School me on Dana 35 Inner C clip.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

School me on Dana 35 Inner C clip..

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
So I think on my dad's '91 he poped the passenger inner shaft out, without removing the c-clip. :( Now I heard you can eliminate it the c-clip with a spring at the slip yolk. However, are we going to have to pull everything apart because the c-clip is rollong around in there? :( Or will it just fall to the bottom, and not worry about it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Something broke. There is a cross shaft that holds the passenger shaft against the clip. Pull it apart to see what is going on.

agreed. most likely the c clip just broke. good luck :)

My question is will the c-clip fall to the bottom of the pumpkin? Don't want to pull the front end apart, if I don't have to. It's knot like we're just pulling a cover:rolleyes:

...Subscribing...:popcorn:

...:scratch:...I thought I had a schematic for that somewhere...

i would get it out. that could really mess up the ring and pinion.

You'll want to get the C-clip out if you don't want it messing up the gears.

You might consider siphoning the gear oil out and fishing around in the diff through the fill hole and/or shaft holes with various magnetic pick-up tools. If you're lucky, you'll snag the whole C-clip if it popped off, or both pieces if it just broke. You could even pop off the pivot bolt, radius arm bushing, and coil spring mount and angle the TTB different ways so the clip or pieces of it slide to where the magnet can reach them.

FIXED! E-clip found and retrieved. Clip elminator mod in progress.

telescoping magnet through the fill plug hole

I was told it was whole

telescoping magnet through the fill plug hole

:thumbsup: Cool!! I just wanted to see if that idea worked! Now if I ever lose my c-clip...... >< (and I will ya know, if I ever work on that part....Murphy's law lives at my house)

FIXED! Clip elminator mod in progress.

This is an official pic request of how you do the mod. There is the intern and the external methods..

Also requesting the model # and type of spring you end up using..

~Mark

This is an official pic request of how you do the mod. There is the intern and the external methods..

~Mark

I just talk to my dad, he's currently combing the hardware store for a common spring. I think we may be leaning to a spring you find on a non kink garden hose.;) Size may be to small though.

kink-free-actual.gif

Someone on the BII forum (or was it FireZapper) that used a seat spring from a Craftsman lawn tractor.:thumbsup:

Pretty awesome way of getting the C-clip off for the mod, without tearing apart the front end and popping off the pumpkin.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

~Mark

If you are talking about internal and external on the slip yoke the I'd say go with the method Ted showed. I had the internal spring on my stub shaft and it popped the end of the stub shaft off (by the u-joint). I had to weld it back on but the real downfall is that you are reducing the amount of slip available inside the slip yoke.

Back