School Me On Tire Pressure Sensors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

School Me On Tire Pressure Sensors

UnorthodoxCreat

Reaction score
City, State
outside Hanover, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V6, 06 Limited V8
My Explorer is my first vehicle with tire pressure sensors. I'm looking to install aftermarket wheels and would probably sell my OEM wheels. Do newer Explorers or Edges have the same sensors? If I buy wheels that have the correct style sensor do they need programmed to my car in some way? I'm thinking my OEM wheels will be easier to sell if I keep the sensor in them. They have great tires that would be good for another Explorer owner. If I sell my sensors with my my OEM wheels where is the best place to get sensors for my new wheels should I need them? I see all kinds of options at Autozone. Hard to tell if any of them are any good or I need to buy a Ford part.

Band sensors suck. thats what comes with OEM. For about 1/3 the price you can get a set of orange electronics stem style at 315 mhz that can be used with the older ford system. For a few bucks more shrader makes a stem style at the same frequency that will work. Programmers can be had for 25 bucks as well. I put a set of orange electronics in my boss summer wheels and bought a programmer so I can do the seasonal change myself. My OEM rims are used as my winter wheels now.

Back