Saw a 2002 4dr today!

CougarX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB, '02 ST, '97 XLT
I saw it on the way home today (I-65 in Louisville, KY). It was sitting on the side of the road with a 2000 sport in front of it(not sure if that was a good sign). I would guess that they were testing the powertrain since the body was all there and painted and not covered by tarps or anything.
The basic shape and size are the same but the rear window is larger (a la Navigator) and the front grill is larger with an egg crate design (a la expedition). The hood also has a small bulge down the middle like the new rangers. I didn't see much because I was doing 70 in heavy traffic when I passed it.
I would say that the Ford plant is getting ready to start production on them (Ford plant in Louisville makes Explorers and Rangers) and they are working out final bugs. There probably trying to figure out how to keep that 4.6L cool in such a tight space!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ahh a 4.6 :insert drooling Homer head here:

Only 2???

Only 2 on earth? I don't know about that. I'm sure there are some in Death Valley doing their hot climate testing. as well as others elsewhere doing climate extreme testing.

I can't wait to see them out. Does anyone know the weight difference between the 2002 explorer and an expedition? This explorer could be a hot rod with the v8.

Insert vision of smoky burnout here.

Rob

Nope, there are only two fully completed models on earth. Yes there are mules around the world completing final testing, but they aren't complete vehicles.

Getting closer to production means getting closer to test drive date for me

Hey, Maybe Ford will bring one of them out to Truckhaven like they did the Sport-Trak. :D
I did have fun bouncing it around. :D

Have some info on the new 4 door 2002......

This is the info I have:

Full independent suspention. In the rear coil springs, upper and lower control arms. Which has a greater ground clearance up to 9.2 inches.

Old v6 and v8 out. Come the new with a 210hp V6 and a 240hp 4.6 V8. The V6 can pull up to 6820 lbs and the V8 pulls 7300 lbs.

Complete new chasis, stiffer and safer. Even with rollovers. Side airbags that detect the rollover and stay inflated for 6 seconds.

Revised ABS sensors to prevent interferance with the 4X4 mode hi/lo.

I even have some pics.

Well, I saw one too. I was on my way to Morgantown WV on I68, and one was coming the opposite direction. Looked to be a lower model, didnt have the body cladding the ones in the pictures did. It was dark green, better looking in person.

Today I had to take a ride up to Giant Stadium, while I was drving through the parking lot, they were testing out the 2002. Man that thing is sweet. They were racing it against the new Durango, 4 Runner and Grand Cherokee. I had to stay and watch of course. OH MY GOD. The explorer SMOKED the 4 runner and Durango, I MEAN BLEW IT AWAY. As for the Grand Cherokee, not so successful. The grand cherokee is very light and with that powerful V8, it just takes off man. I was dyin to take that Explorer for a rip. I took notice that it had Firestone tires on it, that can change though. Overall I like the new design and from what I saw, smoking other SUV's it made me very happy. I just might have to get one when it comes out.

I am not sure what Ford is doing. I read an article in the latest Truck Trend about the new 2002 Explorer. They went w/ 4 wheel independent suspension, YUCK!! But they are using the new 4.6L V-8, COOL. They must be trying to split the market by making the Explorer a mid sized grocery getter and bringing out the new Wrangler Fighter. I hope they wise up and loose the independent suspension for the latter of the two markets.

Okay, let's look at the hummer. The Ifs pivots toward the center of the vehicle, unlike the explorer. This causes more wheel travel, but I have seen a hummer in action and it lifts wheels off the ground more than an Explorer.

Rear independent suspension means more clearance and less parts getting hanged up or damaged by obstacles on the road or off road. On the pavement it means more control, more confortable ride. Also it means that inside the vehicle, in the rear to be precise, there will be more room, notice Ford will be able to offer a third row seat.

Clearance now is +9" instead of 6".

True... But

The independant rear will be better on and off road as opposed to a old STOCK explorer. BUT, any suspension modification will be near impossible for the average person. The new explorer will be great for those who use their explorer around town and on slick/snowy/rough roads. The independant suspension will also be better than a stock height, solid axle off road. Anybody who wants to lift their explorer, however, might as well avoid 4-wheel independant suspension. A Hummer was designed from the start as a high ground clearance(hence the independant suspension), off-road beast. If explorers cost $90,000 they would be a lot better too.

Well at least it has some balls!

Finally! If the reports about the drag races mentioned above are true, then it sounds like Ferd is going the right direction with the motor. I'd say the independant suspension is a good move; more to keep up with the likes of the pathfinder and QX4, and other suv's.Dead Link Removed

Back