• Register Today It's free!

Scangauge

MarkOPKS

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.0
Anybody got a Scangauge II they're looking to unload/know where I might find one for cheaper than $160?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have one best thing i ever bought...i got my money worth out of it and then some.

I like to THINK that I know stuff about cars and I get the jist of a scan gauge but what does it specifically do?

It reads a bunch of info from the car's computer, such as real time mpg, temperatures, engine behavior, and i think it reads engine codes. I'd mainly use it for mpg and tranny temp for towing this summer. It doesn't let you reprogram anything but it allows you to keep a very close eye on pretty much everything (at least from my understanding what i've read so far)

what he said, plus i use it to measure tranny temp, mpg, fuel level(which is more accurate than the onboard computer) air intake temp(to let me know when its time to clean a dirty filter) and it also has a horsepower gauge that is pretty fun to play with before and after you do mods to see what affects they have if any.

Example: I measure the amount of horsepower used when at idle and when a/c is on and when truck is in neutral to allow my truck to idle while consuming the least amount of gas.

Also when driving 40mph calculating how much horsepower is being used and then do a mod such as throttle body, cai, or exhaust then measure and see if less or more horsepower is used to keep you at the 40mph mark.

For me that information is as good as gold to get the knowledge to make your truck perform at its best by adapting your driving styles to get the best numbers.

^^ I'm sold:chug:

Now the question is.... Where do you mount your scangauge?

I like to keep things like this realtively close to the speedo and other gauges. I have mine mounted right before hazard lights.
IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

Now the question is.... Where do you mount your scangauge?

You could also get a blendmount and put it above or below your rear view mirror...usually you can get a combo deal if you buy together.

Here is a pic of mine with the blendmount. Doesn't get in the way and really easy to watch safely while driving. Doesn't bother me at night either.

IMG_4844.jpg

I ran the wire up the mirror stalk, tucked it under the headliner where it meets the windshield, and behind the a-pillar panel and then up under the dash into the obd port by the parking brake release
Posted via Mobile Device

Got a smartphone?

If so, you have another option too...

You could run 'Torque' also. I think it's now under $5 for the app... See review HERE

Buy a branded OBD bluetooth adapter for $40-50, or an eBay knockoff for $15...

Here is a truthful thought, as it all depends on your needs:

Sadly, I've replaced Torque. Everything good I've ever said about it still stands and I really miss it, but it's not the best thing for my needs. The biggest problem for Torque is that my commute is so long and the bluetooth draws so much power. If I forget to disable bluetooth or don't exit Torque properly when I get to work then my phone's going to run out of juice by the time I'm halfway home. I can't effectively hardwire my phone to the car because it's my phone- I need to take it with me and sometimes I get calls when I'm in the car. The other main problem is the connectivity. Sometimes it takes a while for everything to get on the same page, and EOC without a kill switch breaks the connection. Some days Torque was up less than half the time.

None of this is Torque's fault. I'll bet I could smooth out the connection issues by configuring the protocol and getting that kill switch done, but I can't fix the large amount of time that my phone is tied up. I got an Ultra Gauge, which is better suited to my commuting needs, but every time I look at it I get a twinge of regret that I'm not looking at Torque's pretty display. That thing just looks great, and having actual gauges makes it easier to read out of the corner of your eye than a screen full of numbers.

I'm not getting rid of it, though. I have to figure out the logging and I expect it to do quite well for studying snapshots of my driving and testing mods. It's going to be perfect for displaying the A-B-C coastdown tests of my roof top box, for one thing.

Damn. More $$$$$$......

Got a smartphone?

If so, you have another option too...

You could run 'Torque' also. I think it's now under $5 for the app... See review HERE

Buy a branded OBD bluetooth adapter for $40-50, or an eBay knockoff for $15...

Here is a truthful thought, as it all depends on your needs:

I think that's what Kyle (Triton8273) has...

I ran mine just the way Ronin did and no issues as well. Great thing to have in the car

Well I just might have to get one of those, I just ordered a K&N and new grill so that set me back alittle bit..That and replacing the entire harmonic balancer assembly. :mad:

^^oh how lovely...

If anyone else wants in maybe we can try for a group buy?

I'm for sure going with Scangauge, seems to be well worth the extra $$.

Good question haha I can try to figure that out though, I'll try calling Linear Logic tomorrow (I've got a final tonight and they're probably already closed). I'm assuming the more the merrier, and by merrier I mean better discount! :thumbsup:

Go spend $25 on amazon from a US located, -ELM 327- and torque(paid 4.99 for full version)
And my smartphone can do more than a scangauge could ever including record gauge data overlaid with a gps and video feed from cam...JUST ONE FEATURE
Clear any code plus ability to update software and add vehicle specific pid's...
With endless custom designed and laid out displays including hud it is far easier on me to monitor endless parameters simeltaniously..
I monitor about twenty parameters including trans temp air temp @ maf intake and a/f to name a few
You can data log and with a touch email it to whoever...

Tried it on everything works great reading boost etc... Never had a issue. Even have multiple vehicle profiles saved for all my whips...

IMHO--- By far best $30 EVER SPENT- wanted a scangauge but couldn't justify when this was a fraction of the cost, looking back I'm so glad I saved that Benjamin for something else..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go spend $25 on amazon from a US located, -ELM 327- and torque(paid 4.99 for full version)
And my smartphone can do more than a scangauge could ever including record gauge data overlaid with a gps and video feed from cam...JUST ONE FEATURE
Clear any code plus ability to update software and add vehicle specific pid's...
With endless custom designed and laid out displays including hud it is far easier on me to monitor endless parameters simeltaniously..
I monitor about twenty parameters including trans temp air temp @ maf intake and a/f to name a few
You can data log and with a touch email it to whoever...

Tried it on everything works great reading boost etc... Never had a issue. Even have multiple vehicle profiles saved for all my whips...

IMHO--- By far best $30 EVER SPENT- wanted a scangauge but couldn't justify when this was a fraction of the cost, looking back I'm so glad I saved that Benjamin for something else..

What brand did you end up getting??

Back