Scope's Audio Build Thread

interscope8

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Purdue University
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4x4
Alright, I just pulled another all nighter doing homework and am ending it at 5:45 am with this thread! In between relentless homework assignments and exam prep, I have been cruising around looking for components to my audio system. I thought that I should start a build thread for it because I know how many dreaded Sub Enclosure questions we get in this part of the forum. So here goes...

CURRENT SETUP

Right now I'm on a pretty limited budget set up. I spent right around $350 for everything. It doesn't sound terrible, and I'm sure one could do better with more patience than I.

I started with getting my Head Unit from crutchfield.

I bought a CZ500 for $80 shipped to my door, it was 60% off at the time and they no longer carry it, here is a newer model almost equivalent:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CZ401/Clarion-CZ401.html?tp=5684&nvpair=FFBrand|Clarion#overview-tab

I strongly recommend getting the Head Unit from Crutchfield, they give you all your mounting hardware needed for it. Mine came with the adapter for the speakers and subwoofer as well as the mounting hardware.

Only difference from what I can tell is mine has built in Bluetooth.
DSC06078.jpg

After purchasing this a sale over at sonic popped up and I got my speakers and amp for $220 shipped.

I got a Hifonics 4 channel 440 watt amp and 4 Hifonics 6x8 speakers.
DSC06072.jpg

DSC06070.jpg

And finally I picked up the under-seat box from ebay that everyone knows about.
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Explor...ultDomain_0&hash=item53e6284d8a#ht_854wt_1037
DSC06073.jpg

And I picked up my sub from a buddy for $40:
DSC06074.jpg

Its an MTX 550 Thunder. It had a sister sub and it was sold to another friend who has it ghetto rigged into his Ranger.

I wired it up using a 4 gauge wiring kit from autozone, I actually got it for free using the points I had on my card :D

Analysis

Today it all sounds great, however, the sub was used and abused... its starting to rattle pretty bad. Another flaw is that I used 2 channels of my amp for my rear speakers and 1 for my sub, my front speakers aren't powered from my amp. You can't tell much of a difference, I unplugged my sub for a drive and could notice one when bass hits, my rears would put out more of a thump than the fronts...

All this being said, I figured it was time to upgrade.

Next Setup

I decided 1 wasn't enough and am getting the behind the seat 2 10's box.
Link: https://www.soundoffaudio.com/item.cfm/id/2428

I am going to blow up my current sub with my .223 and some tannerite and put in 2 Pioneers I found the other night.
Link: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11097_Pioneer-Shallow-Mount-TS-SW251.html

These are shallow mounts and I figured 2 shallow mounts would sound marginally better than 2 standards and a helluva lot better than what I have now. That and these are dirt cheap for peaking at 800 watts.

Im going to run power to my front speakers with my current amp and want to power the 2 new subs with this.
Link: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27288_RE-Audio-XT-1600.2V3.html

I have a friend with 2 20's in his old firebird and an RE amp powers them both and it seems to work ok. I usually don't buy into these lesser known names when it has anything to do with my trac but RE seems to be legit. This is also pretty cheap. With both subs hooked up I could run the RMS for the subs at 4 ohms or 400 watts at 2 ohms and not risk blowing anything up. Seemed like a good safe fit.

I plan to run 2 Gauge power wire for the RE amp and will be mounting both amps under my rear seats unless another spot pops up during installation.

Idk if it's because I'm super tired, bored, or trying to be helpful (or maybe a mixture), but I figured this thread would help out others who are planning or wanting to upgrade their audio system.

As I knock this stuff out I will add pics and How-To's.

If you have questions post up, my inbox is almost full so if u PM me let me know on here too! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep up the good work man. I'd use the 4 channel for just the door speakers, one each. I'm looking for a good amp for my door speakers.

Be sure to take good pictures of the new box installed. I've been looking at this one for a long time but can't tell from the pictures if it blocks the carseat hook behind the seat.

Will do. And thats my plan, when i finish the rest of this homework I'll edit the OP for clarity. Im buying that RE amp for the 2 subs and using my current amp for the speakers

They sell a box with two 10's for under the seat. search ebay and do a google search for them.

You won't be disappointed with the Pioneer shallow mounts. I have one 12'' underneath the back seat and I love it. Really can't even tell that it's a shallow mount. I've had people guess that its 2 10''s back there. Great thread also, I've been sitting on the idea of re-doing my door speakers and everything. Get lots of pictures when everything is installed!

With a 12" shallow sub under the seat can you still fold the rear seat down?
Is there enough realestat behind the seat to do a shallow 12"?

There's plenty of room for shallow mounts subs under or behind the seats. Depending on the depth of the sub you can fit a twelve inch standard sub under or behind the seats.

I have a 12" thats about 3 1/4" deep so I'm good there, I don't know If I should go under or behind. I'm not willing to sacrafice the folding seat for a sub. It's so much easier to haul the dogs with the seat folded down.

I'd build one for behind the seat. What12" sub do you have that's only 3 1/4" deep?

You're going behind the seat with those, right? Anyone tried or seen an underseat setup? or is that not possible for 2 subs?

