Scary Terrain Management / Advanced Trac System Failure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Scary Terrain Management / Advanced Trac System Failure

gulihhdster

Reaction score
City, State
Malden, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer
I know this is a common error everyone in this forum is seeing. I was seeing it too and I felt no big deal as I can still go wherever I want to go and car is still able to function well. HOWEVER, the most scary thing happened today and yesterday when the error message comes up. Here is what happened:

I was driving my 2014 Explorer XLT yesterday in the parking lot with my two babies inside. I made a right turn and tried to wheeled back to go straight, but all of sudden, wheel got locked and I can't make any turn with the error showing. So I got stuck in the parking lot with my two babies crying in the backseat because it's so hot and every car in the lane was honking. No one believes something like that can happen to a brand new car with only about 11000 miles on it. I called roadside assistance, they tried to help and they were good. While waiting I restarted my car and errors go away so I was able to drive home. Today same thing happened again, we literally stupidly sit in the car for 30 mins to restart the car and finally got the errors away.

I can't image if your wheel got locked in the highway and you can not turn either way, this is gonna cause really serious safe problems. I will go to the dealer and try to fix it. I have two babies and rely on this car to go to daycare. Really wish I had a more reliable brand:(. If you experienced this situation, you will understand how frustrated and angry I am about this.

Update:

Got my car back a month ago, dealer changed the steering rack!

Now it happens again! This time, I pulled over car in highway! Can't be more disappointed and frustrated about this situation

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is horrible. I feel for you especially with two small children in the vehicle. Take it to the dealer and find out what is wrong first. Don't leave with the Explorer until you feel comfortable Ford fixed the problem. Let us know how it goes. Crystal is a Ford rep on this forum. Maybe we could get her involved. I drive a new Sport; and have not heard of this happening before so I'm really interested as to what the problem is.

Edit to add: I saw another thread on page 2 of this forum describing a similar problem as you. The thread title is: Advance Trac Issue or Problem. Here is a snip from it:

"The dealer finally got the part in they ordered and the issue was fixed. Both the advancetrac and the air bag light went off, apparently they are controlled by the same part which had gone bad. So if yours goes off it's likely the same issue.

Part #BB5Z*14B321*A was replaced, and this fixed the issue.
"

I know this is a common error everyone in this forum is seeing. I was seeing it too and I felt no big deal as I can still go wherever I want to go and car is still able to function well. HOWEVER, the most scary thing happened today and yesterday when the error message comes up. Here is what happened:

I was driving my 2014 Explorer XLT yesterday in the parking lot with my two babies inside. I made a right turn and tried to wheeled back to go straight, but all of sudden, wheel got locked and I can't make any turn with the error showing. So I got stuck in the parking lot with my two babies crying in the backseat because it's so hot and every car in the lane was honking. No one believes something like that can happen to a brand new car with only about 11000 miles on it. I called roadside assistance, they tried to help and they were good. While waiting I restarted my car and errors go away so I was able to drive home. Today same thing happened again, we literally stupidly sit in the car for 30 mins to restart the car and finally got the errors away.

I can't image if your wheel got locked in the highway and you can not turn either way, this is gonna cause really serious safe problems. I will go to the dealer and try to fix it. I have two babies and rely on this car to go to daycare. Really wish I had a more reliable brand:(. If you experienced this situation, you will understand how frustrated and angry I am about this.

Sounds like a faulty steering angle sensor or wheel speed sensor. Both are repairable under warranty at the dealer.

I am sorry that you have had problems, but to make a sweeping statement on having a "reliable brand" is out of place, I believe. All automakers have their issues, and some worse than others (see GM exploding ignitions, Toyota brakes, Chrysler Dodge trans etc etc). Ford happens to be one of the more reliable in my experiences, and when there was an issue, corrected it promptly. I hope you have a good dealer and if not, try another. Not all dealers are the same.

In the meantime, I have read where others have simply restarted the car and the errors went away. There's so many sensors in these vehicles. Good luck and restart your car next time to get your kids out of harms way.

