Screamin’ Deamon Coil Pack Installation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Screamin’ Deamon Coil Pack Installation

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Since I am always on the hunt for more engine efficiency and its consequential better gas mileage, I decided to look into aftermarket ignitions.

Urban legion proclaims the stock Ford ignition is all one needs for stock and lightly modded motors. Since I believe in science and data not legion, I decided to try an aftermarket coil. Legions are parroted by many, tested by few, and often are simply untrue.

The Screamin’ Deamon coil pack was designed to produce a longer duration spark and allows spark plug gap to be opened to 0.060-0.065”. This should burn the fuel more efficiently for increased performance and gas mileage ( hence, my main interest ). This coil pack is manufactured by Performance Distributors ( http://www.performancedistributors.com/coils.htm ).

I ordered the new coil pack from Wayne, the owner of Underdog-Performance ( http://www.stuffforyourranger.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_39&products_id=162 ). $94.00 ( about the same price as a replacement stock Motorcraft coil pack ) delivered to my door in a big brown truck. Wayne is a good guy and a highly recommended vendor with first class customer service.

The Screamin’ Deamon coil pack is not a direct fit due to the spark plug wiring sequence; however, it is a direct bolt on. I was made aware of this prior to ordering and my install ( from Wayne [ installed on a Ranger ] and a gentleman from the Sport Trac site [ Todd Z ] who installed one on his Sport Trac ). Further, the truck’s wiring harness to the coil pack mounts in a vertical manner with the new coil pack whereas the stock one mounts horizontally; this presented little difficulty

The spark plug wire sequence on the coil pack has to be changed from the stock configuration. Spark plug number on old coil ( changed on new coil [ in parenthesis ] ): 1 (4), 2 (6), 3 (5), 5 (3), 6 (2), and 4 (1). Wayne provided me the new wire sequence. I permanently marked the new spark plug wire numbers on the coil pack terminals, in the unlikely event that someone else might service the truck.

This install is the first one on an Explorer.

The removal of the coil pack is simple. All one needs to do is take out the spark plug wires ( be sure to mark them ) and remove the four T 25 Torx screws securing the coil pack; the two closest to the intake manifold are more difficult to access; removal of the power brake booster vacuum line made access easier. To install simply reverse the removal procedure.

The installation took less than 15 minutes.

Since a spark plug and wire replacement is not required at this time, I used my old ones ( Motorcraft double platinum spark plugs and Jacobs wires [ http://www.jacobselectronics.com/RaceInfo.aspx?BrandID=13 ] with only 65k miles on them ). I did not re gap the old spark plugs; there was no way I would pull the spark plugs to re gap and not replace with new ones.

Initial impressions: I instantly noticed a smoother idle ( and that alone is well worth the price for me ). No improvement in power ( via the highly subjective seat of the britches method ) was noticed, nor was it expected, during initial road testing. The truck still starts instantaneously. A brief test drive around town showed no drivability improvements ( again, none was expected ).

I shall be making a long road trip in the near future to evaluate the effect of the Screamin’ Deamon coil pack on gas mileage ( with my existing wires and spark plugs ). This will be followed ( around Christmas ) with testing with new spark plug wires and spark plugs with a wider (0.60–0.65” ) gap on a 1200 mile trip. Also a dyno session is not far off.

Attachments

• screamin.jpg
    screamin.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 7,102
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 7,571
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 9,651

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when i installed a kit from performance distributors(ordered directly from them)
on my mustang, it came with the coil, module, cap, rotor, and wires. the live wires they sell are guaranteed a very low resistance and come with a radio supression sleeve. my mustang gained 21hp and went from 18 mpg highway to 28 mpg(a tune up was almost needed so im sure that had something to do with the numbers)they suggested to use autolite double platinum plugs.
I highly recommend any of their products.
aldive do you have a pic of it installed?

very nice write up al, glad to see the install went very well. may look into this because of a few issues i have with the idle of my truck. thank you for the product review, always a nice thing to have.

