School me on 95-01 Explorer Transfer cases | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

School me on 95-01 Explorer Transfer cases

Riceman

Reaction score
City, State
Ellijay, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ranger FX4
Having a lowered 4x4 Ranger, I am finding the four wheel drive aspect of my 4x4 rather useless. I am familiar with Ranger/Sport Trac 2wd, 4hi, 4lo transfer case. I use 4lo occasionally for some extra grunt, but haven't used 4hi in months. I am looking for a way to get "AWD"... A way to utilize 4x4 ON road. I know the only way to get actual AWD would be a 5.0 swap, but not willing to go that far (yet). And so I arrive at the point of this thread...

Control Trac

What is 4WD AUTO?

The owners manual for a 96 Explorer described it as full power the rear wheels, and transferable power to the fronts as needed. What the manual didn't cover was...

Can you use 4WD AUTO on road, or do the front wheels bind when under power and turning (like 4hi)?

Control Trac uses a different transfer case than my 4WD I'm sure.

Is my 4WD control module different from a Control Trac Explorer?

Hopefully no electronics beyond the 4WD control module are different.

I feel like Rangers are the unwanted child that never gets any toys. Rangers came first, and the Explorer was built on the Ranger platform... but the Explorer had leather seats, AWD, a V8, an overhead console, and four wheel disc brakes while from that list, the Ranger only got (recently) leather (trimmed) seats.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The automatic 4wd is meant for street use, it transfers power to the front wheels whenever it detects the rear wheels slipping. As far as what electronics need to be swapped with it I couldn't tell you, but someone who can will probably be along shortly.

The automatic 4wd is meant for street use, it transfers power to the front wheels whenever it detects the rear wheels slipping. As far as what electronics need to be swapped with it I couldn't tell you, but someone who can will probably be along shortly.

Urgh... I just realized that to detect rear wheels slipping would mean front and rear speed sensors, so there will be some electrical work.

... I feel like Rangers are the unwanted child that never gets any toys. Rangers came first, and the Explorer was built on the Ranger platform... but the Explorer had leather seats, AWD, a V8, an overhead console, and four wheel disc brakes while from that list, the Ranger only got (recently) leather (trimmed) seats.

The ranger is your Ford entry level light pickup. The Explorer was meant for a niche market and would be better compared to the F-150 in regards to trim packages. Original MSRP for a 98 explorer xlt 5.0 was $28,815. The 98 Rangler was $15k-19k top end. While a 98 F150 lariat ran $24k.
It was mostly the target audience, if you wanted the refined ammenities you went with the F150, plus the F150 was the #1 selling truck, it's only smart business to not hurt your own sales with a cheaper product.

Bump... still interested in what it will take to make it work.

Bump- Perhaps a better title would be "Control Trac in a Ranger"?

Bump.

Adding in the Control Trac would be next to impossible without a full-on swap of all the electronic components and wiring from a donor truck.... Not fun at all. It would be a nightmare.

All wheel drive, on the other hand, might be do-able. I'm not sure what it would take to mate up a 44-04 All wheel drive case from a V-8 Explorer to the back of your trans, but that's where I'd start. It's all mechanical, so no wiring to worry about on the donor end. The only concern would be your truck's electronics NOT seeing the shift motor etc. for the transfer case.... Not insurmountable, but not going to be simple either.

Adding in the Control Trac would be next to impossible without a full-on swap of all the electronic components and wiring from a donor truck.... Not fun at all. It would be a nightmare.All wheel drive, on the other hand, might be do-able. I'm not sure what it would take to mate up a 44-04 All wheel drive case from a V-8 Explorer to the back of your trans, but that's where I'd start. It's all mechanical, so no wiring to worry about on the donor end. The only concern would be your truck's electronics NOT seeing the shift motor etc. for the transfer case.... Not insurmountable, but not going to be simple either.

The shift motor delete wouldn't be a problem, would be the same as those switching to a manual t-case? Even if that's not the same issue, switching to a PCM from a 04 2wd 4.0 Ranger would do the trick. But I'm not too sure I want AWD on a 4.0. I get 20 MPG now. AWD is going to bring that down some, and lose a little power. While the 4.0 by no means lacks power, I surely don't want to steal more from it.

I've been searching Craigslist for a cheap running 5.0 Expo (wreck, rollover). As long as the tranny and transfer case are good, I'd take it. I'd probably want to rebuild the motor anyway.

Actually, I just found a rolled Explorer on Craigslist for $850. Running 5.0 and good trans. No mention of the transfer case... I sent an email, but its probably 2wd.

The shift motor delete wouldn't be a problem, would be the same as those switching to a manual t-case? Even if that's not the same issue, switching to a PCM from a 04 2wd 4.0 Ranger would do the trick. But I'm not too sure I want AWD on a 4.0. I get 20 MPG now. AWD is going to bring that down some, and lose a little power. While the 4.0 by no means lacks power, I surely don't want to steal more from it.

On the contrary, AWD shouldn't make a noticable difference in the fuel economy. You already have a live front axle (i.e. it's fully engaged and spinning all the time) so it shouldn't affect fuel economy in the slightest.

I'm not sure what it would take to adapt the AWD case to your trans though... I don't know of anyone that's made that particular swap before... The guys at Advanced Adapters should be able to fab something if you ended up needing it.

I hadn't thought about the 2WD controls (GEM, PCM, et. al.), but yes, that might work. I'm not current on my Ranger electronics knowledge for anything beyond 2000 or so.

On the contrary, AWD shouldn't make a noticable difference in the fuel economy. You already have a live front axle (i.e. it's fully engaged and spinning all the time) so it shouldn't affect fuel economy in the slightest.

I'm not sure what it would take to adapt the AWD case to your trans though... I don't know of anyone that's made that particular swap before... The guys at Advanced Adapters should be able to fab something if you ended up needing it.

I hadn't thought about the 2WD controls (GEM, PCM, et. al.), but yes, that might work. I'm not current on my Ranger electronics knowledge for anything beyond 2000 or so.

I had completely forgotten I already have the drag of the front drivetrain... I have never heard of anyone putting AWD in a V-6, as far I know it would be a first. I had been looking for some sort of conversion, or how to for it, but came up empty. I think most people realized, as I am starting to, that you can only go so far with a V-6.

Back