• Register Today It's free!

SCT custom tunes.

KevinZwick

Reaction score
City, State
southeast Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS
Hey guys. Im new to the site but im wondering how much power i can get out of a custom tune on an SCT x3. I dont have the tuner yet but am debating on buying it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

KevinZwick

Reaction score
City, State
southeast Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS
sorry i forgot to mention i got an 03 explorer 4.0L Sohc. thanks for the help whoever might can answer.

Sams01XplrSprt

Southern Cali Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport (sold)
welcome

Carguy3J

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
North East New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD
I don't know an exact HP#, but I would guess approx. 20-25hp. I can tell you it is well worth it. I'm sure many members would agree. Most people on here got their's from James @ Henson Performance.

Just the changes he made to the trans shifts (timing, firmness,etc...) made it feel like a whole new truck.

While the tuning is great on it's own (on a bone stock vehicle), it really shines when combined with some other basic mods. Cold Air Intake, cat-back exhaust,etc... I think your '03 has the "Drive-By-Wire" Electronic throttle??? If so, I believe he can really make some improvements with the "feel" of that setup too.

A bone-stock 2nd gen Explorer, like mine, will usually run the 1/4 in the high 16's to low 17's. With a K&N FIPK and and XCAL3 w/ Henson tunes, I've ran 15.87. That's a little over a second off the stock 1/4 mile e.t

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

explorerguy89

Reaction score
City, State
West Berlin, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 sas sport
welcome to the site

celly

disturber of the peace
Reaction score
City, State
calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eb 5.0 awd
Ya gotta do what Brooklyn said and find James at Henson Performance. He'll give you real answers.

Welcome to EF.

KevinZwick

Reaction score
City, State
southeast Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS
thanks. I ordered k&n intake and it will be here in a few days. I will most likely order the SCT and try to contact james. my truck still has the throttle cable. no electric. I bought the helix throttle body spacer and if anyone is wondering about it, its not that noticeable. very slightly noticeable. i tried the tornado inline vortex thing and it done the same exact thing as the throttle body spacer and at a quarter of the cost. But thats the only performance mods i've done so far. right now 0-60 in 9.2.

Thinking about 3.73 gears instead of 3.55 too. Tires are wider but still the same height as stock. I know the sport has the 3.73 and test driving one felt like it had more jump in low gear. of course theres a weight difference and suspension too though.

But anyways thanks guys. im gonna go try to upload a pic on here.