Scope's Audio Build Thread | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Scope's Audio Build Thread

This might be a good idea for ya, if not for the amps then to take out the hard palstic on the seat back to alow more room and give more outward airflow for the front onf the subs. I plan on doing the this when I do the behind the seat enclosure, right now I have the under seat single ten inch enclosure with a MTX sub and 450 with amp on a custom amp rack behind the right rear seat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no plastic behind the seat... unless there's some inside the seat i didnt know about...

Hmmmm... Maybe... tomorrow I'm getting out the dremel and going to see if taking a couple tabs out will help the fitment of it... I was hoping this would all be easier than it has been...

Yea, I made a box for behind the seat for two tens and I had the same problem. I'm gonna notch out some of that plastic or completely remove it to allow more air flow.

I'm still unpacking and trying to get settled here at home, but will try and hit this tonight!

Also going to be removing my side cladding to get ready to re-paint it :D

BUMP

New subs, amp, and wires will be here in 3 days! Pretty stoked. Going to be mounting the new amp in the seat back like Rebel said. So tonight or tomorrow my rear seat will be coming out so I can make a template for the rack to be cut!

My speakers are starting to get... "tired" because they've been providing my bass since my old MTX took a ****. So Im hoping when I can flip the speaker-amp switch back to mids instead of full that they will sound a bit more lively... otherwise new speakers are in my future as well.

My old sub is going to get blown up with Tannerite... I'll be sure to post that video :)

HELP!!! In the middle of installing my 2nd amp in the seat back. Do I need to run another remote start line from the head unit back or can I jump from the 1st one?

Best to run separate wires to each amp. Sorry so late, just got back from car show.

I ended up calling a local shop and they said to just run the one wire to my amp and then a jumper wire to my other amp, it's just a remote and it will work no problem. But I've ran Into a couple other problems. First thing is our jig saw broke. So a new one will be bought tomorrow after work, and seconds (this really pisses me off) the holes for the sub mount are way to close. The mounting collars over lap. I'll be calling the guy I had build it tomorrow and see if he can make another and I'll ship this back or if I have to figure a way to make this work myself.

That sucks. If he makes you another one have him put a reinforcement baffle between the subs so the front panel of the box doesn't vibrate. Never understood the design without one on a box that size.

Well, can't return it. It's against policy. So Ill have to round out the holes a bit and turn them into ovals.

Finished it all today. Gotta cut some carpet and fiddle with the box to make it so te subs don't hit the back single seat but they hit and they are tuned almost perfectly. Very very happy with the sound!

First I had to take the rear paneling out to make room for the box. I did this a few months ago. But snapped a recent pic for reference
6c8451b4.jpg

Next was removing the seats. Pretty straight forward. Took about 10 minutes to do.
d8475f3a.jpg

Stripping the seat and making the physical amp rack.
68929583.jpg

making some cuts in the plastic and carpet. We didn think this through real well... I'm going to make this look nicer tomorrow by either taking out the exposed plastic, or by recovering it with carpet. Idk yet.
68929583.jpg

here is all is! My buddy helping wire the amps whiled bolt things back in.
6ff4e1e6.jpg

Vid of the untuned subs kicking. We havent spent
More than 30 seconds turning dials. Just an "IT LIVES" moment.
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab137/interscope8/696112db.mp4

Scope, you might have to leave the backseat Dow with those subs. They have alot of frontal extrusion. I see the amps aren't flush with the seatback either, may cause interference with the subs. Hopefully it all works out and doesn't damage the subs.
Looks great though, post some pictures of the seat up to see the clearance.

The amps fold up no problem. They don't interfere with anything. After an hour and a half of driving they weren't all that hot either. The subs don't touch the seat with it folded up, but they are really close. If I remove the plastic from that seat back as well and leave the foam, or at least cut that plastic, it will work perfectly.

Sounds good man. Just a little tweeking and you'll get it to fit perfect. I've been too busy to do anymore audio work with mine.

I am polishing up the same set-up... However I need to insulate the back of the truck cab and bolt down the sub box because it rattles like crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!! how did you get yours to not do that? haha

Looks sick man!!!

I haven't yet. I'll prolly just end up putting 2 L brackets on top and bolt straight into the cab and one on the side of the box and put a piece of egg crate foam behind it. I'm also going to put carpet all in that back section and make a little rack for my bottle jack and a row strap! Right now I'm still brainstorming on getting a solution to allow my driver side rear seat to not interfere with the subs.

Cut out the back of the seat like you did with the amps?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a tabled idea. If I could fix it without taking the seat out again I'd be happy.

Back