Scotty's Insane 02' Ranger Baja Project | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Scotty's Insane 02' Ranger Baja Project

I've never been big on the Monster Truck projects, not that there is anything wrong with it, just not my thing.

I'm planning on something with a low CG, decent horsepower and smooth on the trails but will hit a few puddles as well.

I pulled the trigger this week with a pair of JBA Cat4ward Stainless Steel Silver Ceramic Coated Headers and a custom 2.5" exhaust with magnaflow exhaust (rear cat del).

Now that I got the less expensive part out of the way, it's time to start considering what I'm going to do from here. My plans are as follows. Please feel free to interject experiences and/or recommendations.

Rear Suspension:
Deaver Springs F31 $575.00
Dixon Bros Bed Cage $399.00
Dixon Bros Shock Tabs for Rear Spring Plate $75.00
FOA 2.5 16" Travel Reservoir Shocks $350.00

Front Suspension:
Dixon Bros 4wd Long Travel Suspension $3500.00
Dixon Bros Clevis Steering Kit $395.00
Dixon Bros Front Crossmember $75.00
FOA 2.5 14" Travel Reservoir Coil Over Shacks $440.00
FOA 2.5 4" Travel Bump Stops $300.00

Engine:
Explorer Express X-CHARGER 01-02 Ranger 4.0 SOHC with tuner
30# Injectors (Suggestions?)
255 LPH Fuel (Suggestions?)
Cam (Suggestions?)

This is going to be a very expensive project. I've done a few other projects in the past that I was very happy with. I'm a firm believer in suspension. Both the Evo and Miata have Tein Flex coilovers with modified sway bars and heim jointed end links. The Evo finished up around 400awhp the Miata not so much LOL. I"m a firm believer in that horsepower doesn't matter if you can't keep it on the track.

My Mitsu Evo Project

At the Tail of the Dragon:
evo.jpg

My Miata Project:
OpieAPE.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can't wait to see it:thumbsup:

i remember takin' my bike to "The Dragon" almost 20 years ago........ahhh good times:D

too bad that Deals Gap almost seems "off limits" anymore:thumbdwn:

l8r, John:cool:

Sounds awesome! You will probably be fine with a 16" shock in the rear, not sure I've seen a 17. No need for coilover if you are going with Deaver leaves. I suggest a 2.5 or 3.0 shock body to really get that thing under control. To me the jury is still out if bypasses are worth it for a recreational truck, my truck handles amazing but those things are loud in my cabin. In your truck bed it wouldn't matter nearly as much.

My truck did a lot of handstands on the front wheels until I got a good quality shock on the rear, now that it's setup it's a completely different animal.

Awesome. Why not link the rear if you are going to this much trouble ;)

i remember takin' my bike to "The Dragon" almost 20 years ago........ahhh good times:D

too bad that Deals Gap almost seems "off limits" anymore:thumbdwn:
Actually, there is a technique to getting away with a "spirited" drive up the dragon. It begins with going to Deals Gap for breakfast then driving back down the TN side. If you don't see any LEO, you have a clear run back to NC.

No need for coilover if you are going with Deaver leaves. I suggest a 2.5 or 3.0 shock body to really get that thing under control.
Right you are there, I wasn't thinking. BTW, I love Shar Peis, I used to raise them. Great dogs.

Awesome. Why not link the rear if you are going to this much trouble ;)
Link the rear? I'm pretty new to all this, particularly the terminology.

if you are trying to keep your costs down try www.f-o-a.com for shocks. and a 14" smooth body is what you want with that bedcage.
Thanks for the Link, I'll definitely be looking them up. I'll also have some questions about some of the choices like "compression" and "rebound" values. But there is plenty of time before I get there. Gotta have something to connect them to first LOL.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions before this is all said and done.

Lets see a pics of the truck now, so there will be good before and after.

Actually, there is a technique to getting away with a "spirited" drive up the dragon. It begins with going to Deals Gap for breakfast then driving back down the TN side. If you don't see any LEO, you have a clear run back to NC.

Right you are there, I wasn't thinking. BTW, I love Shar Peis, I used to raise them. Great dogs.

Link the rear? I'm pretty new to all this, particularly the terminology.

Thanks for the Link, I'll definitely be looking them up. I'll also have some questions about some of the choices like "compression" and "rebound" values. But there is plenty of time before I get there. Gotta have something to connect them to first LOL.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions before this is all said and done.

When the time comes to order shocks let me know, i can get you pretty set with the valving numbers. i run those FOA shocks and so far they are just as good as the big name King and Fox, but for half to cost.

To say "Why not link it for all the trouble" is a big understatement.

This "out of the box" set of arms is $4,195 and I think that is just the arms/mounts. Shocks and bedcage come seperate.

post-12-75377-LowerLinks_SM.jpg

You'll be spending close to $3K on your rear end alone if you buy some good shocks and Deavers.

This "out of the box" set of arms is $4,195 and I think that is just the arms/mounts. Shocks and bedcage come seperate.

post-12-75377-LowerLinks_SM.jpg

You'll be spending close to $3K on your rear end alone if you buy some good shocks and Deavers.

Jesus that's expensive. The BTF links are way cheaper then that and are bada**.

Attachments

• btflinks1.jpg
    btflinks1.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 1,118
  • btflinks2.jpg
    btflinks2.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,104

Wow that's way more than I'm looking to do. I'm not going to take on the "Off Road Circuit" LOL, I'm just going to hit some back trails and some old logging roads. However, I think it would be balls to run the Baja 500.

Back