Save the Hammers - Johnson Valley -Discussion and Updates | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Save the Hammers - Johnson Valley -Discussion and Updates

RedBullJeep said:
BIG news...today the house voted to pass our bill. It surprised us as this vote was not supposed to take place for a couple more weeks. This makes it easier to focus on the reason for the fundraiser, which is lobbying Senate, which is controlled by Democrats who are not exactly OHV friendly. Our fight comes down to this one last battle. If the Senate passes our amendment, we have a National OHV Recreation Area that can only be changed by an act of Congress. If this does not pass, we're going to have very low odds of hanging onto that land at all. Which do you want it to be? If you want that land to remain as OHV land, DONATE...DIG DEEP. Also, SHARE and ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO DONATE! Contact your clubs, local OHV businesses of all kinds, if you know someone who is well-to-do, ask them for a great favor to family recreation...many make annual donations for write-offs anyway, so why not to keep a family-based lifestyle alive! Do what you can and let's make this happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What Randall is trying to say is we all need to take a few minutes and go to http://savethehammers.org/sth/ and donate. In order to keep this land open to the public we need this bill to pass. In order to get it through the anti ohv Senate we* are going to have to play the game of lobbying, in order to do that we* need money to hire lobbiests.
PLEASE donate, weither you ever plan to set foot outside of your state or not.

Remember, this isn't just about saving Johnson Valley, its about setting precedence for definding all public land. To this point in time we* have always been a reactive force when it comes to land closure. By stepping up and batteling for this measure we* are taking the fight to the proactive side and showing the antis that we are serious about maintaining our rights to access tha which is rightfully ours.

* we = OHV community

Well stated, Mike.

Even if it is just $5, that's better than nothing. Every little bit helps, as they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Bump, made a donation last night. Well worth a small expense to help keep my favorite place open for use.

..Anyone else have any firm information on the outcome of this?

..I heard it passed but did not hear if Johnson Valley became the first Federal OHV Park. I also heard the Marines have the area for 60 days out of the year but for what 60 days or any further info has eluded me..:shifty_ey

RockHoe said:
I got this return letter today from my congressman Ken Calvert. I just thought I would pass it on to those who are interested. Its a response email to request for his support in maintaining access to JV.

Thank you for contacting me about the proposed expansion of the Marine Air Ground Task Force Training Command (MAGTFT)/Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center (MCAGCC) at Twentynine Palms, California.

I share your concerns about impacts to recreational areas. I believe that the military should work to strike a balance between meeting their needs – which are vital to our military's readiness – and respecting the recreational tradition of the area. You will be pleased to know that the fiscal year 2014 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) included a provision that allows the Marines to have access to the adjoining Johnson Valley Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Recreation Area for up to 60 days a year for training exercises, but the OHV area would be otherwise preserved for recreational use.

The provision also establishes the "Johnson Valley National Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Area" under continued management by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM). It provides for public participation in determining the dates for military activities that will be the least disruptive for OHV activities.

The NDAA (H.R. 1960) passed the House with my support on June 14, 2013. The Senate has yet to consider either the House version of the bill or the Senate version. Rest assured, I will keep your support of the Johnson Valley OHV Recreation Area in mind as the NDAA makes its way to final passage.

Once again, thank you for your correspondence. I hope you will continue to contact me regarding issues of importance to you and your family. In the meantime, I encourage you to visit my website at U.S. Congressman Ken Calvert of California's 42nd District and sign up for my weekly e-newsletters. For urgent updates on critical issues, follow me on Twitter (@KenCalvert) and check out my Facebook page (Congressman Ken Calvert).

Sincerely,

KEN CALVERT

Member of Congress

Looks like the Senate is still sitting on their hands with regards to this one. Original post was dated 08/13/13.

johnson-valley-alert-banner.jpg

Johnson Valley Update - Local Communities Support Keeping Johnson Valley (aka "the Hammers) open for OHV use

Dear BRC Action Alert Subscriber,

On Tuesday, August 13, the Twenty nine Palms City Council voted unanimously to support the Johnson Valley National Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Area. This plan was authored by Congressman Paul Cook. BRC believes this signals a growing trend by local government to take an active role in supporting 21st Century comprehensive land use bills.

