Sea Foam, pcv valve, and maf sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sea Foam, pcv valve, and maf sensor

Ranger482

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 xlt
Hi all,

I have a 98 explorer with a 4.0 sohc and gonna be doing a tune up soon(plugs, wires, etc.) and have a few questions

First, what is sea foam and how is it used? Does it really clean the motor as good as everyone says and is it easy to use? Where can it be bought?

Secondly, how often should the pcv valve be replaced? I havent done mine yet, and am at 147,000 miles.

Lastly, can the maf sensor be cleaned without damaging it and what should be used? I was thinking brake cleaner bit idk. any suggestions?

Thank you for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all,

I have a 98 explorer with a 4.0 sohc and gonna be doing a tune up soon(plugs, wires, etc.) and have a few questions

First, what is sea foam and how is it used? Does it really clean the motor as good as everyone says and is it easy to use? Where can it be bought?

Secondly, how often should the pcv valve be replaced? I havent done mine yet, and am at 147,000 miles.

Lastly, can the maf sensor be cleaned without damaging it and what should be used? I was thinking brake cleaner bit idk. any suggestions?

Thank you for your time.

I've never used it, but theres about 100 threads about it search the site using the little searchy thing.

i'd say 30000 or 40000 miles its cheap insurance

Its called electric parts cleaner, it will actualy say on the can safe for mafs, umm brake cleaner will actualy strip paint its rather nasty stuff id save it for your next brake job

Mate ,I use liquid co and let it dry naturally as Brooklyn Bay says be very careful how you do it cheers Barry

Back