The "smooth idle" thing was something I noticed when I replaced the packs on my V8 with MSD. I definitely haven't noticed any MPG improvements but the idle thing seems to be sticking around. While a mod like this may not cause a significant improvement, it can't hurt either. I like trying new things out too.

Good write up.

While a mod like this may not cause a significant improvement, it can't hurt either. I like trying new things out too.

Yes but the synergistic effect of all the little mods sure adds up.

than document it Al, prove that it actually did something, bye the bye, how did your window fan program go?:D

-----------
You know Al, at first I thought it didn't make any sense for you to take off your roof racks, shine your EX, do all those seemingly small things but now that you posted this it makes sense to me. You are right, they do add up and you have proven this!:thumbsup:
BTW: I keep a BIG eye open to your 30mpg thread. I have found some good pros and cons advice there about different products and mods you use. My oldest son used your findings to decide what electric fan to use on his wifes EX.

still waiting for some hard numbers. I still believe that on a V6 you're not going to see much (if any) kind of improvement. I have been know to be wrong though :confused:

I have the same screamin Deamon coil from performance distributors, and i gained 3 mpg city/highway. Did not notice any HP gain but the idle was much better with an increase in throttle responce. I also ordered the spark plug wires from then as well.

I have the same screamin Deamon coil from performance distributors, and i gained 3 mpg city/highway. Did not notice any HP gain but the idle was much better with an increase in throttle responce. I also ordered the spark plug wires from then as well.

Did you open the spark plug gap?

Yep... 0.65" to be exact. I think U would be much happier with the plug wires that comes with the coil as they seem to work better then the OEM wires.

Aldive I was just looking on underdog performances website and saw that the model year for this coil pack only went up to 2000. Would this coil pack also work on a 2001 sport? I'm preety sure the answer is going to be yes. However before actually commiting to a purchase i would like to know. Thanks.

As far as I know yes. Contact Underdog to confirm.

Good luck ....

Hey,Al :)
I'm new at the forum,and i very much like your posts.Where do i get that coil pack?Will it fit at my 94 4.0 liter?I have read at your post that it's got a different firing pattern,so is there any kind of a diagram included with the coil pack?Seems like i've been trying to get one forever LOL.Thanks very much.
Ray

Hey,Al :)
I'm new at the forum,and i very much like your posts.Where do i get that coil pack?Will it fit at my 94 4.0 liter?I have read at your post that it's got a different firing pattern,so is there any kind of a diagram included with the coil pack?Seems like i've been trying to get one forever LOL.Thanks very much.
Ray

From the first post in this thread .....

I ordered the new coil pack from Wayne, the owner of Underdog-Performance ( http://www.stuffforyourranger.com/st...roducts_id=162 ). $94.00 ( about the same price as a replacement stock Motorcraft coil pack ) delivered to my door in a big brown truck. Wayne is a good guy and a highly recommended vendor with first class customer service.

I recommend addressing the fit questions to the supplier.

Good luck ....

I just ordered this thing for my X. Back in June I put in new Denso Iridium plugs and Magnecore 8mm wires- notice improved performance.

The plugs and wires should compliment this device.

I have always been a big proponent of Voltage enhancers, had one in my '79 6.6 T/A, my '91 5.0 Musclestang and my 1993 MR2 Turbo in the form of a full MSD ignition system.

If anything it will increase throttle response and keep those plugs free of carbon, also increase tire smokin potential. :burnout:

After much testing, this coil pack did not improve gas mileage any.

However, in all fairness, I did not open the plug gap. I plan on opening the gap on new plugs and wires in the near future and retest the mileage.

Just called..will work with my 2002 4.0 sohc. Guy said same as Aldive the 2 banks were moved over so you have to change wiring. Nice. More mileage would ge great and this is not a huge investment for a potential mpg gain.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been pondering whether this coil pack actually did anything for me. Therefore, I took it out and replaced with the stock coil pack to see any differences.

The idle quality was definitely worse with the stock pack and immediately improved when the SD coil pack was reinstalled.

I could tell no difference in drive ability.

Remember, I did not regap the plugs as is recommended.

Back