Check it out:
29 Palms City Council backs recreation area bill
http://www.hidesertstar.com/the_desert_trail/news/article.html

TWENTYNINE PALMS — Rep. Paul Cook’s plan to create the Johnson Valley National Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Recreation Area picked up new support Tuesday night, Aug. 13, when the Twentynine Palms City Council unanimously passed a resolution supporting the plan.

According to the resolution, “such a loss of land for recreation would be a catastrophic loss for a region that relies so heavily on tourism and recreation business.”

The city of Twentynine Palms joins a growing numbers of localities who have voiced their support for the measure. Among those passing resolutions in support of Rep. Cook’s proposal include the following:

The San Bernardino board of supervisors, the town of Apple Valley, the city of Hesperia, the town of Yucca Valley, San Bernardino Associated Governments, and the Homestead Valley Community Council.

Originally introduced earlier this year as a stand-alone bill, the legislation passed the House of Representatives as part of the NDAA (National Defense Authorization Act). The Senate will consider it this fall.

“I’m pleased to have the unanimous support of the City Council of Twentynine Palms. Given the proximity of Twentynine Palms to Johnson Valley, their support is particularly important. I’ve always felt that my proposal mirrors the opinion of people in the high desert, and this is just the latest example of a local community standing up for public access and use of the land. Johnson Valley is one of the few areas left for off-highway vehicle recreation, and we need to ensure not only that it’s protected, but also that people can use the area safely,” Cook said.

Cook’s proposal would withdraw the Johnson Valley OHV area for the purposes of recreation and designate it as the Johnson Valley National OHV Recreation Area. The withdrawn area would be designated specifically for recreational uses, including but not limited to off-highway vehicle use, camping, and hiking. U.S. Marine Corps activities would be permitted to take place twice annually and could not include any explosives that could be left behind without detonating.

Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:41 am | Updated: 8:36 pm, Fri Aug 16, 2013.

BRC believes that support from local elected officials is a critical component of new congressional land-use designations. Top down federal land designations that emanate in Washington, DC. With little or no support or input from affected governments and the grassroots are doomed to failure on a number of fronts.

Learn more about efforts to save Johnson Valley at the Save the Hammers.org website here: http://savethehammers.org/sth/

Thanks in advance and, as always, if you have any questions or concerns, please contact BRC.

Don Amador
Western Representative
BlueRibbon Coalition

..I just received this from Dave Cole...

Senator Dianne Feinstein is considering re-submitting Alternative Six through the Senate Arms Committee. This will take away the majority of Johnson Valley forever.

..It's time to start making phone calls and writing letters..Here is the link and there are links to PDF letter's for Senator Dianne Feinstein and for "Talking points to use in your phone calls and emails"..
http://ultra4racing.com/featured/the-hammers-needs-your-help-today/

Friends,

I will try to be brief as I know we are all very busy. The process to save our public land has been moving through the Political Machine. We have tried hard to keep from ‘crying wolf’ and calling for action like this too often. Now is the time.

Congressman Paul Cook introduced legislation that met the Marine Corps Training needs and retained public access to the entirety of Johnson Valley. It was a modified version of the Marine Corps Alternative Four and the result will be The Johnson Valley National OHV Area. It went unopposed in the House of Representatives and is now part of the National Defense Authorization Act awaiting confirmation by the Senate.

Senator Dianne Feinstein is considering re-submitting Alternative Six through the Senate Arms Committee. This will take away the majority of Johnson Valley forever.

It is time to have our voices heard.
There may be other similar opportunities in the near future to support this cause. We are in the final weeks of this process. Please take the time to act.

