Sea Foam Insertion Point | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sea Foam Insertion Point

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Several have said that the power brake booster vacuum line is not a good insertion point for a Sea Foam treatment. They postulate that it will only feed Sea Foam to the back 2 cylinders resulting in a very incomplete cleaning..

I have used the power brake booster vacuum line to treat my SOHC with Sea Foam for years, I have been very happy with the results. I question those who say the power brake booster vacuum line is a bad choice for insertion.

However, as you can see from the attached picture, the power brake booster vacuum line attaches to the upper intake manifold. Granted its location on the manifold is closest to the rear cylinders. Yet, with the motor running, as is required for the Sea Foam treatment, there is considerable vacuum throughout the entire intake manifold.

In this reduced pressure environment, I contend that the Sea Foam will be exposed to the entire inside of the intake manifold and reach each cylinder,

Attachments

• 84782659.gif
    84782659.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 5,051

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a pic of the smoke screen after using Sea Foam as described in the above post.

The picture is after the motor was off for 15 minutes after the Sea Foam treatment.

Please note: the smoke output seen in the picture is at idle; I was aloe and could not â€￾get in the throttleâ€￾ to produce the voluminous smoke cloud. The cloud was indeed present.

Attachments

• seafoam treatment.jpg
    seafoam treatment.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 5,045

I would love to do this but don't have a clue as to where anything is on the SOHC engine..i have put a pint through the fuel lines (gas tank) as per the directions on the back and i would love too hit the intake/brake booster line also since my X has about 75,000 on it now.

Any real pictures would help or very detailed drawn ones also.

Thanks.

I sent it through the brake booster line also on my OHV. I didn't notice much improvment but the smoke screen was definately there. I hope that smoke didn't mess up your Zaino aerodynamics ;)

So does it work better than ATF and carb cleaner? anyone ever use it and then look at the ports/chambers?

What kind of mpg do you get in your 99 X? Is the flow 70 a Flowmaster 70 series and if so did it help your mileage?

thanks for the pic. Looks cool. LOL. Now I need to do this on my 5.0 AWD.

jlwdmd2006 said:
What kind of mpg do you get in your 99 X? Is the flow 70 a Flowmaster 70 series and if so did it help your mileage?

As far as mu mileage goes, take a look at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44372&highlight=quest

Yes, the Flow 70 is a Flowmaster 70 Series ( http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/cgi-bin/flowmaster/70series.html?id=A98jqLo6 ). I went with this muffler because it is relatively quiet inside the truck at highway speeds. The muddler when combined with cat back 2.5 inch piping does indeed increase mileage ( if you keep your foot out of it ).

I always though the same with the vacuum theory that it was sucked into the other cylinders, i felt a difference after doing it.

I have done quite a bit of research and development for Hi Performance engines.

Lets put this in terms that alot of people will understand.

If you were to place only 1 additional fuel injector on an engine, where would you place it, and why? Where would be the 'optimal' place?

In a non-Direct Port injection system, where is the fuel introduced? Why?

If this were a nitrous-fed engine, would you put a nitrous injector in place of the brake booster hose? Or would you put it in as close to the TB as possible?

The vacuum, and airflow characteristics (that is a LONG@$$ word to type) dictate that the 'fog' or 'mist' your introducing into the intake air charge will be directed from that point in the intake to the REAR.

Ryan

Spdrcer34 said:
I have done quite a bit of research and development for Hi Performance engines.

Lets put this in terms that alot of people will understand.

If you were to place only 1 additional fuel injector on an engine, where would you place it, and why? Where would be the 'optimal' place?

In a non-Direct Port injection system, where is the fuel introduced? Why?

If this were a nitrous-fed engine, would you put a nitrous injector in place of the brake booster hose? Or would you put it in as close to the TB as possible?

The vacuum, and airflow characteristics (that is a LONG@$$ word to type) dictate that the 'fog' or 'mist' your introducing into the intake air charge will be directed from that point in the intake to the REAR.

