Scangauge II Review

-junior

Reaction score
City, State
south jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Explorer SportTrac XLT
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to review and share my experience with my recently purchased Scangauge II.

The Scangauge is going in my 2005 Sport Trac XLT

Scangauge arrived timely from Amazon ($160-free shipping)

http://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Com..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1280417767&sr=8-1

Fit perfect in the ODBII directly below the dash/streering wheel (in the middle of dash to the right of the emergency brake.

I ran the cable from the OBDII threw the dash and up behind the center console and just wedged the RJ-45 between the foam padding of the dash and center console and mounted right under heat/ac controls. In the first attempt I just used velcro included with the Scangauge but I didn't really like the results. So the second attempt I tried RTV and it was just too messy, then moved to a "GOOP" alternative, but the dry time for mounting was an hour, and button pushing would move the adhesive. So I finally settled on just straight up crazyglue. Mounts clean and dries extremely fast. As a warning though, I mounted on the removable head unit bezel as you can repaint that if needed. After removing (see issues below) the crazy glue did remove some of the paint off the plastic.

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

After getting installed and operating for a couple of days I noticed the Scangauge would automatically shutoff while driving, oddly enough only in the afternoon and evening, as it was summer i thought it was a heat issue, because it would work great in the morning. But after a couple more days I noticed the Scangauge would stop reporting metrics, just go blank on the RPM's or fWT during operation.

IMG_0275.jpg

So I called up Scangauge and they just said this was a known issue with the Explorer Sport Trac and that they would be sending me a new unit immediately. I was very impressed with their customer service and a couple days later the new unit arrived with a prepaid return envelope for the old unit. Before I shipped it back I checked the versions on the old/new.

OLD:
[
IMG_0289.jpg

NEW:
IMG_0290.jpg

Since the replacement came I haven't had any issues with the Scangauge, so if anyone has any issues with the Scangauge in their Xplorer or Sport Trac, check your version and give Scangauge Support a call.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the info.

Looks great. Have you used the scanguage to display transmission temp?

I don't think it measures that....at least in the 2nd gen. I've got a Scangauge 1 which is almost identical except for the fugly case. They downsized it immensely in the 2nd rendition of the tool. I rarely use mine. It's stored in the jack compartment in my truck. I'll show it to you next time we meet for a drug deal, er other hookup. :D

The Scanguage II will measure trans temp on a 2nd gen :p: Also on a 3rd gen (I got it displaying Trans Temp on both). You have to program it, see 'xguage' on their website. Also shows cool and useful things like fuel trim, IAT, plus fuel and transmission pressures, horsepower, torque.

If anyone has questions about xguage programming, I'll try to help. It's a little quirky...

my scangauge II displays trans temp. It's part of the xgauge feature.

That explains it. The SG1 doesn't do that. I haven't used it since I calibrated my tach and speed when I swapped in red needles almost 5 years ago. The older one is too bulky to keep around for anything useful.
Posted via Mobile Device

stock out of the box my scangauge doesn't do trans temp. i've read you can program it with the xgauge just haven't got around to it yet.

@n2epv, is the trans temp difficult to program?

The Scanguage II will measure trans temp on a 2nd gen :p: Also on a 3rd gen (I got it displaying Trans Temp on both). You have to program it, see 'xguage' on their website. Also shows cool and useful things like fuel trim, IAT, plus fuel and transmission pressures, horsepower, torque.

If anyone has questions about xguage programming, I'll try to help. It's a little quirky...

May need to take you up on that someday. The whole point of why I picked up the scanguage was to monitor trans temps among other things. Thanks

The xgauge is not too difficult at all to configure! Adds some pretty awesome functionality too! I went out at lunch, punched in the vehicle specific codes found at the scangauge site, and 10 minutes later had Horsepower, Torque, Transmission Fluid Temp and Fuel %!

There are a bunch of other metrics you can gather too.

Check it out

http://scangauge.com/support/xgauge.shtml

Here's an example of Trans Fluid Temp

You can add vehicle specific gauges to your ScanGauge.
* To start, from the HOME screen use MORE>MORE>MORE>XGAUGE
* Then in the top right select the number of the XGauge memory you want to use (0 to 24)
* Next <EDIT this will take you to the TXD screen
* Using the commands link at the top of this page find your car and enter the values shown in the TXD, RXF, RXD, MTH, and NAME portion of the page
* When entering values, the buttons on the left are + and - to change characters up and down, on the top right is -> to move to the next space, and OK>
* The NAME does not have to be the one provided on the spreadsheet, those are only suggestions
* Lastly press SAVE

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

Does the scangauge monitor any of the sensor readings, O2, or temperature sensors? Does it come with values for normal operating parameters? I am thinking of installing one on a 1999 ford explorer.

