• Register Today It's free!

School me on brakes, please

not turbo

Reaction score
City, State
Everett WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 Bronco 2
My 87 B2 (2.9, auto, 4x4) has had some problems recently....about 3 months ago it started running oddly.

When it starts up, it's ok. After 15-20 minutes it starts shuddering (especially over 35 mph) to the point of loss of control. The faster you go, the more the shuddering.

This goes on for awhile, but if you insist on driving it, it tends to stop after about an hour...but while it's going through the shuddering phase, if you let up on the gas, the truck quickly slows to a stop, as if the brakes are on.

I had noticed this, but since there was no pulling to one side, I figured it might be related to the engine shuddering symptom. (The shuddering happens even if the tranny is in neutral)

Well, tonight I drove for a bit, and when I got home I noticed thick smoke coming from the engine area. Although there was some fresh oil on the exhaust manifolds (valve cover gasket leakage), the smoke was coming from the drivers' front brake....very strong smoke source. Obviously the front brakes are dragging.

When I do a search for "master brake cylinder" I see the part where you put the fluid, but not the large black drum w/vacuum hose....so I need to know how the brakes use vacuum, and any other bits of info.

Thanks in advance, I'd like to keep my Bronco...but gotta be able to drive it, right? ;)

check the calipers, make sure one isnt froze open, you have a visable gap when the brake inst applied, put it up on stands drop the wheels and have someone stop the peddle and watch if the pads move...

also may not be brakes, u may have a hot hub that will cuz you u to slow down as well as if the brakes are applied, also depending on how far gone the hub is

imho .. i would do a complete brake job just to be safe (make sure u check your rear wheel cylinders and if they show signs of leaking replacing them (like 20 bucks at autozone); i waited on my and to romp on my breaks and had none cause they finally went out), also while your there... check the inside of your hubs see if u can see any metal flake or maybe a broke spring....

also check your U Joints, maybe cause, ive seen them so bad on F150's that anything over 20mph it was like driving on a uneven gravel road shaking all over the place.......

also if you want to replace your Master Cylinder and Filler, try Summit Racing or BroncoGraveyard..

only other i can think of is your tuck isnt actually shifting into Drive, rather then L1 or L2 .. that would also cause the sudden decelleration with the drag on the tranny (and the smoke your seeing wouldnt be from brake it would be from the heated A4LD from the high rpms against the low gears.)

good luck

Check to see if the Rotor is warped. that can cause the brakes to drag or look like they are draging when they are not. But in any case I would have the rotor checked for warping and replace the brakes.And make sure the caliper did not freeze up.

Back