Scheduling an appointment for a recall | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Scheduling an appointment for a recall

Forddealz

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I called Dana Ford, one of the biggest Ford dealerships in the East and I was trying to schedule an appointment for a rear camera recall and exhaust rattle. They told me that my appointment will be in 2 month. Has anyone else experienced these long wait times? Maybe the pandemic has hit the dealership or something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I called Dana Ford, one of the biggest Ford dealerships in the East and I was trying to schedule an appointment for a rear camera recall and exhaust rattle. They told me that my appointment will be in 2 month. Has anyone else experienced these long wait times? Maybe the pandemic has hit the dealership or something.
Douglas Hansen is the general manager at that location drive by or give him a call I’m sure he may be able to assist you. (718) 303-2637

My dealer usually gets me an appointment within a day or two, but then it is located in a small town as I am. That's a great advantage over a larger dealership.

Peter

Ive got 3 "bigger" Ford dealers near me (all within 20 miles) and they are all at least a month out right now.

I own my own 3 bay shop and I'm 3 weeks out. I do a ton of commercial work this time of year though. I've got a customer I ordered a transmission before Halloween for and I'm still waiting on it. I know another buddy ordered a v10 for his tow truck in September and is still waiting as well. Parts are getting hard to get and alot of prices are going up. Brake rotor prices are climbing quickly.

I called my dealer over a month ago to schedule the camera visit. Not even a peep since.

Guess I'm lucky here. Took less than a week to get in for the camera recall after I called them.

I'm booked into February at the dealership I work at.

Could also be lack of replacement cameras/parts, must be in shorter supply during a recall and could be sitting on a container ship waiting to dock & unload.

Ive got 3 "bigger" Ford dealers near me (all within 20 miles) and they are all at least a month out right now.

I own my own 3 bay shop and I'm 3 weeks out. I do a ton of commercial work this time of year though. I've got a customer I ordered a transmission before Halloween for and I'm still waiting on it. I know another buddy ordered a v10 for his tow truck in September and is still waiting as well. Parts are getting hard to get and alot of prices are going up. Brake rotor prices are climbing quickly.
where do you get your trannies?? I may have a shortcut for you - these guys are great

Don't know about other members, but I've been waiting over 18 months for a driver side air bag recall on my wife's Lincoln MKx. Yeah, the one that blows your head off when it deploys. I realize this recall involves a LOT of vehicles, but come on, this isn't a rattle or a trim piece falling off... it's deadly. Probably the last FoMoCo product I buy.

........................................................ Probably the last FoMoCo product I buy.
Are you sure that the issue is with Ford? It has likely more to do with the Takata airbag recall numbers. There are at least 67 million in the US and another 5 million in Canada that are part of the recall. The blame here is probably with the manufacturer being unable to supply the item quickly enough.

Peter

Don't know about other members, but I've been waiting over 18 months for a driver side air bag recall on my wife's Lincoln MKx. Yeah, the one that blows your head off when it deploys. I realize this recall involves a LOT of vehicles, but come on, this isn't a rattle or a trim piece falling off... it's deadly. Probably the last FoMoCo product I buy.
I've never heard of that long of a wait for an air bag recall!! If you want to PM me your vin# I'll check it out for you at work Monday and see if the air bags are available or what the holdup is on them.

Are you sure that the issue is with Ford? It has likely more to do with the Takata airbag recall numbers. There are at least 67 million in the US and another 5 million in Canada that are part of the recall. The blame here is probably with the manufacturer being unable to supply the item quickly enough.

Peter
I would have to agree with you on both the numbers and the inability of Takata to supply the replacements. However, ultimately, the onus is on FoMoCo to take care of their customers. That being said, I'm not sure I would ever trust a Takata air bag after this debacle.

On another note, I drive a 2003 Ranger EDGE that I have performed a plethora of modifications to, one being a 2004 leather-wrapped steering wheel. It falls under the recall (I have the VIN from the donor vehicle) but Ford (or the dealer) won't honor it because the wheel isn't in the original vehicle, even though I have the VIN and they can verify that it falls under the recall and shows the replacement NOT being performed.

I've never heard of that long of a wait for an air bag recall!! If you want to PM me your vin# I'll check it out for you at work Monday and see if the air bags are available or what the holdup is on them.
I pulled the VIN on wifey's MKx and for kicks I went to the Lincoln recall site. According to that, this particular recall was issued March 25, 2021 (shows as incomplete). Either that date is incorrect or I am confusing it for the passenger air bag recall that has already been performed, so My Bad for maybe *****ing prematurely (but 9 months is still a long time). I sincerely appreciate your offer of help on this! Although I belong to 8 or so Ranger and Explorer forums, for whatever reason, I cannot figure out how to PM a member here. :confused2:

I pulled the VIN on wifey's MKx and for kicks I went to the Lincoln recall site. According to that, this particular recall was issued March 25, 2021 (shows as incomplete). Either that date is incorrect or I am confusing it for the passenger air bag recall that has already been performed, so My Bad for maybe *****ing prematurely (but 9 months is still a long time). I sincerely appreciate your offer of help on this! Although I belong to 8 or so Ranger and Explorer forums, for whatever reason, I cannot figure out how to PM a member here. :confused2:
just click on the members logo and start conversation should pop up. Click on that and your good to go.

just click on the members logo and start conversation should pop up. Click on that and your good to go.
Thanks! I saw that, but on every other forum, it is called Private Message or something similar. Need to put on my thinking cap!

I would have to agree with you on both the numbers and the inability of Takata to supply the replacements. However, ultimately, the onus is on FoMoCo to take care of their customers. That being said, I'm not sure I would ever trust a Takata air bag after this debacle.

On another note, I drive a 2003 Ranger EDGE that I have performed a plethora of modifications to, one being a 2004 leather-wrapped steering wheel. It falls under the recall (I have the VIN from the donor vehicle) but Ford (or the dealer) won't honor it because the wheel isn't in the original vehicle, even though I have the VIN and they can verify that it falls under the recall and shows the replacement NOT being performed.
That issue with your Ranger is 100% a Ford issue they are very strict on the vin's and the ID of the airbags so if there's any discrepancy on the paperwork it's on the dealership and they'll have to foot the bill. There's also the whole lawyer/lawsuit issue because it's a "modified" vehicle.

That issue with your Ranger is 100% a Ford issue they are very strict on the vin's and the ID of the airbags so if there's any discrepancy on the paperwork it's on the dealership and they'll have to foot the bill. There's also the whole lawyer/lawsuit issue because it's a "modified" vehicle.
Yes, dealerships (at least around here) steer WAY clear of any modified vehicles. I actually offered to pay for the parts and labor to update the air bag, but they wouldn't budge. I've considered disabling the driver air bag but not sure that is possible. I use FORScan for a lot of things, but I haven't looked to see if there is any access to air bag stuff. Since I don't like warning lights, I would have to come up with something to get around just disconnecting the air bag.

I was just on the Ford Owners website and while there I browsed the FAQ's on the air bag recall. Ford states that they have the parts available for all model lines for the repair. It may be worth checking with a different dealer about you MKX if you have one nearby.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks! I saw that, but on every other forum, it is called Private Message or something similar. Need to put on my thinking cap!
It used to be that way until the forum's software was updated a few years ago. ;)
It is also referred to as Start Conversation on the Lincoln forum.

Peter

Back