I'm sure I'm going to get some crap for this post but sometimes things like this aggravate me. I have 2 little kids as well (1 and 4 year old) and we depend on our Explorer just as much as you.

HOWEVER...

You make a blanket statement of "Really wish I had a more reliable brand" yet one of the first things you state is you were aware that people were having this issue and that YOU WERE/ARE having this issue but pretty much ignored it. Instead of making an appt. when you first had the issue, you felt it was just "no big deal". Sorry but you have a good portion of the blame on this one... if you would of addressed it when it first happened, these "lockup" situations wouldn't have happened.

Second, you go on to say how your babies were crying because it was so hot outside. Wasn't your Ex running??? You do have AC even though the steering wheel locked up. I really don't get this (in my opinion) exaggeration on trying to make a bad event sound even worse. Maybe I am misunderstanding something here...

Am I coming off harsh, sure but I hate seeing new members with their first post attacking a company and a vehicle taking zero blame for an issue that could have been prevented by you taking the appropriate steps that should have been taken upon the first incident of failure.

And just to add, I'd be saying the same thing if this happened with another manufacturer as well and not just about Ford. I challenge you to go to any dealer of any manufacturer and see if there are no vehicles being repaired in the shop. Anything built by humans or robots/machines can/will break.

I'm sure I'm going to get some crap for this post but sometimes things like this aggravate me. I have 2 little kids as well (1 and 4 year old) and we depend on our Explorer just as much as you.

HOWEVER...

You make a blanket statement of "Really wish I had a more reliable brand" yet one of the first things you state is you were aware that people were having this issue and that YOU WERE/ARE having this issue but pretty much ignored it. Instead of making an appt. when you first had the issue, you felt it was just "no big deal". Sorry but you have a good portion of the blame on this one... if you would of addressed it when it first happened, these "lockup" situations wouldn't have happened.

Second, you go on to say how your babies were crying because it was so hot outside. Wasn't your Ex running??? You do have AC even though the steering wheel locked up. I really don't get this (in my opinion) exaggeration on trying to make a bad event sound even worse. Maybe I am misunderstanding something here...

Am I coming off harsh, sure but I hate seeing new members with their first post attacking a company and a vehicle taking zero blame for an issue that could have been prevented by you taking the appropriate steps that should have been taken upon the first incident of failure.

And just to add, I'd be saying the same thing if this happened with another manufacturer as well and not just about Ford. I challenge you to go to any dealer of any manufacturer and see if there are no vehicles being repaired in the shop. Anything built by humans or robots/machines can/will break.

I'm not going to give you any beefs with your post bro. It's probably spot on in all actuality. In her defense though women do get the run around at the dealer/repair shops, HARD as I've seen it first hand. My wife takes her 4Runner in and the issue is a mole hill and $2500 to fix. I take it back and suddenly its shrunken to a 3 hour $500 job. It probably helps being a 6'2" 260lb body builder but hey, I take what I can get in the way of bill reductions at the stealership! But you're right Smoke; OP should have taken her Ex to the dealer right away if she knew about the problem at the first onset of the issue, IF, she did in fact have a prior issue before her posted incident. All manufacturer's have issues for sure. Toyota comes to mind. Wasn't it the Prius that had run away accelerators? GM trucks with their exploding fuel tanks upon side impacts; a Japanese brand, can't remember which, but they were having automatic exploding air bag issues I believe as of recent. It happens to everyone one time or another. Anyways, OP, I really sympathize with you and especially with you having small children as I have a weak spot for children. My 4 year old daughter can melt me into putty in her hands with just a look.

OP, take your Ex to the dealer ASAP and get this resolved for you and your children!!!

I'm not going to give you any beefs with your post bro. It's probably spot on in all actuality. In her defense though women do get the run around at the dealer/repair shops, HARD as I've seen it first hand. My wife takes her 4Runner in and the issue is a mole hill and $2500 to fix. I take it back and suddenly its shrunken to a 3 hour $500 job. It probably helps being a 6'2" 260lb body builder but hey, I take what I can get in the way of bill reductions at the stealership! But you're right Smoke; OP should have taken her Ex to the dealer right away if she knew about the problem at the first onset of the issue, IF, she did in fact have a prior issue before her posted incident.