Call and write to Senator Dianne Feinstein urging her to support the existing Alternative Four (also known as the Cook/McKeon Compromise) and DO NOT offer a conflicting proposal.

State Office: (415) 393-0707

Washington Office: (202) 224-3841

LA Office: (310) 914-7300

San Diego Office: (619) 231-9712

Fresno Office: (559) 485-7430

Email Link https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/e-mail-me

Below are links to both talking points and the letter that I submitted. Please use your own words. We, as a group, made a difference before, we will again. Without your letter, we could lose this fight. Save the text you send her in your email as we may look to resubmit that in printed form as well (more on that later).

Link to my letter to Senator Feinstein

Link to talking points to use in your phone calls and emails

This is not just about off-roading. We are supporting our neighbors in the High Desert Area. Every surrounding town council joined the San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors and Congressmen Cook, McCarthy, and McKeon in opposing Alternative Six.

Thank you for your time, please share this with anyone and everyone. In the near future we may be asking to reach out to other politicians so stay tuned and together we WILL be heard. Contact Senator Feinstein TODAY. Urge her to support the Cook/Mckeon compromise (also known as Alternative 4).

Sincerest Regards,

Dave Cole
on behalf of the California Motorized Recreation Council

..We still get to wheel in the backyard..:biggthump

King of The Hammers Will Continue in Johnson Valley, CA

ImageProxy.mvc

December 11th, 2013: JOHNSON VALLEY, CA: Hammerking Productions, the founders of The Griffin King of The Hammers Presented by Nitto Tire, are pleased to announce that the week-long off road festival held annually in Johnson Valley, CA will be able to continue in its current location for the foreseeable future. After six years of negotiations between the United States Marine Corps, the federal government and the Off Highway Vehicle(OHV) Community, a deal has been reached to preserve the majority of the land in Johnson Valley for OHV use.

Congressman Paul Cook spearheaded the deal which allows nearly 100,000 acres of land to remain open to the public and managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). The Marines will have access to approximately 55,000 acres of shared use land for 60 days a year to meet their training objectives, but will not retain ownership of the land the remaining 305 days a year. The proposed legislation is expected to pass the House later this week and the Senate next week before the holiday recess.

The deal preserves access to the trail system known as "The Hammers." Areas that were formerly at risk including trails named Spooners, Aftershock, Sunbonnet, and Riffle Canyon as well as the California 200 Memorial at the spot known as "The Rock Pile" on Bessemer Mine Rd. remain open to public recreation under the current plan. The plan also includes access to Soggy Lake, Emerson Lake and the majority of the Fry Mountains.

Dave Cole, founder of King of The Hammers, had this to say, "This deal is something that couldn't have happened without the tireless support of the entire off road community. Thousands of people have donated time, energy and money for us to reach this point. Thank you to all who have worked to Save the Hammers for future generations. I especially want to thank Congressman Paul Cook, The California Motorized Recreational Council and The Off Road Business Association for their efforts. We wouldn't have made it to this point without them."

johnson-valley-alert-banner.jpg

CALIFORNIA - New Deal for Johnson Valley Off-Highway Vehicle Area

Dear BRC Action Alert Subscriber,

A new deal has been achieved for the Johnson Valley Off-Highway Vehicle Area thanks to the efforts of thousands of supporters, the California Motorized Recreation Council (CMRC), many groups and clubs, and particularly, Rep. Paul Cook (Calif. 8th District). It took 5 years of sweat, work, letters and persistence to prevent the 29 Palms Marine Base expansion from taking over all of Johnson Valley and The Hammers. The deal is a compromise with the Marines; but a win compared to other alternatives.

If you've ever wondered why it's important to vote for politicians who support our side of things, this should permanently convince you of the value of just that.
Here is the link to Congressman Cook's press release for more info: LINK

Thanks in advance and, as always, if you have any questions or concerns, please contact BRC.

Del Albright
Director of Operations
BlueRibbon Coalition
brdel@sharetrails.org

Back