saying thanks yet again.....clutch bleed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

saying thanks yet again.....clutch bleed

tweety

Reaction score
City, State
just leaving your sister's
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 sport
Love this forum. Just finished replacing clutch master cylinder. Great tip on forum about inverting master to bleed. Thanks to poster. Let me pay it forward for the next guy with a few insights into my repair.

After removing plunger from master, master from pedal bracket, stuffing master through the firewall and inverting master....

I attached a long (@3 ft) clear tube to slave cylinder bleeder and threaded it through the engine bay and up by battery and then stuck a funnel in it to catch any excess fluid. I crawled under and opened bleeder a few turns. Saw fluid start to fill tube. Took long screw driver, inserted it into master cylinder and pushed it up against brake booster for leverage. As I plunged master I could see bubbles escaping slave bleeder then as I retracted I could see fluid get sucked back into slave. (Also had helper topping off clutch resevoir as needed..this is crucial!!!) Kept plunging until all bubbles escaped slave and nothing was seen except fluid flowing, of course plunged a few more times just to be sure. Tightened down slave bleeder and then tried to plunge master as before..could barely move it (This is good!) Job is basically done.

Went up top tried to suction as much fluid out of the funnel and tube only to minimize mess. If you don't have something to siphon with then you can just pull it off slave bleeder and let drain out into pan.

...back up top... install master through firewall and into pedal cluster, attach switch and plunger (I removed black plastic clip from plunger and placed plunger over pedal to test without it locking in case I needed to remove it again and didn't want to destroy black clip.) Sat in truck, stepped on clutch pedal..seemed to operate fine, good feel and full range of motion. Slid plunger off pedal installed clip in plunger and slid back on pedal, clicked it into place. Done!

Hope this helps someone.

BTW: ..after fixing and test driving, while parked and checking for any leaking clutch fluid..noticed fuel filter was rusted and dripping a few drops of gas (175k probably original ..it was due)...so had to replace that the next day...what a PITA to remove..simple to install..

gotta love these explorers :)

Back