Ryan

Puting it in the best area makes sense. However does that mean that puting it in the rear will not make it to the rest of the area? It doesn't have to run continous or run best from the rear just enough to clean. Just curious because its much easier for people to just put in the brake booster hose.

Spdrcer34 said:

So, are you saying that if you put Sea Foam in thru the TB, it will only feed the REAR cylinders?
:confused:

I have used BB line for years for Sea Foam; but the last time I used the TB vac port; Sea Foam has always worked for me, but it remains to be seen how long it works...in the past I have had to do it about every 10,000 miles or so, or else the pinging gremlin returns at partial throttle. Maybe putting it in thru the TB this time will mean I can go 15,000 miles before the ping returns. I will just have to wait and see.

I put it thru my brake booster line and I got barely a puff of smoke. I not sure if that means my engine was already pretty clean or that it didn't work too well. I was looking forward to the smoke show too.

Hartman said:
I put it thru my brake booster line and I got barely a puff of smoke. I not sure if that means my engine was already pretty clean or that it didn't work too well. I was looking forward to the smoke show too.

I too once wondered if a clean motor would yield little or no smoke. I did a test .... I did a Sea Foam treatment and got copious amounts of smoke and after the smoke cleared I did another treatment on a supposedly clean motor and again got copious smoke. I have never no got a smoke screen in any motor car, truck, boat, that I treated.

So, are you saying that if you put Sea Foam in thru the TB, it will only feed the REAR cylinders?

I am saying that the FRONT cylinders will get fed, just as well as the REAR cylinders. If you introduce the SF into the MIDDLE/REAR of the intake, only the MIDDLE/REAR cylinders get fed. Period.

Ryan

Oh, just drill and tap a port on you intake manifold! Problem solved! :confused: ;) :p

i have to disagree using the brake booster line on the sohc will mostly feed the drivers side cylinders for it to reach the pass side it would have to be sucked all the way around the intake manifold by the throttle body to get to the other cylinders. i prefer to ise the tube from the intake hose that goes to the iac. because all the air that the engine is using at idle is comming through that line. there is also considerable amount more vaccum through that line and it feeds all cylinders evenly the only thing you have to do different is unplug the maf if you dont the engine will stall when the hose is dissconnected through the intake.

that is also why it takes twice as much seafoam to get the same amount of smoke when you do it through the iac

Became a believer in seafoam today, would never have gone to buy the stuff but at the parts store it was on the counter, $5.40 per can, what the hell.
Removed the booster hose, tie wrapped in a vertical position to the throttle cable, stuck a funnel in it.
Removed the SOHC plastic cover so as to be able to actuate the throttle by hand,slowly poured in about half a can, revving the engine when it stumbled.
Smoked like a banshee.
Shut it down, put all back in order, took it for a 1 mile drive, my truck has always had a less than perfect Idle, when I pulled into the driveway, I actually had to look at my tach, did not think the engine was even running, it was that smooth, no joke.
As to the smokeing?
have not a clue as to what that means, pour any petro product into the TB, I believe it will smoke, is white smoke so I do not think it's carbon, nevertheless, seafoam is good s$$T

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put some seafoam through the intake of my 99 a couple of weeks ago. The results were great! I can feel a difference in the pull or power at RPM's under 2000 along with improved smoothness and idle. Have not driven enough to see about milage. Because of the other threads saying not to use the brake booster, I searched out a line under the throttle body that runs behind all the pulleys down to the vapor management valve (that was described on that thread). Turns out that it had a quick connect that you only have to squeeze to remove and can reach under the battery without removing anything. I just taped a piece of tube in the fitting and ran it to a funnel up near the radiator. Because it was a smaller line it was not hard to keep the truck running. I think that valve is on all 2nd gen's. I don't know if this way works the best, but it might be the easiest.

Back