer Flag called from the Freedom Township Police Department (I know, Freedom, isn't that ironic?). He wanted me to return Doogie, which I refused to do.

I could never look myself in the eye again, much less sleep tonight, had I left Doogie there dying, shivering in the dirt. I will spend the rest of my life in jail as opposed to handing him over to be abused further by these people.

Doogie laying on the ground, neighbor crying in background:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN9t1rv4pj4

Doogie after vet at Grimes house:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8wxGP1N7QQ

If you are interested in helping her please pm me and I will tell you what you can do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UtahX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Grand Junction, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Some ####ed up owners for sure.

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Thats indeed sad, I worked at a guys house the other day who was somewhat cruel to his one dog. It bugged me a decent amount, more than I would have thought.

However, if i was ever in a situation like that I would have to end it right there. Not trying to be mean or cruel, but thats the way I was rasied.

dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
sn0border88 said:
However, if i was ever in a situation like that I would have to end it right there. Not trying to be mean or cruel, but thats the way I was rasied.

Yep....sounds to me like the humane thing to do would be euthenasia considering the health issues.

gijoecam

Village Idiot
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Trenton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ExSport, '00 F-150
While what she did may be noble and good, and most of us feel for you and agree with what you did, under the law in most states, dogs are still property. It's likely that she can be charged with theft for doing what you did. In general, if people neglect their dog to start with, it's unlikely they could afford to persue a theft case, but the municipality still could.

There are legal channels for making that type of rescue. No matter how unethical the dog's treatment was, it wasn't illegal. Taking it , however, was.

-Joe

moose1

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
coupville, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt
Joe,

You are so right as far as the legal aspect of what she did. Becuase of the organiztions I an affiliated with I was able to secure a interview with Mr. Riehly( freetom pd chief of police) I spoke with him for a good 30 min. What I was givin for imformation on the case we that she is not being charged for the theft of the dog, but for the way she did it. She is being charged for breaking and entering, and trespassing.

Now for the its unethical but not illegal what the owners did your totaly wrong, the humane society can and will prosucute if an animal is showing sighn of neglect, manurishment, abuse etc. The laws fall under the animal cruelty laws, but can only be prosicuted when a certified independant Vet. conducts a full physical and documants the animals condition and weither or not it constitutes animal cruelty, then the humane officer will make a judgment on the suverty and wiether it would constitue a arrest. The reason the freedom P.d. is not prosicuting the owners is because Mrs. Grimes has not provided the Vet's name so the could conduct and evaluation of the condition report and an interview with the vet. Also she has not realesed the names of the witnesses so they may include this and take it into concideration and there is no clear location for the dogs were abouts. Without this information the Pd has nothing to go on. I agree Mrs. Grimes is wrong for this and feel yes she is in a sense sheltering the owners from there possible conviction, and no it doesnt make sense to me.

rocket 5979

Resident Gearhead
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Villa, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4.6
gijoecam said:
While what she did may be noble and good, and most of us feel for you and agree with what you did, under the law in most states, dogs are still property. It's likely that she can be charged with theft for doing what you did. In general, if people neglect their dog to start with, it's unlikely they could afford to persue a theft case, but the municipality still could.

There are legal channels for making that type of rescue. No matter how unethical the dog's treatment was, it wasn't illegal. Taking it , however, was.

-Joe

+1

While her intentions were noble, her execution of the plan was wrong. The reason people like this get arrested is because they think they have some magical right to butt in on others lives because they think they know something. Well people need to stop butting into others lives and instead follow the proper avenues of the law if they think something is amiss.

Though I do sympathize for the dog, I am glad that woman is being prosecuted for breaking the law. Had she not acted too hastily and used the system correctly and didn't do certain key things, then she would not be in the trouble she is in.

rocket 5979

Resident Gearhead
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Villa, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4.6
RocketFoot said:
I read about this today on MSN Local News...

Dognapper Goes to Jail

Shoot NO WONDER THE DOG WAS LOOKING ALMOST DEAD!!!

"Grimes even posted video of the 19-year-old German Shepherd-Lab mix on YouTube.com. The dog seemed unable to get up"

A 19 year old dog?!?!? No wonder the old thing could not move, it is probably on its way out the door and on up to little ol' doggie heaven. Yeah, that lady who took that dog away seems more and more like a kook who needs to be taught a lesson. Genius. :D And THAT is why there are laws like this to protect people from theft. A picture speaks a thousand words. Apparently that Grimes lady got the wrong message. Maybe it will teach people a lesson to stay out of others business if they don't know the whole story.