screwed myself big time during transmission instal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

screwed myself big time during transmission instal

Georgie

Reaction score
City, State
montreal canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL
Hey guys..i was instaling my transmission and had a real hard time to get the converter in. Turned out my input shaft wasnt properly seated. Anyways make a long story short i read that i should jack up the engine to keep it from sloping during instalation. So i did and bent the oil pan and it started to leak from the sides. I still have the tranny out.

How do i change the oil pan? Its a 1999 sohc 4x4. Should i proceed to instal the tranny and deal with the motor oil pan later or should i attack the oil pan befor installing the tranny??

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd go ahead and do the oil pan now, while the tranny is still out. Might make getting to things a lot easier!

YeH the oil pan came off no ppproblemo. Just took off the oil pan bolts and it slid right off. Wanna go pick one up tmr... Is it okay to leave the engine exposed like that for a day?

Its weired..every thread i read about it says i need to lift the motor..even my haynes manual says to take out the motor.. it just came out no headaches at all....

Its weired..every thread i read about it says i need to lift the motor..even my haynes manual says to take out the motor.. it just came out no headaches at all....

are you sure you're reading for the CORRECT engine? 99 had 2 different 4L V6 engines.

YeH the oil pan came off no ppproblemo. Just took off the oil pan bolts and it slid right off. Wanna go pick one up tmr... Is it okay to leave the engine exposed like that for a day?

Probably but you'll kick yourself if the wind picks up and blows grit all up in your crankcase.

Put the bent pan back on for the time being.

As for the engine tilt; you don't want it to tilt too far, it puts strain on the rubber engine mounts and might break them as well as the engine leaning on the soft bits attached to the firewall.

You want a little bit of tilt so you can get to the bell housing bolts.
I use a precisely cut piece of wood stuck under the back of the engine to hold it in just the right place.

If you have an XL or XLS doesn't it have the OHV for all years prior to 2001??

the SOHC was first available in '97. i don't know that it wasn't available in any particular model.

the SOHC was first available in '97. i don't know that it wasn't available in any particular model.

We got the SOHC in '96.

So hopefuflly.the ford dealer has.those.new oil pans with the drain pointing down. If not.im gonna modifie it.befor putting it.in. do i have to order a new gasket? The one thhat came off was metal...

FYI: replacement oil pans for your engine are available on-line for around $55. i'm guessing the dealership will want quite a bit more. i'd replace the gasket (cheap insurance).

For some reason I thought the XL/XLS only came with the OHV; I see now that the SOHC was an option.

it must have been a late production model '96. what is your build date?

I've seen a lot of them, it must be an export thing.
We didn't get pre '96, Explorers started coming in in 1996, most with SOHC.
The manuals were OHV of course.

It's cold and dark out there now, I'll look at the build plate tomorrow.

I've seen a lot of them, it must be an export thing.
We didn't get pre '96, Explorers started coming in in 1996, most with SOHC.
The manuals were OHV of course.

It's cold and dark out there now, I'll look at the build plate tomorrow.

ah, maybe. i didn't notice you were in Australia.

Also - the SOHC has two "oil pans" The very bottom one which is small and easy to remove is stamped steel - I'm sure this is the one he is replacing. The other is a cast aluminum piece that functions as an oil pan and a girdle for the main caps.

Also - the SOHC has two "oil pans" The very bottom one which is small and easy to remove is stamped steel - I'm sure this is the one he is replacing. The other is a cast aluminum piece that functions as an oil pan and a girdle for the main caps.

Yes, the ladder frame oil pan is the hard one to get off. Need to raise the engine.

OP why not go the the wreckers for your oil pan. A used one came off, and a used one goes on . $10 maybe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ah, maybe. i didn't notice you were in Australia.

My parts car, the XLT has a September 1996 build plate.
I have to wait for the Limited to come home.

Back