• Register Today It's free!

SCORE @ the junkyard!!!

Evil Eye

Reaction score
City, State
Surprise, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer XLT 4x4
No, this isn't a pathetic plot for a ****o. I got a BW 4405 @ the junkyard today for $125... :cool:

Walking around the first place didn't get us much. My buddy got a spare tire crank that he was looking for $20. Second place had a LOT more Explorers in it. Was looking under a buch of the vehicles and most had their engines, t-cases and tranny's removed as you would expect. So I was looking in the back of this one truck and there it was, already removed and everything. It was just sitting there begging me to buy it!

Hell, the cases alone are worth $350! I'm freakin' ecstatic. The only problem so far is that the front yoke assembly needs swapping. I'll know more once I tear this thing down! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice find! Frequenting the yards myself, nothing compares to finding a gem- especially if it's already removed and carefully layed in the vehicle! A few years ago I found a set of GT40P heads and a Cobra intake sitting in the back of a Mustang under some carpet in the spare tire cutout. Apparently someone didn't have enough money. That qualified as a $60 score! After $100 to mill the heads and a couple of days to port the lower intake, they ended up in my Mustang. I had to buy a new trim plate for the Cobra intake, but that was a good score. Saved me hours of pulling them from an Ex, even though I would have trather had the Explorer upper intake. Oh well... :D

DSCF0730.jpg

That's a sweet find, Joe! Man, I am so stoked!!! I got this thing taken apart yesterday and this thing looks almost brand new on the inside!!! Check it out...
The fluid is bright red and practically brand new... Even the plastic guides on the shift fork are still intact!!! :D
TransferCase002.jpg

Just cracked open. Look how clean it is!
TransferCase004.jpg

You can see the clutch pack with the 3 steel ball bearings.
TransferCase008.jpg

With the clutch pack removed, you can see the input shaft. Looks like some minor burning of tranny fluid on the input shaft, but the gears are all in great shape!
TransferCase009.jpg

Look how clean the inside of this thing is! That pickup screen looks brand new!
TransferCase010.jpg

The only thing that appears to be dirty inside this thing. Just some minor metal gunk on the magnet.
TransferCase012.jpg

Wow- that's a really clean unit! :thumbs up:

And- thank you for your service, Shawn... :salute:

Man, I am SO STOKED!!! I just need to get a new bearing for my output shaft and then I can start reassembly! :D I swear this thing was just rebuilt less than 10k miles ago!

Last week, I was quoted $700 for a unit with 170k miles on it and $850 for one with 100k miles on it... :D :D :D :D

PS. Oh and Danny's going to be pissed at me since we were supposed to go to the junkyard together when he got back from Wisconsin... Maybe he can help me score some new doors or something. :p:

Nice find! Frequenting the yards myself, nothing compares to finding a gem- especially if it's already removed and carefully layed in the vehicle! A few years ago I found a set of GT40P heads and a Cobra intake sitting in the back of a Mustang under some carpet in the spare tire cutout. Apparently someone didn't have enough money. That qualified as a $60 score! After $100 to mill the heads and a couple of days to port the lower intake, they ended up in my Mustang. I had to buy a new trim plate for the Cobra intake, but that was a good score. Saved me hours of pulling them from an Ex, even though I would have trather had the Explorer upper intake. Oh well... :D

DSCF0730.jpg

Why would you rather have the explorer intake? They are pretty similar, but the cobra intake flows a little better.

For all intents and purposes, they flow the same... I also think they look better than the Cobra intake- but that's just my personal preference.

Here is the AFM chart in case anyone was interested... It was a controlled Dyno run on Brant Obermeyer's 306. Link to the whole article is on Anderson's page in the tech articles if anyone is interested in reading the article.

intake5.jpg

Back