Yes I'm going behind the rear seat, I'm sure it's possible to put 2 subs under the seat, I just feel like that'd be a whole lot of work trying to make a box fit under the seats with all the struts and things in the way.

You won't be disappointed with the Pioneer shallow mounts. I have one 12'' underneath the back seat and I love it. Really can't even tell that it's a shallow mount. I've had people guess that its 2 10''s back there. Great thread also, I've been sitting on the idea of re-doing my door speakers and everything. Get lots of pictures when everything is installed!

Ya Im pumped, Im ordering the subs and amp soon-ish (gotta pay rent). They have a low RMS and a really high peak rating so running them at 400 watts each should give it a super punchy sound and be safe on them too!

Do you still have stock speakers!?

With a 12" shallow sub under the seat can you still fold the rear seat down?
Is there enough realestat behind the seat to do a shallow 12"?

If you put any sort of enclosure under the seat you lose the ability to fold it down. With my single 10 inch enclosure I have just enough space to fold the seat forward about 2 inches to get my ice scrapper out from behind my seat. Just something to consider with under seat enclosures...

I don't store anything behind my seat besides my bottle jack, jumper cables, and my ice scrapper in the winter time. I just got a stanley plastic tool box and bolted it in the bed though so I've moved everything to that.

I'd build one for behind the seat. What12" sub do you have that's only 3 1/4" deep?

Sub is made by pioneer, I can't remember the model # but I have it written down at work. when we start the box, hopefully soon I'll try to take some pics as we go along.

If you put any sort of enclosure under the seat you lose the ability to fold it down. With my single 10 inch enclosure I have just enough space to fold the seat forward about 2 inches to get my ice scrapper out from behind my seat. Just something to consider with under seat enclosures...

Thanks for the answer, I didn't think you could go under and still fold the seat down. My days of screw the space and make this thing loud have gone away. Now I am more focused on the funcionality of my truck and would love a well rounded setup.

Thanks for the answer, I didn't think you could go under and still fold the seat down. My days of screw the space and make this thing loud have gone away. Now I am more focused on the funcionality of my truck and would love a well rounded setup.

I could never have subs under my seats or behind them. My seats are folded down 95% of the time as the rear passengers are my dogs more than other people. The rear cargo space is filled with tools, recovery straps, first aid kit, change of clothes, etc....there's no more room, lol. I would love better sound, but it's adequate for now. I have some 6x9s in my Cougar that I've considered removing and swapping but it's just not that important to me.

Gonna follow this thread, though. I like to see audio builds. Especially the most boom for your buck kinds.

I could never have subs under my seats or behind them. My seats are folded down 95% of the time as the rear passengers are my dogs more than other people. The rear cargo space is filled with tools, recovery straps, first aid kit, change of clothes, etc....there's no more room, lol. I would love better sound, but it's adequate for now. I have some 6x9s in my Cougar that I've considered removing and swapping but it's just not that important to me.

Gonna follow this thread, though. I like to see audio builds. Especially the most boom for your buck kinds.

Thats kinda my goal :) not just boom though... quality is important to me too. I'm one of those kids that listens to dubstep a ton so all the notes are important to me. I rode in my buddy's firebird the other day and he has 2 huge subs in the back and every piece of his setup is a brand Ive never heard of... the bass sounded good but I doubt it'll last long... usually the cheaper subs wear out a lot quicker...

If you want to get better quality sound for next to nothing pick up some Hifonics speakers! I absolutely love mine, and my rear ones which are powered actually have some punch to them. :) just a thought. Anything will beat the stock paper cone ones.

UPDATE

I pulled some strings with the owner of a custom glass business place in town, apparently him and my dad go way back. When I get my box he is going to put a window in it for me and seal it up! Then I have a neat little toy to stick onto the window :D its a secret right now and you guys should see it when my build is done!

Box will be ordered by the end of next month, I'm going to FL for the National College Paintball Tourney in April so money will be tight, but I should be able to get my subs ordered after that too! which means the amp will probably be ordered in may (or i can try to get those for my birthday :D ) haha.

Thats kinda my goal :) not just boom though... quality is important to me too. I'm one of those kids that listens to dubstep a ton so all the notes are important to me. I rode in my buddy's firebird the other day and he has 2 huge subs in the back and every piece of his setup is a brand Ive never heard of... the bass sounded good but I doubt it'll last long... usually the cheaper subs wear out a lot quicker...

I used to just go for the most bass. I had a ranger with 4 12"s in it and all factory door speakes in it about 10 years ago. My next project a lowered fullsize had 1 10" and all speakers replaced and powered, it was one of the best sounding systems I ever had.
The Sport Trac will get a 12" because a buddy has it laying around, I have an Alpine head unit in the truck already and I have a pair of alpine V-12 amps sitting in the garage. All I need now are the door speakers and build everything.

I mistyped when I said "most boom." I actually hate too much bass. I don't listen to the hip hops in my old age.

Old age, lol. How old are you Hugh?

Country actually has the best best lines for competition events. "Thunder Rolls" by Garth Brooks held the number one bass (db) level four years in a row back in the nineties.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back