Calvin

Sensors yes (many); O2, no.
No normal operating parameters, you are expected to know them or get them from the MFGR.

Does the scangauge monitor any of the sensor readings, O2, or temperature sensors? Does it come with values for normal operating parameters? I am thinking of installing one on a 1999 ford explorer.

Calvin

Hey fellow Canuck.. There's a guy on eBay that sells them. He's in Vancouver and doesn't charge shipping. I got mine in one day from Vancouver after I bought it. Cheaper than going stateside. I got it about 6 weeks ago.

Sadly, mine has been flaky. I also have a SG1 but it's too fugly to keep in the car all the time. I used it for troubleshooting etc. I've got pretty good tech support from SG. They're sending a new circuitboard to me to swap out as mine seems defective.

Ironically, it's been working like a charm since it got so cold out. My Intake Air Temp measurement was -25C as I was headed home for lunch today which is pretty much ambient. :D

What temps are your ST's running on tranny fluid temp? I just did the programming on mine, and the temp has not gone above 171.

I am just using a Innova 0303. I just replaced all 3 of my O2 sensors on 1999 4.0 OHV, purchased Bosch, from Auto Parts plus. I don't think they have been replaced since new so just done all 3. I have drove for about 45 minutes, & I can't get the Monitor Icons to go into ready mode. I am showing C, & EV flashing which indicates Catalyst Monitor, & Evaporative Systems Monitor are "not in ready" state. I never unplugged the battery to replace the O2 sensors, Would that make a difference, or should I just drive it for a few days? It is not reading any error codes, & I have never seen a Service Engine light on my dashboard display. Does the Scanguage II monitor fuel usage, MPG?

Clamb - What you are seeing with the monitors not ready (flashing) sounds perfectly normal. Having the Service Engine light is off is an indication that there are no fault codes present and you just haven't driven it enough for the last 2 monitors to get to a 'ready' state. Do a web search for 'Ford emissions drive cycle'. Here's one link that I found - http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/670826-emissions-drive-cycles.html .

Seems you need to drive at least 15 minutes above 64 KPH for the catalyst monitor to complete. I didn't see anything about the evap monitor.

FWIW, the auto inspection test guy here told me that my '97 Mounty will pass the state emissions test with up to 2 monitors not ready and but no fault codes. Newer vehicles (forgot what years) need to have all monitors ready for a pass. Since I have 200,000 miles on my truck (and the cat converters are original), the only way I can get it to pass emissions is to do a 'PCM reset', then drive for a week with only city driving. I then go in for the emissions test with the catalyst monitor not ready and get a 'PASS' sticker. Had I driven fast enough for the cat monitor to complete (then the monitor test fails and lights the Sevice Engine light) I would fail the emissions test.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clamb - What you are seeing with the monitors not ready (flashing) sounds perfectly normal. Having the Service Engine light is off is an indication that there are no fault codes present and you just haven't driven it enough for the last 2 monitors to get to a 'ready' state. Do a web search for 'Ford emissions drive cycle'. Here's one link that I found - http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/670826-emissions-drive-cycles.html .

Seems you need to drive at least 15 minutes above 64 KPH for the catalyst monitor to complete. I didn't see anything about the evap monitor.

FWIW, the auto inspection test guy here told me that my '97 Mounty will pass the state emissions test with up to 2 monitors not ready and but no fault codes. Newer vehicles (forgot what years) need to have all monitors ready for a pass. Since I have 200,000 miles on my truck (and the cat converters are original), the only way I can get it to pass emissions is to do a 'PCM reset', then drive for a week with only city driving. I then go in for the emissions test with the catalyst monitor not ready and get a 'PASS' sticker. Had I driven fast enough for the cat monitor to complete (then the monitor test fails and lights the Sevice Engine light) I would fail the emissions test.

I have run about 6 tanks of fuel through it and still can not get it to pass the evap monitor tests. I am also getting very poor fuel economy, somewhere around 8.5 MPG (us Gallon) 10.5 Imperial Miles / gallon. I replaced all the O2 sensors. I am not showing any fault codes on my scanner though to indicate any problems.

Back