• Register Today It's free!

Sct SF3 Tuner custom tune

andrewlcarson

Reaction score
City, State
Olive Branch, Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 Eddie Bauer
I recently bought a SF3 tuner and downloaded it to my explorer and I feel that it made a good difference. I have read where people have gotten custom tunes and seen an even better gain in horsepower and torque. I would like to know if a custom tune would actually make a bigger difference than the preloaded tunes loaded to the SF3. Thank you.

1997 5.0 eddie bauer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Custom tunes will depend on the level of modifications to your vehicle. For a stock vehicle the preloaded tunes are about as good as it will get. If you have many modifications to your engine though, a custom tune will be better.

Well I have a cold air intake and I dumped the exhaust right after the first pair of cats. I plan to get torque monster headers whenever they become available again.

On yours, you should be fine with the preloaded tunes. Once you add a cam, throttle body, larger MAF, etc, you'll want a custom tune.

Yeah if I added all of those things I might as well go to forced induction. I always just mixed arguments about the throttle body spacer. Some say it works, others just calm its a waste of money. People on here get tunes with just a cold air intake and I have allowed more air to be pulled in (cold air intake) and let it flow freely out (dumped exhaust) so I'm not so close to stock. I'm just looking to get as much out of my explorer as I can without going over board, but I thank you for your time.

I'm just looking to get as much out of my explorer as I can without going over board.

What do you consider "going overboard"? You have a 1997. It's now 2012. How much are you willing to spend to mod a 15 year old car? Wouldn't that money be better spent on.......?????

Spend whatever you feel comfortable with. Let's face it. The car itself holds very little resale value, and you will never get out of it what you put into it. So consider every penny spent outside of maintenance to keep it running, wasted.

But with that being said, there are still plenty of us who like our old cars. Myself, and many others, have already spent more on the car than it is worth. The most important thing is that you enjoy what you're doing with your car.

How much did you already spend on that SCT? You might as well have a custom tune written. After all, you already own the device. A device which is used to load custom tunes and dyno tunes. That's like buying a coffee maker, only to get hot water, and not making any coffee.

Wanted to bump this topic back up. I am in the Northeast, any of you guys have a good Dyno person you recommend out this way with an AWD dyno and will set the tune up in a programmer for me? :thumbsup:

You can go to SCT's website, www.sctflash.com they have a dealer locator on there or just do a google search "SCT custom tune dealers". That usually give a couple of good tuners.

I recently bought a SF3 tuner and downloaded it to my explorer and I feel that it made a good difference. I have read where people have gotten custom tunes and seen an even better gain in horsepower and torque. I would like to know if a custom tune would actually make a bigger difference than the preloaded tunes loaded to the SF3. Thank you.

1997 5.0 eddie bauer.

A custom tune could unlock more power and torque, but could also compromise drivability and reliability. If you have any performance mods, it's the only way to tune the vehicle as the strategy (preloaded) tunes are for stock to lightly modified vehicles (catback exhaust,cai)

Well I now have Torque Monster Headers, straight piped with only two cats, and a cold air intake. Will the pre-loaded tunes still cover those improvements. I have nothing left to improve on my explorer. Anything else would cost thousands, (super/turbo charging.) I have now moved to improving the little things, (headlights/tail lights, full 5% window tint, touch screen radio.) I am also running 20x10 wheels which DEFIANTLY made my explorer slower, along with making my speedo 5 down from what it really is. Would getting a custom tune do anything, or should I just stick with what I got.

If you wanna see my explorer, here is the link to a video I made for the forum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th_EG9mKvZA

Well I now have Torque Monster Headers, straight piped with only two cats, and a cold air intake. Will the pre-loaded tunes still cover those improvements. I have nothing left to improve on my explorer. Anything else would cost thousands, (super/turbo charging.) I have now moved to improving the little things, (headlights/tail lights, full 5% window tint, touch screen radio.) I am also running 20x10 wheels which DEFIANTLY made my explorer slower, along with making my speedo 5 down from what it really is. Would getting a custom tune do anything, or should I just stick with what I got.

If you wanna see my explorer, here is the link to a video I made for the forum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th_EG9mKvZA

Contact a custom tune dealer with a list of modifications to the the vehicle (headers, CAI, oversized tires, etc., etc..)and the vehicles strategy code or the box code on the PCM, and they can write a tune for you that will calibrate the strategy to the modifications.

RC

The closest vender to me is quite far, and I'm sure they will charge me a whole lot more. What about Hensen. I have heard people from this forum LOVE to get tunes from him. Is he still around?

The closest vender to me is quite far, and I'm sure they will charge me a whole lot more. What about Hensen. I have heard people from this forum LOVE to get tunes from him. Is he still around?

You can have the tunes emailed to you and then you can load them to your device yourself. There's software available on the web. Here's a link:

http://sctflash.com/software/SCTDeviceUpdater.exe

RC

How much is a custom tune going to cost? Can I just email him or should I call?

Back