Scraping Windshield Wipers

Justyman87

2011 Ford Explorer Owner!
Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Today there was a pretty good downpour on Long Island requiring the wipers to be on low constantly. The issue I had is that there was almost a scraping noise coming from my windshield wipers which was quite annoying. It also splattered the water across the windshield which is quite dangerous. Does anyone else have this issue? What can I do about it? Should I take it to service?
- Justin

I’ll post a video in a little just updating my iPad for the moment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds to me like you just need new wipers. I've noticed with wipers that you definatly get what you pay for, and also they should be changed more ofter than most ppl change them.

Try cleaning your winshield with a good glass cleaner and fine steel wool.

Sounds to me like you just need new wipers. I've noticed with wipers that you definatly get what you pay for, and also they should be changed more ofter than most ppl change them.

Try cleaning your winshield with a good glass cleaner and fine steel wool.

Just got new wipers 2 weeks ago! Weren’t cheap if you ask me. Every pair I had (Had 3 since purchasing the car.) has had the same issue. I’ll try cleaning the windshield and doing what you suggested.

Here’s a YouTube video I made showing it. Hard to tell with my awesome music but you can see and hear a little what I am talking about. Funny thing is it only does it on low wiper mode and rain sensing. On fast mode it doesn’t. Also don’t listen to my voice I hate it. Thanks! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlK8uUAbq6s&feature=plcp

Another thing you could try; take a clean rag and some rubbing alcohol and wipe down the edge of the wipers several times to get any junk off of them. I had wipers that acted like that 1 time - I know how annoying that is!- but after I got new wipers it didnt do it anymore. I know in your area they probably have different wipers for different seasons, you might want to check in to that. Hope something here helps!

Just got new wipers 2 weeks ago! Weren’t cheap if you ask me. Every pair I had (Had 3 since purchasing the car.) has had the same issue. I’ll try cleaning the windshield and doing what you suggested.

Here’s a YouTube video I made showing it. Hard to tell with my awesome music but you can see and hear a little what I am talking about. Funny thing is it only does it on low wiper mode and rain sensing. On fast mode it doesn’t. Also don’t listen to my voice I hate it. Thanks! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlK8uUAbq6s&feature=plcp
The scraping or rubbing noise makes it seem as though the blade isn't flexing as the wiper moves back and forth. As for the splashing, I would think that is normal. I've had that happen especially in a good downpour when one wiper will throw some water onto the other wipers side.
I don't know about the steel wool thing. I'd be very hesitant to rub glass with steel wool.
I'm still on my first set of wipers and don't plan on changing them any time soon.

Peter

I recall seeing somewhere that what you're experiencing is called "wiper chatter".
It happens when the glass is not that wet.
Y / N ? :^O (!)

I don't know about the steel wool thing. I'd be very hesitant to rub glass with steel wool. I'm still on my first set of wipers and don't plan on changing them any time soon. Peter[/QUOTE said:
I learned that trick when I worked at a car dealership as a lot attendant. I do it now and then and it gets all the stuck on stuff off. It does not hurt the glass at all. Just use it with glass cleaner, not dry.

when i wax my vehicle, the cloth i use to remove the wax, i clean the windshield with, adds a small coat of wax, and does wonders in the rain.

Thanks guys tomorrow I’m going to probably get it washed and do your guys suggestions!

when i wax my vehicle, the cloth i use to remove the wax, i clean the windshield with, adds a small coat of wax, and does wonders in the rain.

Thats a good idea! Now I just have to get somebody to wax my truck lol

I recall seeing somewhere that what you're experiencing is called "wiper chatter".

:thumbsup:

Never heard of using steel wool. What I use on dirty, stained glass is a product called Bon Ami.(powder) Just sprinkle a little on a wet windshield and rub. Won't scratch. Find it in the cleaning aisle of the supermarket.

I don't think it was that. It was a pretty hefty downpour and with the wipers on on the rain sensor mode it went to a low setting the whole time. Plus even if it isn't that wet there is no reason that should happen. I saw a Toyota that didn't have this issue why should my Ford?

Never heard of using steel wool. What I use on dirty, stained glass is a product called Bon Ami.(powder) Just sprinkle a little on a wet windshield and rub. Won't scratch. Find it in the cleaning aisle of the supermarket.

Bon Ami is far better for the windshield than steel wool. Steel wool will put fine scratches in the windshield.

What you were hearing was wiper chatter as described above. Not enough water on the windshield for the wiper setting you chose.

I take it you have't driven much in the rain before...

Bon Ami is far better for the windshield than steel wool. Steel wool will put fine scratches in the windshield.

What you were hearing was wiper chatter as described above. Not enough water on the windshield for the wiper setting you chose.

I take it you have't driven much in the rain before...

Living on Long Island I have just not as much as you guys probably. Remember this is my first car. Just don’t understand how since I got the car it has done this. Plus the Ford Explorer really doesn’t have that many options on lowering the wiper speed. Basically it’s rain sensor, low and high. Also whats funny is that it would do it not do it do it not do it like every other wipe it would do the scraping or chatter.

Clean the wipers with alcohol. Clean the windshield with alcohol. Wax the winshield with Turtle wax Ice. It specifically says it can be used on windshields, and it does work well.......best regards Plum

Do you park the vehicle near any trees? Tree sap can cause the wipers to chatter.

You don't have intermittent wipers with the rain sensors? If not, I'm darn glad I got it without the rain sensors.

Do you park the vehicle near any trees? Tree sap can cause the wipers to chatter.

You don't have intermittent wipers with the rain sensors? If not, I'm darn glad I got it without the rain sensors.
According to the Owner's Guide, there are no interval (intermittent wipes) settings on vehicles with the rain-sensing wipers. Come to think of why would it be needed when you can set the sensitivity to wipe more or less often.
Having said that. I just went out and turned the rain-sensing wipers to OFF. I then turned the wiper knob on and the wipers worked. As I continued to rotate the knob, the time periods for the wipes shortened.
So it seems that vehicles with rain-sensing wipers can also use the intermittent wipe by turning the the rain-sensing system OFF and using the wipers as usual for intermittent settings.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to the Owner's Guide, there are no interval (intermittent wipes) settings on vehicles with the rain-sensing wipers. Come to think of why would it be needed when you can set the sensitivity to wipe more or less often.
Having said that. I just went out and turned the rain-sensing wipers to OFF. I then turned the wiper knob on and the wipers worked. As I continued to rotate the knob, the time periods for the wipes shortened.
So it seems that vehicles with rain-sensing wipers can also use the inetrmittent wipe by turning the the rain-sensing system OFF and using the wipers as usual for intermittent settings.

Peter

Cool I’m going to try that.
- Justin

Back