I can agree with you in this regard as well as I deal with all my repairs on all our vehicles and let my wife drive the other one. Not to go off topic but I remember one time when I was negotiating on a vehicle a young lady (early 20s) sat down with a salesman next to us and heard her say "I really don't know what I'm doing, I never bought a car before". OMG, I wanted to get up and walk over and help her out as I knew she was going to get taken. Back on topic..

But we are also talking about a 2014 Explorer that is under warranty. If the warnings went off, it should set codes (we know every once and a while they don't save, especially with the whole shut off/restart with warning gone) and repairs would be covered. Regardless of sex, if under warranty, one technically shouldn't have to worry about being taken monetary wise which under this example, kind of kills your point.

But I do understand where you were going with this.

Smoke, I agree with everything you said above! But I have heard of dealers picking and choosing what they want to cover under "Bumper to Bumper" warranties and what they deny under said warranty too... That's why I gave the incident of what happened to my wife and the totally different situation from when I took her 4 Runner in. But in all honesty I've never owned a new Ford before now under warranty. They could be the best in the business at warrantying everything for all I know. I just hope I never have to find out, hahahaha!

If you were in my shoes, you will understand why I make this statement. I will definitely edit my post if all of this got resolved.

Update for my car,

They will be towed to a ford dealer to be diagnosed. It will take a week for them to do it because they are very busy and I will not have a car for a few weeks.

I felt no big deal and kept driving it because the first time error messages come I was still able to drive the car. But now, I can not even drive it safely. The wheel doesn't turn. I have gone through posts in this forum and didn't see the two error messages will lockup the wheel. It's different than what you are thinking. I made the statement about hoping getting more reliable brand is based on the fact that this 1.5 yr old, 11000 miles explorer stops working. And I have to say I am fortunate enough that my family was OK as all the incidents happened in a parking lot not a highway. I can foresee more serious outcomes with this problem. I post here to warn people and make people aware of this. Reliable or not, that's just my statement right now. I hope the Ford dealer can make it right.

HOWEVER...

Update about my car

Just give updates here:

My dealer was able to diagnose my explorer. I got call from them telling me there was issues to power steering rack, and they have order the part will replace it once it comes in. A power steering rack is some part that should last lifetime right? I hope this will fix the lockup issues with my wheel/steering. But I am kinda worried if replacing new ones will fix the serious issues forever because I am guessing they are just replacing a new one but an identical design as the bad one. Anyway, I still have to thumbs up to my dealer, they took actions faster than I thought. I probably also have to thank ford rep who escalated my case to regional manager.

Will update here once I got my car back.

Well.... having been there, I can tell that they are probably not going to change the whole steering rack.... In reality the rack and pinion assembly is really a very basic design... the power steering unit is under the dash, in reality it's an electric motor that gives power assist with a ECU all in a single module!!! Here in Canada, the whole parts en labor installation comes to jsut about 2500 tax included... it will be back as new!! there is actually a TSB out for this!!

Give you guys a update (Terrible!)

OK, I did get my car back about a month ago, everything looks fine, my ford dealer told me they changed the steering rack and when I got my car back, worked perfectly!

A month later, which is today. I was driving on a highway, all of sudden, steering wheel shakes for a second and comes the error messages, Terrain/advanced trac failure. Terrible thing is I can't turn!!!, I managed to slow down and pull over my car on the right lane of a highway, not too bad, no one rear-ends me! Thank god me and my two kids are all safe. I turn off the engine and cycled the key for 30 times to get it back (I know it will work but just matter of time). I went straight home after this. Thank god again we are safe home!

In my parking lot, I tried turn steering wheel all the way to right, it locks the wheel and gives the error messages!

I don't know what to say. Much frustration here, dealer changed the whole steering rack and again? I just can't say I trust ford anymore.

