Say What????? From Kansas to Our Kansas, Your Kansas ?, ok Arkansas and back | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Say What????? From Kansas to Our Kansas, Your Kansas ?, ok Arkansas and back

You know what is funny? Gmanpaint and I filled up at the same time in Springfield, Mo, drove to Corning , Ar, and filled up right across the state line in Missouri on the return trip. We pumped the same amount of fuel. His is 95 ohv lifted on 33's

I'll have to load that block up and bring it back out there. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, my pictures

The 2 mx4's lined up

HPIM4053.jpg

HPIM4051.jpg

HPIM4052.jpg

HPIM4057.jpg

HPIM4056.jpg

After a little cleaning, and some mothers polish on the tree scuff

HPIM4067.jpg

I need to do a little more work on the center caps to get them to stay put, but for picture purposes, here they are

HPIM4062.jpg

smoked chrome control arms and spindles, red t -bars, titanium metallic endlinks, and wrinkle black drop brackets.

HPIM4069.jpg

HPIM4066.jpg

I will have this pretty'd up in no time--the object was to get it to where you can see it

33" spare tucked away

HPIM4065.jpg

So what was the object of the rear end swap?

Gear ratio?

So what was the object of the rear end swap?

Gear ratio?

I had 4.10's, open carrier with an Aussie Locker- Amber (my wife) is now DDing the Mounty, hated the locker- it didn't suit her driving style so to speak. :D

She likes the LS much better, and the 3.73's are a better fit with 31's for highway driving.

I also had a CAD front diff- won't fit without the drop brackets- that is one thing I will miss- CAD is awesome for driveability and mileage.

What hasn't been told was what we all worked to do- Jon arrived about 4 PM Friday. We finished up around 4 AM. At 8 AM Saturday morning his mounty was getting an alignment and tires mounted. Sure the driveshaft wasn't in, and the transfer case skid plate needed to be bolted back up, but in about 12 hours, we swapped rear axles and installed a front lift on an all nighter. It would have been sooner, but all of Jon's brake fluid leaked out while we were eating dinner and bleeding the whole system took forever. Saturday afternoon, we put the diff under the front of mine and installed the CV axles. Two trucks torn apart and reassembled in around 36 hours. :thumbsup:

I'm still tired.........

^^^
What he said. I didn't even 10 percent of the work, and I don't know if I will ever be the same.

I woke up about 8:15, went outside and whoa--my truck was gone. I said-WTF?

What is a CAD front diff?

Thanks sounds like something I need to do in the future after the 4406 swap:D

Yeah I read that:thumbdwn: may not be what I want to do. I dont think I want to lift it but if I do I will probably hook this up. I am definitely looking into the 4406 swap though:thumbsup:

^^^
What he said. I didn't even 10 percent of the work, and I don't know if I will ever be the same.

I woke up about 8:15, went outside and whoa--my truck was gone. I said-WTF?

Well, you're kinda an old man. I'm surprised your walking. :D:p:

Wow it looks great JT!!
Please show me what you did to get the 33" tucked up under there and also PUT A CHAIN OR CABLE ON YOURS

no way will the stock winch hold that 33" up there for long and the last thing you or other drivers need is a 33" tire inthe middle of the highway LOL

truck looks *****in! what front bumper cover is that? 98 Mounty?

Wow it looks great JT!!
Please show me what you did to get the 33" tucked up under there and also PUT A CHAIN OR CABLE ON YOURS

no way will the stock winch hold that 33" up there for long and the last thing you or other drivers need is a 33" tire inthe middle of the highway LOL

truck looks *****in! what front bumper cover is that? 98 Mounty?

Thanks Jamie

The bumper needs repainted again, I would like to find an Eddie B metal bumper and coat it.

This one is supposedly just a xlt style explorer bumper cover I think.

Evan was hauling this spare around with a hidden hitch, however, a "Draw tite" hitch will only allow a 31" spare
I'm going to coat my rear bumper and hidden hitch smoked chrome when I have a chance, then install the hitch.

Where should I anchor this safety cable??

I have been in a semi-coma since midnight last Friday! The only thing that woke me up a few hours later on Saturday morning was the smell of Breakfast cooking in the kitchen.

I think once I am healed up from this adventure, I am going to finish up some of my own work to the Black Hole. I definitely have been motivated even more than I am already to just jump into it and get it done.

Doing what we did in the time frame we did it makes doing something like changing shocks seem like blowing your nose. I already did the f150 coil spacers on the 1st gen by myself in about 45 minutes. These guys just built my confidence level up another notch.

awesome weekends worth of work guys! im stuck working on my truck by myself so things always go kind of slow. im really impressed with all you got done and mountaineergreens decision to part out the lift and keep the truck as a DD, what motivated that whole transaction?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

awesome weekends worth of work guys! im stuck working on my truck by myself so things always go kind of slow. im really impressed with all you got done and mountaineergreens decision to part out the lift and keep the truck as a DD, what motivated that whole transaction?

Well, the Mounty had been mostly sitting for a year- I drove it 3,000 miles last year. Gas was so high, I had a V6 ranger that got 20+ mpg, so it sat mostly. Then I got a company truck, gas paid for. :D I sold the ranger, but the Mounty still mostly sat. I posted it for sale, but with little interest, I decided to keep it and because my wife's car had 150k on it, I hated it (Olds Alero 2D), so we sold it. She took over the Mounty as a DD, hated the locker and lift, felt too tippy to her after driving her car. JT had been wanting a lift, it just all worked out.

Amber and I went about 70 miles in it yesterday afternoon, she drove and likes it much better.

I didn't mind the locker and lift, but she hated it and it made me nervous with her lack of experience driving a truck based vehicle. At times her driving leaves a bit to be desired, IMO. Shhhh don't tell her I said that.

Back