• Register Today It's free!

Scraping Noise 2004 Ford Explorer

Phillip Becker

Reaction score
City, State
Lavon, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello everyone i am baffled on something. 3 weeks ago my buddy (Mechanic) and me wore checking the condition of the suspension due to a swaying issue on the interstate and a clunk. We pinpointed to the front sway links which wore completely broken. After we checked all that i went to work the next morning and noticed when i was turning right there was a scrapping noise almost sounds like the rotors are scraping the dust shield which is not the case. We did have the emergency brake on when we had the vehicle jacked up.

I am at a loss on this, it only scrapes when turning right again aluminum scraping sound. Does not scrape at all on the HWY. Does when speeds are reduced around 30 to 40 MPH. I have checked the brake shields and the brake caliper clips all good, brakes are good, and the front end is good, cannot figure it out, it is also still swaying on the hwy, my mechanic listened to the video i sent him of it while driving he said sounded like warped rotor, but not having the obvious symptons of that. Can you help not rich truck has 178000 miles the front hubs wore replaced with timkens about 5 years ago. The noise is driving me nuts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes everything looks secure on there same with the dust shield, i was told if it is the EBRAKE froze up it could cause damage to the hub and axel. i am lost at this i do have a video of it i could attach if i can figure that out

Check rear hubs. I had a noise at slow speed, clicking noise kind of went to a whirl sound at higher speed and then went away. More pronounced when turning. Hub noises usually go away when turning. I found out I had the hub nut was loose, tightened it up and the sound went away. at times it sounded like a rock caught between the shield and rotor.

Back