Scott B's 93 Ranger XLT V8 | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Scott B's 93 Ranger XLT V8

Wow, now that's perrty! Nice work Scott :thumbsup:

EDIT -- I still need to talk to you about Torsen's when you get the chance! I understand that your busy though, so no rush ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, now that's perrty! Nice work Scott :thumbsup:

EDIT -- I still need to talk to you about Torsen's when you get the chance! I understand that your busy though, so no rush ;)

I know - I keep forgetting. I do apologize. I will try for one evening this week.

Thats some awesome fab work scott, I love your tire carrier. Cant wait to build one myself.

Very nice build keep the updates and pics coming

GPS Mount

I can't believe I drilled holes in my pristine dash!

I installed a Ram Mount to mount my 60 CSx GPS to the dash. I considered a flexible arm mount, attached to the passenger seat seat bolt, but decided the GPS should be closer to my field of view while driving (thanks Tbars!)

As can be seen from the pictures, I had to tear the dash apart to be able to through-bolt the mounting base. It was a royal PITA to get the washers and nuts on the bolts, but the result is a very solid mount. And, it is in a good location for either driver or passenger viewing.

Attachments

• GPS 1.JPG
    GPS 1.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 877
  • GPS 2.JPG
    GPS 2.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 899
  • GPS 3.JPG
    GPS 3.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 908

A slight modification to the DashMat, and the mount looks like it came from the factory!

Another advantage to this location is the ability to receive signals from many satellites - I have been considering adding an external antenna, but I may not need to.

(You can also see my new CB - it didn't fit in the dash like the other one did. :()

Attachments

• GPS 4.JPG
    GPS 4.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 898
  • GPS 5.JPG
    GPS 5.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 895

Sleep Platform Install

I installed the sleeping platform today. It's not bolted down yet, but I have started on the process.

Seeing as I wanted the platform to be as big as possible (maybe not the best idea...) I had to pull the shell off to drop the pieces in. The shell hasn't been off the truck for about 10 years - it was really "stuck" to the bed rails! I grabbed a couple of pictures with the shell - really changed the look of the truck.

The fourth picture is a side-view of the forward section.

Attachments

• SP 11.JPG
    SP 11.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 887
  • SP 10.JPG
    SP 10.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 864
  • SP 9.JPG
    SP 9.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 913
  • SP 8.JPG
    SP 8.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 905

More pictures.

Attachments

• SP 13.JPG
    SP 13.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 864
  • SP 12.JPG
    SP 12.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 868

Bumper Trim Piece

I added a trim piece to my bumper.

It was a pretty nasty looking piece of aluminum - amazing what a few minutes with a buffer and Mother's will do!

Attachments

• Trim Plate.JPG
    Trim Plate.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 1,295

Sleeping Platform is in!

I have the sleeping platform installed and secured to the truck bed.

Here is a close-up of my mounting system. I installed 6 Cargo Boss Bed Bolts (3/8" inch) into the bed floor, then bolted int the angle braces. The angle is not sitting on the bed floor to allow the bolt to apply constant tension to the platform. (The will also the mounts to be tightened up if anything stretches, etc.)

Attachments

• SP 14.JPG
    SP 14.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 845
  • SP 15.JPG
    SP 15.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 862

I purchased some industrial-type carpet from the home center. Here you can see it all trimmed to fit, complete with access panel openings.

I need to add bias tape around all the edges, then glue the carpet to the platform.

Attachments

• SP 16.JPG
    SP 16.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 845
  • SP 17.JPG
    SP 17.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 839
  • SP 18.JPG
    SP 18.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 867

Pretty snazzy. Regular Hilton on wheels. :thumbsup:

Not quite! But, it is surprisingly roomy, as the platform is above the wheelwells. Limited headroom, however...

Hood Struts

I added some hood struts, just in time for my desert expedition.

Attachments

• IMG_1168.JPG
    IMG_1168.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 938

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back