OK, I did get my car back about a month ago, everything looks fine, my ford dealer told me they changed the steering rack and when I got my car back, worked perfectly!

A month later, which is today. I was driving on a highway, all of sudden, steering wheel shakes for a second and comes the error messages, Terrain/advanced trac failure. Terrible thing is I can't turn!!!, I managed to slow down and pull over my car on the right lane of a highway, not too bad, no one rear-ends me! Thank god me and my two kids are all safe. I turn off the engine and cycled the key for 30 times to get it back (I know it will work but just matter of time). I went straight home after this. Thank god again we are safe home!

In my parking lot, I tried turn steering wheel all the way to right, it locks the wheel and gives the error messages!

I don't know what to say. Much frustration here, dealer changed the whole steering rack and again? I just can't say I trust ford anymore.

I have not read of this as a common problem to this extent - where your wheel locks on the highway, but maybe I missed it.

Regardless, what you have described happening even after it being "fixed", I'd be trading that Ex in ASAP - and especially with two kids in the vehicle. Too dangerous and I could not trust it. Whether you trade for another Ford or another make is your call, but his vehicle seems to have a dangerous problem.

Might also want to run this by a Regional Customer Service Manager through the CSM's on here. I'd want to trade this in, but I would not want to lose money on the deal. From what you describe, just too dangerous sounding. Serious accident waiting to happen.

No, it's not common at all especially for a new car with only 12000 miles.

If I trade in now, I will definitely be robbed by the dealer. I have to get it fixed first.

What I find out recently is if this same problem happens the third time, and my car is still under a certain miles, then I can go through the lemon law to get a replacement or a buyback from the dealer. But it's not gonna be easy to do so. Just hope they can fix it correctly.

I have not read of this as a common problem to this extent - where your wheel locks on the highway, but maybe I missed it.

Regardless, what you have described happening even after it being "fixed", I'd be trading that Ex in ASAP - and especially with two kids in the vehicle. Too dangerous and I could not trust it. Whether you trade for another Ford or another make is your call, but his vehicle seems to have a dangerous problem.

Might also want to run this by a Regional Customer Service Manager through the CSM's on here. I'd want to trade this in, but I would not want to lose money on the deal. From what you describe, just too dangerous sounding. Serious accident waiting to happen.

Thanks for responding to it.

I may be unlucky with the car. It just happened the second time with only 12000 miles on it. I imagine power steering shouldn't be a complicated design to handle.

Anyway, I do have my csm working on my case however it was no help. What I need is just a rental car which is fair I think. With this relative new explorer giving me troubles, I do wish I deserve a rental car during the service. However, the truth is I get nothing until now.

I would say the Moderator of Ford in this website is great, they do the job quickly however CSM and dealers are not really helping me out.

Again, if it happens the third time, I have to get lemon law to protect my investment on this new explorer!

Thanks for responding to it.

I may be unlucky with the car. It just happened the second time with only 12000 miles on it. I imagine power steering shouldn't be a complicated design to handle.

Anyway, I do have my csm working on my case however it was no help. What I need is just a rental car which is fair I think. With this relative new explorer giving me troubles, I do wish I deserve a rental car during the service. However, the truth is I get nothing until now.

I would say the Moderator of Ford in this website is great, they do the job quickly however CSM and dealers are not really helping me out.

Again, if it happens the third time, I have to get lemon law to protect my investment on this new explorer!

I have yet to see a single person have to have it replaced a 3rd time. But I agree, lemon law it if you can if it happens a 3rd time.

In regards to a rental, Ford does not owe us loaners. If you had bought the esp, it is included as a perk. You don't get a rental TV if yours breaks, you don't get a loaner lawnmower if it breaks under warranty. Same goes for vehicles (obviously a much larger purchase) in regards to having your vehicle repaired.

That is one of the biggest reasons I buy them because of the rental perk. Drop off and leave in a car.. heck when I had my F250 repaired, I had a rental for over 3 weeks.. That was $1,000 in rental costs all covered.

Back